LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What determines the brightness of the instrument display ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 07:27 AM
ajh77
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What determines the brightness of the instrument display ?

So, I love my car and with that in mind, i want to make it the best 11 year old (2008 LS460) I can.

However, the dealer in my city really messed up my car in the two weeks that they had it while installing a ZLA dash...
This is what they did

1. Broke the glove box, it will only open 1/2 an inch now
2. Cracked my windshield
3. Installed a defective center console

Before I brought in the car, when I adjusted the brightness of the speedometer, I never had to turn it up all the way as that was way too bright, after I got the car back, I am having to turn up the brightness all the way up and it does not seem very bright, also after the car had been off for 8 hour I checked the brightness and it was in the middle setting, as if it reset on its own.

So, I want to know what determines the brightness of the speedometer and fuel level, etc ? Is it mini led's in the actual panel OR is it the rocker brightness to the left of the steering wheel ?

One thing I thought of is, I believe the ambient light sensor on the dash in the middle, by the dash vents, also determines the brightness of the instrument gauges, part number 89121-50020

So, maybe that was installed wrong or is not working right and is affecting the brightness of the gauges, my guess

I want to start replacing parts but I don't know what I need to buy

Thank you!

Last edited by ajh77; 10-22-19 at 08:43 AM. Reason: wanted to add a part number
Old 10-23-19, 06:25 AM
cochiseg
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

crazy what they did. Do they reckon that the windshield and glove box aren't in the state you brought it to them?
Old 10-23-19, 09:24 AM
ajh77
Driver

They did replace the windshield. I emailed the service manager about not being able to open the glovebox and no reply. I filed a case with Lexus corporate as this type of service is plain stupidity, there is no quality control at this dealership.

I even asked the service manager to look at the car before I picked it up last Thursday and this did not happen as when i picked it up the cup holder was broken.

I told Lexus corporate if the dealership does not fix the glvoebox I will buy a new one, sue them for parts, labor, and rental car. I have videos, photos, and dates on papers in the glvoebox to document it was working fine prior to this dealership taking off the dashboard.

The whole situation is a mess and any lawsuit is the last thing I want to do, but they need to fix what they broke on the car

Last edited by ajh77; 10-23-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-23-19, 11:21 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

If the glove box won't open all the way they most likely did not push the passenger side knee airbag in all the way and bolt it down.
Old 10-23-19, 12:34 PM
cochiseg
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If the glove box won't open all the way they most likely did not push the passenger side knee airbag in all the way and bolt it down.

ouch ... OP, hope they have a lot of liability insurance if they start ignoring you! maybe have you passengers sit in the back for now...
Old 10-24-19, 05:56 AM
ajh77
Driver

Default Dash Illumination Issues ...

So I have a 2008 LS460 and I just had my dash replaced.

Before this was performed my instrument panel used to brightly illuminate when I turned the headlights from auto to off, just as the nav screen and other displays get very bright the speedometer gauge etc would also get super bright.

After the dash was installed the speedometer gauges etc do not illuminate like they used to, please see the video.

What could be causing this ?
Attached Files
Old 10-24-19, 07:02 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ajh77
So I have a 2008 LS460 and I just had my dash replaced.

Before this was performed my instrument panel used to brightly illuminate when I turned the headlights from auto to off, just as the nav screen and other displays get very bright the speedometer gauge etc would also get super bright.

After the dash was installed the speedometer gauges etc do not illuminate like they used to, please see the video.

What could be causing this ?
Wherever you got the work done, you need to head back and get them to correct this issue. Sounds like this car has had more issues than it should. But if you stick with it and get everything repaired, you should be smooth sailing. Call them today.
Old 10-24-19, 07:19 AM
ajh77
Driver

I am trying to get the things resolved by the dealer that broke the items in the first place, but they could really care less.

Does anyone know what would cause the dash lights to not brightly illuminate as they used to when I turn the headlight switch from auto to off ?
Old 10-24-19, 08:48 AM
ajh77
Driver

So I do remember, before my dash was taken out and the new one installed, when I would turn off the headlights I would hear a click and when that click took place, right after that is what the dash illumination got very, very bright,
I no longer here that click anymore when I turn off the lights, so something is broken I just have no idea what it could me..

in the video, when I turn the lights off a click should be heard and the dash gauges should get very very bright right after that , this is not happening.

Last edited by ajh77; 10-24-19 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Want to add video
Old 10-26-19, 04:59 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Well it should click no doubt that clicks activates the high brightness when headlights are switched off . Trust me you should go and have a talk with them they keep effin your car up i remember first they messed your center console leds .
Old 10-26-19, 06:19 AM
ajh77
Driver

I wish there was something I could do, but I can't as I am between a rock and a hard place. Yes, Jim Falk Lexus did break my car in many ways but the reason why I can't reach out to them is they will not accept my business anymore and most importantly all of my ZLA parts are being shipped to them (the ZLA part orders were arranged and ordered by Jim Falk the first time I brought the car to them before they decided my business was not welcome there anymore) and Lexus Corporate, Jim Falk & Santa Monica Lexus are all working in tandem so those parts get shipped from Jim Falk to Santa Monica Lexus for install and I don't want to make Jim Falk angry by talking to them and have them cancel the ZLA part orders.

All I want to know is, when that click happens when you turn your headlights from auto to off and you hear the click and the dash gauges get very, very bright, what part causes the click and what part(s) cause the immediate brightness of the dash instrument gauges (speedometer, rpm,fuel gauge, etc ?

I will order the parts on my own if someone can tell me the part numbers please

Last edited by ajh77; 10-26-19 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 06:32 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

I wish there was something I could do, but I can't as I am between a rock and a hard place. Yes, Jim Falk Lexus did break my car in many ways but the reason why I can't make talk to them is because all of my ZLA parts are being shipped to them and Lexus Corporate, Jim Falk & Santa Monica Lexus are all working in tandem so those parts get shipped from Jim Falk to Santa Monica Lexus for install and I don't want to make Jim Falk angry and have them cancel the ZLA part orders.

All I want to know is, when that click happens when you turn your headlights from auto to off and you hear the click and the dash gauges get very, very bright, what part causes the click and what part(s) cause the immediate brightness of the dash instrument gauges (speedometer, rpm,fuel gauge, etc ?

I will order the parts on my own if someone can tell me the part numbers please

Well i am not sure which part it can be but i think this is the one

Lexus LS460 Headlight Switch
Part Number: 84140-50160
Old 10-26-19, 06:46 AM
ajh77
Driver

Thank you, why do you think it is that part ?
Old 10-26-19, 06:53 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Thank you, why do you think it is that part ?
First i was thinking that it can be the switch or bad connection that is not engaging but i want to read about daytime light relay to have a better understanding about it ..
Old 10-26-19, 07:01 AM
ajh77
Driver

Ok, thank you for researching, much appreciated, please let me know what you find out and if the part you suggested is indeed the correct part and or if more parts are needed

Quick Reply: What determines the brightness of the instrument display ?