LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone had the valve spring recall done ? Is it worth the hassle ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-19 | 09:58 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Anyone had the valve spring recall done ? Is it worth the hassle ?

Hey guys

I recently found out my 08 460L is due for two safety recalls, the valve spring issue and a fuel sensor (or something fuel related)

My engine has always ran well , and im not too keen on having anyone tear into the engine to replace the valve springs, but im open to the idea and starting to consider it.

Has anyone here had it done? did you notice any difference in engine performance afterwards?

Has anyone noticed the engine performing worse ? Or had the dealer botch the job somehow ?

Im sure a lot can go wrong with this type of repair

Just wondering if its worth it to even bother, ive never heard of anyone's valves actually breaking, most cases happened early on in the cars lives afaik

Thanks
Old 08-27-19 | 10:47 AM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

The spring on one of my valves actually broke back in 2009 before the recall was issued. They fixed it, and then had to tear it apart to fix all the others once the recall was issued at a later date. That was around 40k miles and I'm now at 171k with no issues. I believe they also replace the fuel pump gasket when they do the work which is good because those are probably leaking by now anyways. Car is an 07
Old 08-27-19 | 04:25 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

Yeah, my wife was driving the car at the time and it smelled like sulfur all around it. I told her to just drive it to the dealer not knowing the severity of the issue but that was 130k miles ago and no issues since. Car has been driven pretty hard its whole life too.
Old 08-29-19 | 03:00 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FunFact
A failed valve spring can destroy your engine. If that puts the severity into perspective.
yea it can grenade the engine but from my research most, if not all of the spring failures were early on in the cars life , I haven't heard of anything in the 4-5 years ive been here on the LS 460 forums

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Yeah, my wife was driving the car at the time and it smelled like sulfur all around it. I told her to just drive it to the dealer not knowing the severity of the issue but that was 130k miles ago and no issues since. Car has been driven pretty hard its whole life too.
thanks for the heads up

on a different topic how did you get 650+ whp out of your M6? im assuming its the v10 ?

supercharged it ?
Old 08-29-19 | 03:24 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
yea it can grenade the engine but from my research most, if not all of the spring failures were early on in the cars life , I haven't heard of anything in the 4-5 years ive been here on the LS 460 forums

thanks for the heads up

on a different topic how did you get 650+ whp out of your M6? im assuming its the v10 ?

supercharged it ?
Haha, it's a 2016 gran coupe (4 dr). Literally just has a downpipe and custom tune. Makes crazy power on 93 octane pump for 2.5 years now without any issues. I had them specifically reduce torque down to 600wtq under 4k rpms too, so it's really driveable and makes all the power up top.
Old 08-29-19 | 05:19 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

I am surprised yours hasn't been done by now. Take it in and enjoy the loaner.
Old 08-29-19 | 05:27 PM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys

I recently found out my 08 460L is due for two safety recalls, the valve spring issue and a fuel sensor (or something fuel related)

My engine has always ran well , and im not too keen on having anyone tear into the engine to replace the valve springs, but im open to the idea and starting to consider it.

Has anyone here had it done? did you notice any difference in engine performance afterwards?

Has anyone noticed the engine performing worse ? Or had the dealer botch the job somehow ?

Just wondering if its worth it to even bother, ive never heard of anyone's valves actually breaking, most cases happened early on in the cars lives afaik

Thanks
I remember watching a video on YouTube that stated that if this job was not done right that the car ran the risk of burning oil later in it’s life. I’m curious if the relatively few individuals on here that have complained about oil consumption are cars that also had this valve spring recall performed.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (08-30-19)
Old 08-29-19 | 06:00 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Haha, it's a 2016 gran coupe (4 dr). Literally just has a downpipe and custom tune. Makes crazy power on 93 octane pump for 2.5 years now without any issues. I had them specifically reduce torque down to 600wtq under 4k rpms too, so it's really driveable and makes all the power up top.
If it was MY wife's car I'd have a custom tune to bring it down to 200wtq max.
Old 08-29-19 | 07:33 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Hey guys

