LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire Pressure System- Replace sensor options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 05:00 PM
efonz
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Pressure System- Replace sensor options?

Clublexus! I miss this forum I lost access to my old account and I am here today posting trying to get some advice on fixing a TPMS issue with my dad's 2007 LS460L.

I don't remember dealing with TPMS issues on my 06 IS35 may have been before NHTSA got involved so the car shows "Check Tire Pressure System Visit a Dealer"
It does not read the tire pressure for any of the tires, at least it does not display them. I did the reset or benchmark button procedure without success since the car attempts
to reset or benchmark the the tire pressure but reverts back to the check tire pressure system message. Before doing this as you would imagine, I checked all the tires with
a digital gauge including the spare in the trunk and all 5 were within spec. I am in SoCal so cold weather isn't a factor. At this point after reading a few other related threads,
I am pretty sure one or more of the sensors have failed. I guess you cant replace the battery so replacement is necessary.
Is there a way to determine which sensor is faulty?

I know the logical thing to do is replace all 5 sensors but would be nice to know which one died just in case I find out later some of them are the original sensors
while the others are still fairly new, I took it to Autozone hoping that they would be able to tell me which one is not reporting and they hooked it up to a scanner but
reported no errors (which for some reason worries me) Also, I asked how much it would cost to replace all 5 sensors and he showed me his computer screen that
said it was a non-serviceable item?

Does anyone disagree with my diagnosis that the car needs new sensors?
For those who have replaced sensors in the past, where and how much was total cost?
Has anyone purchased a package that includes the sensors plus the relearning tool?
or is Discount Tire a better option after buying sensors online (seems to be popular choice)?
Links or part numbers for 07 LS460 would be appreciated!
If I have to hear this guy complain about the annoying warning on his display one more time I am going to dim his instrument cluster to the max lol.
Old 09-29-19, 06:42 PM
efonz
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

...anyone?
Old 09-29-19, 07:42 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by efonz
...anyone?
Purchased aftermarket ones on eBay about 8 months ago. (4) for $80. 1 more on eBay for $20. Total = $100 + $60 install.

They’ve worked so far but don’t seem entirely accurate. If I pump all tires to 32 lbs, it’ll be off by a pound or 2.
The following users liked this post:
efonz (10-02-19)
Old 09-29-19, 07:45 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-For...vr#UserReviews

Originally Posted by efonz
Clublexus! I miss this forum I lost access to my old account and I am here today posting trying to get some advice on fixing a TPMS issue with my dad's 2007 LS460L.

I don't remember dealing with TPMS issues on my 06 IS35 may have been before NHTSA got involved so the car shows "Check Tire Pressure System Visit a Dealer"
It does not read the tire pressure for any of the tires, at least it does not display them. I did the reset or benchmark button procedure without success since the car attempts
to reset or benchmark the the tire pressure but reverts back to the check tire pressure system message. Before doing this as you would imagine, I checked all the tires with
a digital gauge including the spare in the trunk and all 5 were within spec. I am in SoCal so cold weather isn't a factor. At this point after reading a few other related threads,
I am pretty sure one or more of the sensors have failed. I guess you cant replace the battery so replacement is necessary.
Is there a way to determine which sensor is faulty?

I know the logical thing to do is replace all 5 sensors but would be nice to know which one died just in case I find out later some of them are the original sensors
while the others are still fairly new, I took it to Autozone hoping that they would be able to tell me which one is not reporting and they hooked it up to a scanner but
reported no errors (which for some reason worries me) Also, I asked how much it would cost to replace all 5 sensors and he showed me his computer screen that
said it was a non-serviceable item?

Does anyone disagree with my diagnosis that the car needs new sensors?
For those who have replaced sensors in the past, where and how much was total cost?
Has anyone purchased a package that includes the sensors plus the relearning tool?
or is Discount Tire a better option after buying sensors online (seems to be popular choice)?
Links or part numbers for 07 LS460 would be appreciated!
If I have to hear this guy complain about the annoying warning on his display one more time I am going to dim his instrument cluster to the max lol.
efonz (10-02-19)
Old 09-29-19, 07:46 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Each sensor has an ID (serial #) so it's easy to define which is faulty. I'd say bring it to Discount Tire and have them scan it. I (think) any 315 MHz transmitter should work. You don't have to replace all the sensors unless you wanted to.
efonz (10-02-19)
Old 09-29-19, 09:13 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Hello and welcome back. If you have a sensor with a dead battery, chances are the others are likely to fail soon as well. I would recommend replacing all sensors if you know they are older than 5 - 10 years. They rely on internal batteries and are only designed to last for five years.

You might think you're saving a few dollars finding the single one that is failing now, but you could be in the exact same situation in a few months. If you're due for tires, get new sensors and tires. If not, at least you have an excuse to get your older tires re-balanced.
The following 2 users liked this post by DerrickM:
efonz (10-02-19), Kansas (09-30-19)
Old 10-21-19, 09:43 AM
lexluver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replaced all sensors on my 2007 LS460L. I had no problem with them prior to having all 4 tires replaced but can't rule out it being coincidental that they failed almost immediately afterward. Bought these from Amazon for about $100 for five. Discount tire installed/tested for $50. Works great although Discount Tire says they get a lot of people buying them from Amazon and the batteries are dead on the TPMS but mine were OK.