LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS got hit by a driver running red light. Whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 12:59 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I have attached options for reference.

Old 10-08-19, 01:59 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Ok, the offer is $15.9K+Tax. Sounds low. What are the ways to get the value up?
Plug in all the specifics at KBB, Edmunds and NADA and see what you come up with. Take the best value estimate to your insurance company.
The following users liked this post:
MarkeeMark (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 02:11 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Just for fun, I did a KBB quote as if I were buying it from an individual. I didn't notice your mileage so I said 100K. I included the luxury package. Included the ML system. I also picked very good condition (because it was, right? wink wink nod nod.lol). Your price is roughly $16,757 - $20,336 Private Party Range. I'd pound them for $20K. They want it off the books, you want $20K. Hang tough.
MarkeeMark (10-08-19)
Old 10-08-19, 02:37 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, you need to start looking for a new car. I too, would just call your own insurance company and have them set you up with a rental as well as dealing with the other driver's insurance company. They will ask you just a few questions to get an idea of whether your car is a total loss (it is) and they will then probably arrange to get it moved to their "total loss yard" rather than continuing to pay the sometimes very high storage charges at the impound lot. So get to the lot and remove your personal property before it is moved. Once your car is declared a total loss and you get the check, you will probably have about 7 additional days with the rental while you look for a new car. And you know you are entitled to full replacement value plus sales taxes and other such fees in your are - maybe a little more if you can document new tires or something else that made your car special.

I'm confident that the other driver received the ticket even though she was claiming the light was green. The police usually make a point of not issuing the ticket while you are in the immediate area just to keep things civil. Someone almost always gets the ticket and you know you didn't get it.

Glad you are okay and good luck on your search for a new car. That was a pretty bad accident. You might want to go to Urgent Care just to be checked out.

Dave Mac
Old 10-08-19, 02:40 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I just noticed you said you didn't have rental car coverage. You are entitled to a rental car but may have to deal with the other insurance company to get it. Ask your agent of claims person to see how to handle that part.

Dave Mac
Old 10-08-19, 04:26 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Plug in all the specifics at KBB, Edmunds and NADA and see what you come up with. Take the best value estimate to your insurance company.
Thanks!
Here are the numbers from these sources. I did not include Edmunds because it uses KBB and the numbers were close.

Kelly Blue Book - Private Party19860

Kelly Blue Book - trade in17767

NADA - Retail19350

NADA - Trade-in15925

Edmunds - Private party17491

Georgia taxable value16950

I am also putting together list of of comparable cars on sale. Not a lot of long wheel base cars are for sale but there are enough for me to put together a list.
Old 10-08-19, 04:33 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Yes, you need to start looking for a new car. I too, would just call your own insurance company and have them set you up with a rental as well as dealing with the other driver's insurance company. They will ask you just a few questions to get an idea of whether your car is a total loss (it is) and they will then probably arrange to get it moved to their "total loss yard" rather than continuing to pay the sometimes very high storage charges at the impound lot. So get to the lot and remove your personal property before it is moved. Once your car is declared a total loss and you get the check, you will probably have about 7 additional days with the rental while you look for a new car. And you know you are entitled to full replacement value plus sales taxes and other such fees in your are - maybe a little more if you can document new tires or something else that made your car special.

I'm confident that the other driver received the ticket even though she was claiming the light was green. The police usually make a point of not issuing the ticket while you are in the immediate area just to keep things civil. Someone almost always gets the ticket and you know you didn't get it.

Glad you are okay and good luck on your search for a new car. That was a pretty bad accident. You might want to go to Urgent Care just to be checked out.

Dave Mac
Thanks!
I am managing without the rental.
Adjuster said they will move the car within next 48 hours. Max daily storage fees are $25 and their lot advertises $15. Adjuster said insurance company paid the towing and storage fees.
I hope the police report comes out asap. It says 7-10 days. She should definitely get the ticket especially when she kept not accepting the responsibility in the first place.
I am doing ok but I still got myself checked out. I did have neck pain over the weekend but now feeling much better.
Old 10-08-19, 08:26 PM
MarkeeMark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW7 - sorry to hear of the wreck and glad you are doing ok.