Thanks
I did the valve spring replacement on my 2007 about 4 months after the recall was announced. By then the dealer I took it to had done over a 100 cars. There was no noticeable change to performance or new engine sounds. I understand your apprehension - lots of potential for screw ups. As I recall Lexus at this time also extended the engine warranty by 60,000 miles if you replaced the springs.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (08-30-19)
Old 08-29-19 | 08:20 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

Originally Posted by sdls
If it was MY wife's car I'd have a custom tune to bring it down to 200wtq max.
Ha ha, 100%. In the summer it has 305 Michelin Sport Cup II’s with the new K1 designed for the 488. In the winter it has the stock comp tune loaded with the factory ps4s
Old 08-30-19 | 08:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FunFact
Yes, but that information is not relevant to you: what other cars do is entirely independent of yours, just like the horsepower one car makes is not the same as all the others. No engine is identical to another, and neither are the failures. Trying to form correlations and associate them with causation is going to shoot you in the foot. And it's a fallacy.
Also, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to convince a dealership to replace your engine for free because you didn't do a recall. You'll probably eventually get them to bend, especially with legal action, but that's time and energy of yours wasted. Alternatively, it's much easier to get them to simply do the recall.
By your logic the cars that have had valve spring failures are not relevant to me either , cause my car is different then theirs ? Kind of a weird way of thinking if you ask me

I always look at wats happening with other owners and their cars. What is breaking , failing, malfunctioning, I definitely see that as a way to get an idea of what to expect if I was to purchase the same make and model car.

But with that said I am going to go ahead and do the recalls, they are stalling me big time, I suspect they want nothing to do with these kinds of jobs and hope I forget about it, move on, or die.

It took a week of me calling them repeatedly to even get them to admit it does fall under the recall, then he said hes going to call me once the part department gives him an ETA on the parts needed, that was on Tuesday , its now Saturday and still nothing.

Its going to be a long bumpy road if if continues this way.
Old 09-05-19 | 04:45 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Given how old this recall is, I think the vast majority of the early cars have had the valve springs replaced. I would definitely get them replaced. If the dealer is not responsive, I call Lexus Corporate and let them know this.
Old 09-06-19 | 06:52 AM
WisBad
Rookie

Curious as to how you became aware that you had outstanding recalls to be performed?
My service records appear to show my '08 L being replaced.
Reads:
SERVICE: ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH
ADJUSTERS FOR GS460
DESCRIPTION: ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH
ADJUSTERS FOR GS460,~I~ALE CAMPAIGN ~I~SC

Might there be a site that shows all recalls for this year LS??
Old 10-23-19 | 09:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WisBad
Curious as to how you became aware that you had outstanding recalls to be performed?
My service records appear to show my '08 L being replaced.
Reads:
SERVICE: ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH
ADJUSTERS FOR GS460
DESCRIPTION: ALE REPL COMP SPRINGS & LASH
ADJUSTERS FOR GS460,~I~ALE CAMPAIGN ~I~SC

Might there be a site that shows all recalls for this year LS??
A potential buyer actually told me about it

I called in to the dealer gave them my vin and they confirmed it

So just to update guys, im going in on Tuesday to get both active recalls done, the valve springs and some fuel sensor or something

My question is, is there any other updates , software updates or computer flashes I should ask them to take care of while im there?

Ive heard of having the tranny reflashed, navigation updated, is there anything like that that you recommend?

and I forgot the funny part, the service MANAGER told me its just a 1 day job, to do the valve spring recalls and the fuel sensor recall, bring it in today pick it up tomorrow
Old 10-23-19 | 10:29 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Do not make the mistake I made, u should have ran and gone with another dealer more willing.

Quick Reply: Anyone had the valve spring recall done ? Is it worth the hassle ?