LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

true value VS estimated value

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 02:14 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default true value VS estimated value

Hello Everyone, I’ve recently decided to sell or trade-in my 2007 LS460L with Executive seating option.
I went on KBB, Edmunds, & AutoTrader to see what I can get for my LS, but I feel like these prices are based off non executive package option. I’m not saying I’m going to get an extra 10 or even 5 thousand dollars more, but how would you value it? Do I just ask whatever I feel is acceptable & see what offer I get in return? I know trade in lower & CarMax’s offer was a joke.
Old 10-14-19, 02:36 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

I will buy your seat in the back for 3k if you want to sell the seat
The following users liked this post:
MobbinVIP (10-15-19)
Old 10-14-19, 02:37 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

and as fyi had a long work day and thank you for allowing me to have a little joke before the drive home,
enjoy evening
MobbinVIP (10-15-19)
Old 10-14-19, 03:01 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

What a great option. I wish my ‘07 “L “ had it.
Did you buy the car new, or used? If used; do you feel you paid a premium for the package, and how much? I would consider this when pricing the car. What I would do is figure out what a regular “L” (no exe package) with similar mileage and condition would be and add $6k to it, with an OBO option. I think the better the condition of the car, and the lower the mileage, the more the option will be worth. Make sure the car is listed on a national site and all the search words for the package are in the listing. In December, 2018 I bought a one owner L with 80,000 miles in excellent condition for, $13K. No exe package but it does have the comfort plus. I felt I got a good deal.
Good luck!
Old 10-14-19, 04:09 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Does the photo in your sig line accurately represent your car at present?
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-14-19, 09:21 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I shopped LS's. LS's sell more than it's KBB value FYI. This is across the board.
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-15-19, 06:58 AM
rogersmj
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Real question, not trying to be snarky: why would most people care about the executive package at all on the used market? How often would you, as the owner and presumably primary driver of the car, be in the back seat?

The exec package is for the comfort/convenience of rear seat passengers, who are being driven, and no one with the means for a chauffeur/driver is buying an old used luxury car. Maybe if you're someone who is going to drive people around a lot for business, but again I think most people for whom the car they drive is an important status symbol for clients (e.g. high end real estate agents) are going to buy a new car and write it off as a business expense, not a 10+ year old luxury car.

All that to say, it might be cool as a novelty, but I don't think it has any significant value in the used market. In fact, I (and I assume some other shoppers) make it a point to avoid the exec package cars. Honestly I barely even understand the point of the exec package on new cars, the multimillionaires I know all drive themselves anyway. They're never back there.
The following 2 users liked this post by rogersmj:
Kansas (10-15-19), MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-15-19, 06:25 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree with the sentiments above. I actually think age and mileage have more of an affect on value than what packages the cars have. At this point its a 12 year old car. Any technology in the car is going to be mostly dated. If anything the executive package may actually eliminate some buyers because you loose the middle seat. I go by market prices I like cargurus and ebay completed listings. That is where you'll find what cars are actually selling for. I find the valuation tools like KBB and NADA to be unreliable. KBB and NADA aren't in the car buying business. I personally love the executive package just like I loved the UL package one of my LS430's had. However, at this point I don't think I would pay much of a premium for it in a 12 year old vehicle.
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-15-19, 09:25 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

People like me would be willing to pay more for the executive package even if used. I guess maybe some consider it a novelty. They don’t need to rich and famous or whatever but maybe it’s bragging rights?? I just valeted my 2011 sport edition at a restaurant and my colleagues were impressed at a big body sedan. They couldn’t guess the age because it is a well kept car. I still surprised 9 out of 10 people with the soft close doors!

Last edited by 3GSShoe; 10-15-19 at 09:47 PM.
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 02:35 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

The 'value' of a premium option on a 12 yo car with 150k + miles?
Maybe $100?

Maybe - probably not.

Is that the car in the pic?
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 10:24 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

IMO, the Executive package on both the LS460L and LS500 would be substantially more desirable and valuable, in both new and used car markets, if it came with rear seat legroom that allowed ottoman leg rests on both rear seats and for both rear leg rests to be used without compromising front seat space. How many people want to turn their LS into a 3 passenger vehicle just so a rear passenger can use the right rear seat leg rest? Anybody?

Mercedes added 8.1 inches of length to the standard long wheelbase S-class when it created the S-Class Maybach which allows both its rear seat "calf rests" to be used by fairly tall people while the front seats are occupied.

A similar additional amount of additional rear seat legroom and vehicle length could have been added to the Lexus LS for a trivial amount of money and the resulting vehicle would still have been shorter than an S-class Maybach.
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 10:32 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

When I purchased my Ultra Lux package used, KBB had the value of $41k, but I saw only 4 in the country which sold for $45-47k and all sold within one week.
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 12:22 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

I know I was specifically attracted to the Executive Seating Package in my 2010 LS600hL when I found it for sale locally. I had a LS460L at the time, and probably wouldn't have upgraded to a non-Executive package LS600hL, so to me it make a big difference. I don't think I really paid any extra for the car because of the rear seat package, which I was very happy about. The car originally stickered at $125k, and I paid $27.5k. I am a real estate agent and the car is perfect for driving clients around looking at homes. Everyone fights over who gets the right rear seat, and the Shaitzu massage in that spot is a real plus for stressed out home shoppers!
MobbinVIP (10-16-19)
Old 10-16-19, 02:47 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you everyone for your input & advice.
The car in my signature is my old VIP LS430, completely modified with Fabulous kit & wheels

My 07 LS460L has 137,xxx miles & is very close to excellent condition, minus rock chips on the front
interior is in excellent shape, car runs & drives excellent.
new front air suspension, new injectors, spark plugs, & every air filter is new.
I purchased the car with the intent to modify it & be one of the only VIP 460s with executive package, but after driving the car & how smooth it was, I changed my mind & kept it stock, just tinted all the way around.
After several years of driving big body luxury cars, I want something sporty.

I agree not everyone wants the executive package, but is definitely nice to have & no matter where I go, people are shocked Lexus made such a package. Even some LS owners had to idea.
I was thinking of only asking a premium of 2 or 3k extra. Not the price of the executive package new, which was a 12k option
I will take some photos & post them up later, just for those who don’t know what it is
Old 10-16-19, 03:17 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

$2-3,000 extra for an accessory package on a 12 year old 137,000 mile car might be a lot but it only takes one buyer who really wants the car. I would try advertising it at what you think it's worth and see if you get any bites. I wonder if bring a trailer would consider the car because of the rare package despite the mileage.
MobbinVIP (10-18-19)

Quick Reply: true value VS estimated value