LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone had the valve spring recall done ? Is it worth the hassle ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 10:52 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Do not make the mistake I made, u should have ran and gone with another dealer more willing.
you had issues with the valve spring recall?

I thought it was something else? ive been hesitant to have it done as well but I guess its time

EDIT: I asked another dealer a few weeks ago if I can get the parts from this location and have the recall done at another, they said its not possible, but maybe I will try again

these guys have not left me with much confidence at all

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 10-23-19 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-23-19, 11:35 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

you did not sign anything, just call another place or corporate and NEVER NEVER get it done at the first place. I am in a different country but my car at at the official Lexus dealer for 3 months. And my whole engine had to be disassembled.
Old 10-24-19, 01:51 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

you did not sign anything, just call another place or corporate and NEVER NEVER get it done at the first place. I am in a different country but my car at at the official Lexus dealer for 3 months. And my whole engine had to be disassembled.
is that from the vale spring replacement ?

What exactly went wrong ?
Old 10-24-19, 02:03 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
is that from the vale spring replacement ?

What exactly went wrong ?
valve spring. fuel rail and whatever... this car had 3 recalls. dont ask me they could not manually turn the engine after they were done... god knows why.... and they have to disassemble everything to the smallest components.. essentially an engine rebuild except the piston rings were not change because i had no idea they were doing that anyways...they said it would not turn coz carbon deposits fell into the cylinder... I call bull****.. i have yet to get it properly checked out and scoped.
Old 10-24-19, 11:09 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

valve spring. fuel rail and whatever... this car had 3 recalls. dont ask me they could not manually turn the engine after they were done... god knows why.... and they have to disassemble everything to the smallest components.. essentially an engine rebuild except the piston rings were not change because i had no idea they were doing that anyways...they said it would not turn coz carbon deposits fell into the cylinder... I call bull****.. i have yet to get it properly checked out and scoped.
that's insane man, after screwing up the repair and it being 3 months, aren't they legally liable to buy the car off you, or offer you a trade in , or anything?
Old 10-24-19, 01:08 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
that's insane man, after screwing up the repair and it being 3 months, aren't they legally liable to buy the car off you, or offer you a trade in , or anything?
nope, it was a very complicated situation, 1. there was a delay in ordering parts, about at the 3 month mark after the dealership contacted me (after I contacted Lexus US0 the parts were still not ordered. At that point i was smelling gas coming from the engine bay. So because there are 2 recalls related to fuel rails, I brought car in to check.

Well... 1.. It was not the fuel rails, it was one broken injector. 2. The fuel rails were replaced one or 2 years ago with the same defective part lol which the owner paid for 3. Because they took apart so much of the engine unless I replace the injectors there is no way to put the engine back together again... now problem with that is the dealer sells the direct injection .. injectors for 700 USD or so EACH. Do not ask me why lol I'm trying to keep this brief haha So I am not paying that price and I have a nagging feeling this is someone messing up issue because the injector is physically broken like the plastic failed and at one point it cracked, spewing gas into the engine bay. So anyways I tried to find good remanufactured ones, but it is VERY VERY difficult to find even in the US and not cheap, lexuspartsnow.com prices these are 200+ USD each and the best refurb ones I could find are on ebay or amazon with different part numbers ( suddenly had to learn lots about these injectors) anyways I chanced across an invoice from Toyota where the previous owner brought to get the fuel rail issue resolved and was fleeced well, they were the last ones that had cause to touch the injectors it is all very well documented, well because of that "service" one injector is broken, the rest are of questionable state the plastics have been heated so long they might crack if you put them back again. And to prove incompetence, all the electrical connectors for the injectors have been mangled for some reason and replaced with non factory ones.

So I wrote an email or multiple emaisl alluding to the incompetence and I had 8 new injectors comped but that took a month. And all the other parts were delayed and more delays etc. 2 false starts for collection after the 3 months... 1st time engine wont turn manually, the resulted in a one week delay total engine disassembly... called me in to collect again, this time steering rack issue, but it was fine when i brought it in, was another couple of days.

I wrote emails to Lexus everywhere, the higher ups and i was told they cannot intervene and I have to deal with the dealer. I do not see how this is legal, because the recalls are US government mandated, Lexus corporate was contacted, they arranged it and i went to where they told me to, now that things are messed up and although it is running for now, I have a ukrainian assembled vehicle, who knows what can happen down the road.
Old 10-24-19, 01:12 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Im not even done right, i took it to a high end shop which also owns dealerships and they found... gas return line not connected so fumes and gas was AGAIN spewing in the engine bay, and some bolts that go under the transmission was missing, there was also a big fuel leak.thats looks to be coming from the main seal.

Imagine that....
Old 10-24-19, 02:15 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

that' is sickening man , its my worst nightmare dealing with these people

I can already tell lexus corporate is basically useless , Ive spoken to them twice and both times they throw it back to the dealer

Im starting to get a little nervous now , but at least u got 8 comped injectors from them
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (10-24-19)
Old 02-02-20, 09:54 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Just to bring closure to the thread I had the recall done and my engine is running better then before in terms of power and slightly better MPG

But I also had them do the spark plugs so I'm not sure if its plugs or springs that had the positive affect

Overall I'm happy with it
Old 02-02-20, 11:10 AM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

No question it is the spark plugs. The valve spring recall was done in the remote case a valve spring failed.

I'm a little surprised they did the recall. I know after a certain number of years the manufacturer doesn't have to do a recall for a non-safety issue.

Just curious, when I had mine done many years ago, I got a $500 certificate/Lexus credit and a full tank of gas. Did you get these benefits?
Old 02-10-20, 09:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

sorry nospin, I didn't see this till now

no, I didn't get any credit or any free gas, I was offered a free car wash which I refused

Im glad the work itself seems to have been done without any negative side affects, but overall the experience could of been better

I asked for photos of the valve replacement (mainly to make sure they are actually doing it) , he said yes, but of course it wasn't done

They were supposed to call me with a price for the spark plugs before doing it, instead they sent me an autpmated text showing they are doing it for free

when I went to pick up the car he tried to charge me like $400+ , after going back and forth with him I agreed to just pay the cost of the plugs itself

usually im pretty firm and don't compromise when I feel ive been wronged, but I felt at the time the cost of plugs was fair, but looking back I regret it a bit

so no, nothing except for a free tea in the office basically