I recently went through hail damage claim and learnt alot. What can work in your favor is calling professional auto appraiser. Once insurance company knows that you are not relying on just asking prices of ads on common sources, they quickly realize they are dealing with a sophisticated person. Insurance companies use the something like CCC ONE to get their valuations. There is another firm too, but the name escapes me.
Anyways, the appraiser costs $, but is independent and insurance company would be motivated to move fast and get to closure quickly and hopefully fairly to you.
Also as someone else mentioned, you paid sales tax when you bought, so you should be getting some of that back too

Best of luck on this and let us know how it turns out.
Mark
Old 10-08-19, 09:12 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkeeMark
BMW7 - sorry to hear of the wreck and glad you are doing ok.

I recently went through hail damage claim and learnt alot. What can work in your favor is calling professional auto appraiser. Once insurance company knows that you are not relying on just asking prices of ads on common sources, they quickly realize they are dealing with a sophisticated person. Insurance companies use the something like CCC ONE to get their valuations. There is another firm too, but the name escapes me.
Anyways, the appraiser costs $, but is independent and insurance company would be motivated to move fast and get to closure quickly and hopefully fairly to you.
Also as someone else mentioned, you paid sales tax when you bought, so you should be getting some of that back too

Best of luck on this and let us know how it turns out.
Mark
I have replied to the adjuster with offer being unacceptable and additional comparisons. If that doesn't work, I will go the professional auto appraiser route.I have sent a spreadsheet and hopefully he will already consider me as a sophisticated person.

There are some blatantly wrong things in insurance company's favor in the market report.
1. They have compared some of the vehicles with 50-60K more miles. When they do that, they are providing hardly any adjustment. Like $700K when any car value site shows in the range of $3K difference.
2. My car is considered average whereas all other compared are are somehow better resulting into almost $1800 impact on my valuation.
3. Not all options considered when coming up with base value.

Even if these are addressed, value will jump automatically. Let's see.

Yes, they are going to pay tax.
MarkeeMark (10-09-19)
Old 10-09-19, 11:43 AM
XLR8ER
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2011 LS 460 has less than 60K miles and I am considering trading for a newer truck. I live north of Atlanta if you might be interested? All the options & wheels you listed plus a few more (self parking, rain sensing wipers, automatic door closers) but it is charcoal grey and standard length. Pampered car with synthetic oil changed every 5K miles, recently replaced tires and new Lexus battery. Not listed for sale but $20,000 cash could probably buy it. I'm retired, let me know if you're interested.
MarkeeMark (10-09-19)
Old 10-09-19, 11:55 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by XLR8ER
My 2011 LS 460 has less than 60K miles and I am considering trading for a newer truck. I live north of Atlanta if you might be interested? All the options & wheels you listed plus a few more (self parking, rain sensing wipers, automatic door closers) but it is charcoal grey and standard length. Pampered car with synthetic oil changed every 5K miles, recently replaced tires and new Lexus battery. Not listed for sale but $20,000 cash could probably buy it. I'm retired, let me know if you're interested.
Thanks for letting me know. I will PM you.
Old 10-09-19, 02:07 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

It looks like you should be able to get close to $20,000. Unfortunately even though those options are pricey for a new car, while desirable they don't carry a whole lot of value on a used car.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-10-19, 05:18 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Since I sent my email with spreadsheet to the adjuster Wednesday night, there has been silence from other end. Today I sent a message through app to the adjuster and claim handler as FYI only and offered to provide any additional information or answer questions.
I assume I just sit back assuming ball is in their court? I don't want to call him because I do not want to show that I am the one in need. Is that the right strategy?
Old 10-11-19, 05:23 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Do you have a contact at the insurance agency? If so call. If not, find one. Still consider finding an attorney.
MarkeeMark (10-16-19)
Old 10-11-19, 09:09 AM
XLR8ER
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally if they are paying for you to drive a rental at their expense... they will respond. If you're not costing them any daily expenses then they will get to you whenever it's convenient. Good Luck !
The following 2 users liked this post by XLR8ER:
MarkeeMark (10-16-19), SW17LS (10-12-19)

Quick Reply: My LS got hit by a driver running red light. Whats next?