LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Window Imperfections

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 12:22 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Window Imperfections

I have 2016 LS 460 and my front passenger window has imperfections in the glass that create a wave like pattern. In the picture dust has accumulated on the glass which makes it much easier to see. It usually doesn’t look this bad. The dealer replaced the glass already but the pattern is still present but not as noticeable. I think maybe they came from the same lot of glass. Now the dealer says there is nothing else they can do and I have to live with it. This is unacceptable since the vehicle is still under warranty. Has anyone experienced this?

Old 09-11-19, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

What kind of carwash do you use? Do you use an automatic carwash?

What that looks like to me is the interaction between whatever cleaner is sprayed on and blown off interacting with the water repellant coating that's on the front windows. That would explain why you have it on the replacement glass too. That water repellant coating is only on the front two windows.

That coating is really finicky and it doesn't like many different types of cleaners. I have one glass cleaner I use for the rest of the glass and one glass cleaner I use for those front windows for that reason. The glass cleaner that works great on all the other glass smears and streaks that coated glass all to hell.

Try using a cleaner like bon ami, or some other abrasive cleaner and see if that removes it. It may remove the coating too, but thats a benefit IMHO.

If its on the exterior of the glass and dust makes it worse, its something on the surface of the glass not a defect within it.
Old 09-11-19, 03:16 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What kind of carwash do you use? Do you use an automatic carwash?

What that looks like to me is the interaction between whatever cleaner is sprayed on and blown off interacting with the water repellant coating that's on the front windows. That would explain why you have it on the replacement glass too. That water repellant coating is only on the front two windows.

That coating is really finicky and it doesn't like many different types of cleaners. I have one glass cleaner I use for the rest of the glass and one glass cleaner I use for those front windows for that reason. The glass cleaner that works great on all the other glass smears and streaks that coated glass all to hell.

Try using a cleaner like bon ami, or some other abrasive cleaner and see if that removes it. It may remove the coating too, but thats a benefit IMHO.

If its on the exterior of the glass and dust makes it worse, its something on the surface of the glass not a defect within it.
I have used multiple different car washes from touchless auto, regular auto, and hand wash. I was unaware that there is a water repellent coating on those windows. How come I don’t have the patterns on the front driver window? I will definitely try a more abrasive glass cleaner.

Maybe the imperfections are on the surface, on a micro level that can’t be felt but the dust can make more visible.

Thanks for your input.
The following users liked this post:
Richardgil (09-11-19)
Old 09-11-19, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Who knows why, it may just be that something at some point gets applied to just the passenger side, carwashes often have half their sprayers not working, etc. Does your dealer have a carwash? Could even be that.

Once something gets in that coating I could totally see it not coming out without something aggressive. You may even want to try taking it to a detailer and see if they have a glass polish they could use and see what that does.

The fact that it was in both pieces of glass and we've never heard of such a thing here before tells me its something that is somehow getting ON the glass.
Old 09-11-19, 03:42 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

How's this for another explanation? I think the right front glass is vibrating in an unusual way that is causing dust to accumulate in these wavy patterns. Check if anything can be tightened inside the door panel.

Last edited by comotiger; 09-11-19 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 04:21 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by comotiger
How's this for another explanation? I think the right front glass is vibrating in an unusual way that is causing dust to accumulate in these wavy patterns. Check if anything can be tightened inside the door panel.
The imperfections can be seen even when the glass is clean.
Old 09-11-19, 04:23 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd to spray the window tracks with silicone spray to lubricate them. Worth a try.
Old 09-11-19, 04:59 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexG
The imperfections can be seen even when the glass is clean.
Good point!

Do you have pictures of the wavy patterns with the original and the replaced glass? If they are very similar, maybe a rubber piece on the door frame or inside the door panel is rubbing and stripping off the coating....
Old 09-11-19, 05:08 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Good point!

Do you have pictures of the wavy patterns with the original and the replaced glass? If they are very similar, maybe a rubber piece on the door frame or inside the door panel is rubbing and stripping off the coating....
The patterns are pretty hard to see on the replacement glass and getting a good picture would be difficult, I’ll try and post pics. They were much easier to see on the original glass.

I was reading online about tempered glass manufacturing process. They use a process called quenching to cool the glass and it may leave “strain patterns” and they are not considered a defect. Might be on to something.
Old 09-11-19, 05:25 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

I have 2016 LS 460 and my front passenger window has imperfections in the glass that create a wave like pattern. In the picture dust has accumulated on the glass which makes it much easier to see. It usually doesn’t look this bad. The dealer replaced the glass already but the pattern is still present but not as noticeable. I think maybe they came from the same lot of glass. Now the dealer says there is nothing else they can do and I have to live with it. This is unacceptable since the vehicle is still under warranty. Has anyone experienced this?
The patterns are pretty hard to see on the replacement glass and getting a good picture would be difficult, I’ll try and post pics. They were much easier to see on the original glass. I was reading online about tempered glass manufacturing process. They use a process called quenching to cool the glass and it may leave “strain patterns” and they are not considered a defect. Might be on to something.
IMO, it's unlikely that two right side glasses on your car displaying similar issues came from the same lot when separated by months or years of manufacture. Lexus must be able to verify the lot(s) these glasses came from. I find it more plausible that there is something specifically happening at that door.
Old 09-11-19, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was reading online about tempered glass manufacturing process. They use a process called quenching to cool the glass and it may leave “strain patterns” and they are not considered a defect. Might be on to something.
Except those front windows aren’t tempered, they’re laminated glass like the windshield.
Old 09-11-19, 05:55 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

IMO, it's unlikely that two right side glasses on your car displaying similar issues came from the same lot when separated by months or years of manufacture. Lexus must be able to verify the lot(s) these glasses came from. I find it more plausible that there is something specifically happening at that door.
That is a good point as well.
Old 09-11-19, 05:55 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except those front windows aren’t tempered, they’re laminated glass like the windshield.
Could the patterns possibly be from the laminate?
Old 09-11-19, 10:38 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Could the patterns possibly be from the laminate?
The laminate is sandwiched between the glasses. That cannot contribute to the pattern of dust accumulation on the exterior surface.
Old 09-12-19, 08:03 AM
jmcraney

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Another thing to consider is static electricity charge on the glass that occurs when air passes during driving. The charge attracts dust from the air when the car is sitting still. You might try wiping the glass with a cloth dampened with 5% vinegar - I don't think the vinegar will harm your paint but you should avoid getting it on the paint. If that doesn't help you might try coating the glass with Rain-X.

There are antistatic coatings for glass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_agent

Static buildup is a common problem in areas with low humidity and if you are in a dusty climate it is hard to keep charged surfaces clean.

Quick Reply: Window Imperfections