LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS got hit by a driver running red light. Whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19 | 06:35 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Just posting an update. Not much progeress.

Adjuster did not contact me for a week after I sent my comparables. Coincidently, I got a survey email to rate him.
Called adjuster to check on status. He is not budging. His arguments are more like his way or highway.
Gave my feedback on the survey and the person said would talk to the adjuster.
More wait.
Waiting for police report as well.
Old 10-16-19 | 06:45 PM
TriC
Racer

This interaction (or lack thereof) is with your own insurer, Geico? What's your collision deductible?

It sounds like they may be handing you a bad faith claim.
Old 10-16-19 | 07:25 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Call your insurance and tell them you’re not happy, the adjuster job is only to save money.
Old 10-16-19 | 09:47 PM
MarkeeMark
Driver School Candidate

BMW-----thanks for update. I agree with what others are saying, they don't have a burning platform to clear you off the books quickly. If there was a rental car involved and you were considering your legal options and already got an independent appraiser .....the noise you'd be making would place you higher I think on their radar. They are hoping you tire and settle for lower amount.

This is really terrible claim experience for you! Sorry that you are having to deal with this. What if you were laying in a hospital with bone breakage or worse...

In my opinion, they have your wishes via spreadsheet. If you think of this as a real estate deal, you'd want an independent appraiser's report (time and date stamped) stating his/her opinion of value on the day they looked at it. You can provide service records to appraiser showing you took good care of this car. recent tires, brakes, you get the idea..whatever you can to make it stand out above the average one. Then, you can keep referring to this independent 3rd party as they said this is the value and that you want a fair and equitable claim. If you are using the ones they use, your case is stronger because they are looking at same data.

Hoping you get to resolution soon on this...
Mark

Sorry if I missed this...but I am assuming your own insurance company is staying out of this completely? meaning everything is hinging on this police report that might/ might not be in your favor?
Old 10-17-19 | 05:37 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by TriC
This interaction (or lack thereof) is with your own insurer, Geico? What's your collision deductible?

It sounds like they may be handing you a bad faith claim.
Yes, GEICO
Deductible $500
Old 10-17-19 | 06:02 PM
TriC
Racer

Not that it matters much, but was the $15,900 before or after your deductible?

2 suggestions - 1) when the information is available, contact the insurance company for the responsible party and 2) if you again talk with Geico, ask how much they have reserved for the claim.
Old 10-17-19 | 07:37 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by TriC
Not that it matters much, but was the $15,900 before or after your deductible?

2 suggestions - 1) when the information is available, contact the insurance company for the responsible party and 2) if you again talk with Geico, ask how much they have reserved for the claim.
$15,900 before deductibles

so it will be $15.9K+tax-$500

Great suggestion. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
MarkeeMark (10-17-19)
Old 10-17-19 | 10:01 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Just posting an update. Not much progeress.

Adjuster did not contact me for a week after I sent my comparables. Coincidently, I got a survey email to rate him.
Called adjuster to check on status. He is not budging. His arguments are more like his way or highway.
Gave my feedback on the survey and the person said would talk to the adjuster.
More wait.
Waiting for police report as well.

It took 3 - 4 weeks for them to settle my claim. I had my trusty backup 400 so I was not in a rush to be lowballed. They were not budging and neither was I. In the end I got almost 3k more which was the right thing for them to do in the first place. The person that's handling your claim is only worried about paying out the least amount of money that they can get away with and not so much about what your car is really worth.
Old 10-19-19 | 05:50 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Ask GEICO for the other persons insurance claim number and adjuster. Call them up and see if they are accepting responsibility for the crash. If so, tell them they need to handle your property damage. They might have a higher valuation than GEICO. You can pick between the two. You can also hire an independent appraiser for a few hundred dollars, it might be worth it.
Old 10-19-19 | 06:23 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Do not EVER contact the other insurance, they are not your insurance, they’re paid by the other party, don’t ask me how do ai know this.
Old 10-19-19 | 06:44 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by sha4000
It took 3 - 4 weeks for them to settle my claim. I had my trusty backup 400 so I was not in a rush to be lowballed. They were not budging and neither was I. In the end I got almost 3k more which was the right thing for them to do in the first place. The person that's handling your claim is only worried about paying out the least amount of money that they can get away with and not so much about what your car is really worth.
Good to know. Thanks.
I can wait for the fair value. It has been 2 weeks,. I can wait really any amount of time as long as needed. I have 2 other cars insured with the insurance company, if that works in my favor in any way.
I didn't have rental coverage but I do have a car. I am also looking into buying a new vehicle. I don't have to wait for insurance money to come in.
Old 10-19-19 | 06:46 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by tx170754
Do not EVER contact the other insurance, they are not your insurance, they’re paid by the other party, don’t ask me how do ai know this.
That makes perfect sense. I don't think I have energy or time to deal with a third party company even if it mean few more dollars.
Old 10-20-19 | 01:25 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tx170754
I think most people would actually know this. Even though GEICO is "your" company I'd say GEICO is doing what it does more for GEICO than for you. The other driver's insurance *might* be a bit more fair and may have some interest in their customer not getting sued by you over this thing. They might be even worse of course. In any event, its really nothing to be afraid of, but to each his own.
Old 10-22-19 | 01:41 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Another update...
Got the police report. It is 100% other driver's fault. Other driver got ticket for jumping red light as well.
I talked to GEICO today and expressed my dissatisfaction with the valuation. I tried to probe the reserve amount but did not get it.
The survey person i talked to last week was supposed to talk to the adjuster and and get back to me but that hasn't happened either.
The person I talked to on the call today is going to send an email to adjuster's manager. I am kind of hopeful.
Wait continues but I am happy that the police report did not throw any curve ball.
Old 10-22-19 | 01:57 PM
TriC
Racer

It's good to hear that some progress is being made. The point about asking about Geico's reserve was not really to learn what it is, but rather to indicate to them that you know a little about the process.

Did the police report indicate the insurance carrier for the responsible party?

Quick Reply: My LS got hit by a driver running red light. Whats next?