LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Non-ml speaker upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 08:42 AM
Tron460
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Non-ml speaker upgrade!

HELLO ALL! I am interested in replacing some factory speakers with aftermarket. Ive googled around and cant find too much info regarding non-ml upgrades. first speakers onb the list would be front door speakers 6x9. factory sub? dash speakers?
Old 09-30-19, 09:33 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I cannot answer your questions regarding speaker sizes, but I can say that, generally, aftermarket speakers won't work well as drop-in replacements to OEM systems. Most OEM speakers are very light and have low impedances. You typically would have to replace the OEM amplifier with an aftermarket amp to drive the aftermarket speakers.
Old 01-11-24, 08:32 PM
Knot
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the 2015 RX with the premium 12 speaker non ML c/w 210/7 channel Pioneer amp:
As long as the after market speakers matches the ohm of the one it replaces you should be OK!

Old 01-12-24, 12:35 AM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Something wrong with your speakers, or you just looking for louder boom? Problem with these OEM setups is that these speakers, amplifier and your head unit is one system that was designed as a whole. Replacing speakers alone would not do you any good, it can actually make your audio worse. If you interested in upgrade you have to consider replacing OEM amplifier first. You need to find aftermarket amplifier with built in DSP and enough channels and power to drive all your speakers and capable to communicate with your car (your controls on the steering wheel, nav voice guidance, bluetooth and such goes through this amplifier). Then find appropriate speakers to match your new amplifier. Since aftermarket amplifiers don't have that many channels as your OEM amplifier you might have to run some speakers in parallel on one channel with additional crossovers. Last time I was upgrading my car I ended up replacing one OEM amp with two aftermarket units. I had Audison AP8.9BIT with one additional 2 channel amplifier for the subwoofers. I also ended up doing complete soundproofing from top to bottom. It was such a pain in the back, I ended up having entire car stripped to the bare metal. LOL
Old 01-12-24, 06:46 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Look at Crutchfield,com. You enter your car and they give you a selection of speakers I will say from personal experience that the dash and front door speakers give you the best bang for your buck. The others don't impact your ears as much in reality but on paper it seems they matter equally. As far as the sub goes, a powered, boxed 10" in the trunk is quick and easy. Produces good results. Again, from personal experience.
For future posts, it's helpful to have year and other info on your car.
Old 01-12-24, 06:57 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

I've replaced the front and rear door speakers, added a sub w/amp and line out converter and it's quite an improvement over the base stereo. You need a Metra bracket for the 6x9's in the front and rear doors use the oem brackets.
Probably will do the dash speakers next, the are 3.5's like the back doors, there are existing holes in the rear doors that can have 6.5 in mounted with wiring that runs to the amp area but unused on the pioneer amp.

Last edited by Gerf; 01-12-24 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-12-24, 09:10 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot
As long as the after market speakers matches the ohm of the one it replaces you should be OK!
DON'T replace your speaker with aftermarket. The factory electronics (base or aftermarket) are equalized to match the OEM speakers and the car's interior acoustics. Replacing them with any aftermarket speakers won't match the original and will most certainly ruin the sound.
Old 01-12-24, 09:23 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

Mark Levinson models use 8 ohm speakers vs the Pioneer (Base) speakers that are either 2 or 4 ohm. It's hard to get a good sound out of aftermarket speakers on the stock amp even if they are still 8 ohm (hard enough to find as is), because the amp has built-in crossovers that are designed for the speakers it is specc'd with. You'd be better off gutting the stock system and putting in an aftermarket amp and speakers.
Old 01-12-24, 10:15 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerf
I've replaced the front and rear door speakers, added a sub w/amp and line out converter and it's quite an improvement over the base stereo. You need a Metra bracket for the 6x9's in the front and rear doors use the oem brackets.
Probably will do the dash speakers next, the are 3.5's like the back doors, there are existing holes in the rear doors that can have 6.5 in mounted with wiring that runs to the amp area but unused on the pioneer amp.

That sub setup is awesome
Old 01-12-24, 11:37 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRX
Mark Levinson models use 8 ohm speakers vs the Pioneer (Base) speakers that are either 2 or 4 ohm. It's hard to get a good sound out of aftermarket speakers on the stock amp even if they are still 8 ohm (hard enough to find as is), because the amp has built-in crossovers that are designed for the speakers it is specc'd with. You'd be better off gutting the stock system and putting in an aftermarket amp and speakers.
The front speakers on the pioneer system are 6.5" 4ohm and the rear doors have 3.5" 6ohm speakers, both are crap and made in china as is the 8" woofer on the rear deck.
I've had a Toyota with JBL and a 400 with a nakamichi also test drove a 460 with the ML and didn't really think any of them was anything special but one mans ACDC is anothers Milli Vanilli.
I agree replacing it all would be best but then steering controls would be a struggle.