LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Window Imperfections

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 08:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Another thing to consider is static electricity charge on the glass that occurs when air passes during driving. The charge attracts dust from the air when the car is sitting still. You might try wiping the glass with a cloth dampened with 5% vinegar - I don't think the vinegar will harm your paint but you should avoid getting it on the paint. If that doesn't help you might try coating the glass with Rain-X.

There are antistatic coatings for glass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_agent

Static buildup is a common problem in areas with low humidity and if you are in a dusty climate it is hard to keep charged surfaces clean.
The puzzle is why only that one glass, and the problem was seen with original and replaced glass.
Old 09-12-19, 10:58 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

just polish the glass, end of story.. use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water first doesnt work.. move to clay bar... doesnt work move to some form of buffing compound that is for glass. if dust sticks on it then it is definitely something that is stuck on the glass... after you polish it coat it with some ceramic compound
Old 09-12-19, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by LexG
Could the patterns possibly be from the laminate?
As was said, if that was the case nothing on the outside of the glass would exacerbate it.
Old 09-12-19, 03:59 PM
jmcraney

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

I noticed on both my '07 and '14 that there were aberrations in the glass in the front doors when looking out. But the abnormality was only apparent when I had my polarized sun glasses on. I kept seeing dark clouds. But when I put the window down the clouds were gone. Took me a while to realize what was happening. None of this effect when looking through the windshield.
Old 09-13-19, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I noticed on both my '07 and '14 that there were aberrations in the glass in the front doors when looking out. But the abnormality was only apparent when I had my polarized sun glasses on. I kept seeing dark clouds. But when I put the window down the clouds were gone. Took me a while to realize what was happening. None of this effect when looking through the windshield.
Its because of the laminated glass, and the angle from which you're looking through it with your polarized sunglasses vs the windshield. Thats totally normal.
Old 09-14-19, 07:57 AM
LuxuryCar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So was the wavy distortion always there or did it occur sometime after you owned the car? I wonder if the glass is experiencing some sort of structural stress from the door, weatherstripping, or window motor mounting point. Does the window move up and down smoothly compared to the others? Is there still a pattern when the window is only halfway up?
Old 09-14-19, 09:07 AM
LexG
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryCar1
So was the wavy distortion always there or did it occur sometime after you owned the car? I wonder if the glass is experiencing some sort of structural stress from the door, weatherstripping, or window motor mounting point. Does the window move up and down smoothly compared to the others? Is there still a pattern when the window is only halfway up?
The distortion has always been there and is present whether the window is up or halfway. The operation of the window seems normal to me but I’m not ruling out that something with it the door may be causing the issue.
Old 09-14-19, 12:14 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

and you are not interested in cleaning your windows right?
Old 09-14-19, 12:21 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdanielca
and you are not interested in cleaning your windows right?
What do you mean?
Old 09-14-19, 01:18 PM
jmcraney

Do you have a photo, taken from inside of your car, that shows the imperfections in the glass?
Old 09-14-19, 03:38 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Do you have a photo, taken from inside of your car, that shows the imperfections in the glass?
The imperfections are very hard to see, must be at a certain angle and sun needs to be shining on the glass. From inside the vehicle and the darkness from the tint on windows you can’t really see them.
Old 09-14-19, 03:43 PM
jmcraney

So, are you saying that the imperfections are more visible looking in than looking out?
Old 09-14-19, 09:30 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

So, are you saying that the imperfections are more visible looking in than looking out?
Yes, that is correct.
Old 09-15-19, 05:53 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

What do you mean?
because it is basically certain it is an issue with a coating or somekind of car wash wax issue of some sort that can be buffed off, 99% rubbing alcohol etc and those steps I outlined.. why dont you go try it and report back, so you know we can see if it can be removed somehow....
Old 09-15-19, 06:25 AM
jmcraney

Yes, that is correct.
With your car in a darkened garage, with the car's interior dome light illuminated, are you able to see the imperfections while observing from outside the car?

Quick Reply: Window Imperfections