LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear sunshade help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 06:33 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear sunshade help

Hello All,

My rear sunshade is not going all the way up when I park or put it in drive (past 5 mph). I am not sure but I think my rear side sunshades are not going all the way up too. The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is my credit card key battery died. I didn't have time to go inside the house and replace the battery so I used the physical key and started the vehicle by puting the credit card key next to the start button. Even after I replaced the battery in my credit card key, the rear sunshade is not going extending all the way. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thank you.

Last edited by USLEX; 08-19-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 08:35 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Are you able to use the switches on the console near the gear shift to move the rear deck sunshade up and down? Same with the rear door shades.

For the rear deck shade, check if anything is obstructing the shade as it tries to go up.

If that doesn't work then something else is wrong. The battery in your key shouldn't really have anything to do with the problem that you have.
Old 08-20-19, 10:26 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Are you able to use the switches on the console near the gear shift to move the rear deck sunshade up and down? Same with the rear door shades.

For the rear deck shade, check if anything is obstructing the shade as it tries to go up.

If that doesn't work then something else is wrong. The battery in your key shouldn't really have anything to do with the problem that you have.
I will double check there is nothing obstructing the back deck. I can use the switch to move the rear shade up or down. Same applies to the side windows - switches work fine.
Old 08-20-19, 02:01 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

And the window shades and rear sunshade move up and down fully? If so you should be in good shape as the shades are mechanically and electrically functioning.

I used to have a 2002 LS 430 and periodically the rear sunshade would misbehave. It would not go back up after a reverse followed by a forward drive > 5 mph. I was usually able to fix it by stopping the car and using the switch to lower the shade fully and then raise it fully.

Also check the condition of the car's 12 V battery. When the battery is weak all kinds of electrical gremlins strike. The only way to address them is to replace the battery if it is no longer able to power the car adequately.
Old 08-22-19, 02:54 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
And the window shades and rear sunshade move up and down fully? If so you should be in good shape as the shades are mechanically and electrically functioning.

I used to have a 2002 LS 430 and periodically the rear sunshade would misbehave. It would not go back up after a reverse followed by a forward drive > 5 mph. I was usually able to fix it by stopping the car and using the switch to lower the shade fully and then raise it fully.

Also check the condition of the car's 12 V battery. When the battery is weak all kinds of electrical gremlins strike. The only way to address them is to replace the battery if it is no longer able to power the car adequately.
Good point! I have been on this battery since 2012 I think. I don't put many miles on my car. It is a 2008 and has almost 65K miles on it. The first battery was replaced under warranty since it died under 4 years. Saved me about $400 as I recall. Damn LS600h batteries are way too expensive and there are no aftermarket ones available as far as I know. The only difference I am aware of is there is a thermal sensor of some sort on this battery vs. a LS460 battery.
Old 06-12-21, 06:40 AM
falconx
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I found in the documentation. Perhaps your sunshade system is out of sync after a battery removal.

RESET REAR DOOR SUNSHADE SYSTEMNOTICE:The rear curtain position reset operation must be performed when one of the following occurs: 1) battery removal and installation; 2) ECU reset; or 3) jam protection related detachment.
  1. Turn the power switch ON.
  2. Push the front or rear switch's rear door sunshade switch.
    HINT: The motor must be moved in the lowering direction.
  3. Push the front or rear switch's rear door sunshade switch.
    HINT: Make sure that the rear curtain raises.
RESET REAR DOOR SUNSHADE POSITION AFTER DETACHMENTNOTICE:
  • If the curtain is operating and detaches as a result of the jam protection function, the motor must be operated in the raise direction in order to return it to normal.
  • If the motor is not returned to normal, the cover may not close properly during the lowering operation.
  1. After the rear curtain stops at the fully raised position, continue holding the switch for 5 seconds.
    Stopped → Raising → Stopped at fully raised position → 5 seconds
Otherwise, perhaps the gears are broken:

Last edited by falconx; 06-12-21 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added a video
Old 06-12-21, 09:35 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

I went in through Techstream and set the rear shade to stay up all the time. It does not go down when I put it into reverse. The side shades do not go down unless the windows are opened. I see no reason to have the rear shade go up and down unless I want it to.

Dennis
Old 12-30-21, 01:49 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the video Falcon! I'm guessing mine is that exact same problem.

i showed my wife how much effort would be required to repair her rear shade. She said "Forget it!"

I'm off the hook on this one. LOL
Old 01-05-22, 04:13 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just fixed my rear shade last week it took me 5 hrs. and it did have a broken geer the same on that is on the vidio. The little piece was in the same spot .Mine would not go down the last half so iit made taken the 3 screws a ln the back very hard.It was not difficult just time consuming.
Old 04-27-24, 03:39 AM
falconx
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaced the sunshade

I finally did it around a month ago, I'm having a Lexus LS600hl 2010 with ottoman, removing the back seats was quite cumbersome. Like in any car, many parts are made to be assembled but hard to be removed without breaking some tiny parts. I made some pictures and videos, but probably too much to be posted here. If anyone need them, just poke me.

Originally Posted by RandyV
Thanks for the video Falcon! I'm guessing mine is that exact same problem.

i showed my wife how much effort would be required to repair her rear shade. She said "Forget it!"

I'm off the hook on this one. LOL