LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 04:37 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any idea?

Hello all:

Last week I began to experience an issue that I'm hoping some of you may have experienced, or can assist with. I have a 2011 LS 460 AWD. Current mileage is 48,000. It seems that whenever I enter the car and put my weight in it by sitting down, I hear a clearly audible "clank" sound. It sounds like a metal on metal sound. The sound occurs when I enter either side of the car. Just FYI, I'm 6'0 tall and weigh 180lbs. So, by no means a heavy weight. lol. Any idea what this may be? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-25-19, 08:07 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Have not heard this one before. Try to listen closely and narrow down the area of the noise.
Old 10-26-19, 04:46 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Same never heard abt this but why dont you try looking underneath the seat to find any metal hitting together ? Its easy to undo the seat aswell
Old 10-26-19, 08:02 AM
Vicqlo
Rookie

My previous post should have been a bit more precise. Sorry! The sound I'm hearing is definitely coming from outside/under the car. Not from the inside. The noise "echoes" throughout the garage. It really is quite noticeable. I'm guessing that it may be some sort of suspension component. Perhaps? Up until this point, my car has only been to Lexus for service. However, in light of reviewing these forums, I see the dealer charges a premium for any type of suspension work. So, beginning today, I'll be researching a trusted independent mechanic, and have them give the car a thorough under carriage checkup. My current tires are Michelin Primacy, and they have about 32,000 miles on them. Wearing evenly and smoothly. Rotated every 4-5k when I have oil changed. But, they are do for replacement in the next several months, as I am just getting close to the wear bar. No shimmy, or shake at highway speeds. Lets hope its something trivial. Thank you for the comments!
Old 10-26-19, 08:51 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

If you think its coming from outside the area to look is behind the tires can you describe what kind of metal sound it makes is it a short tap or long creaking if it only comes when you sit inside or can you hear it if you rock the car or try applying weight near the driver side ..
Old 11-26-19, 11:47 AM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Default **Update**

Just wanted to give an update to all that have replied. Okay, I was fortunate to find a very skilled and well regarded shop in my area. Keep in mind, this is the first time that my 2011 LS has been to anyone other than Lexus during its lifetime. The shop was wonderful! In my opinion, it rivaled that of my local Lexus Dealer Service Shop in most aspects. So, the mechanic took it for a drive. He said it drives marvelous! However, he DID HEAR that "clunking" sound when he applied his weight and actually sat down inside of the car. (There, I guess I'm not crazy after all! lol.) He does know that the noise is definitely coming from the left rear wheel area of the car. Unfortunately, after several more attempts to replicate the noise, he was unsuccessful, however, he did accomplished a full suspension check. He even called me into the bay area, (which was spotless, by the way), and took me through everything. I have never had a glimpse of the underside of this car in all of the time that I have owned it. Geez, this thing is built like a tank! And, as the mechanic stated, these are very well built automobiles. He has worked on them before.
All suspension parts are in perfect working order. Control arms, sway bar links, shocks, struts, CV joints, etc., all check out just fine! Keep in mind, all parts are original to the car with the exception of front coils. They were replaced @ 19k under warranty. Car has 48k on it now. He remarked about how clean the under carriage is. Not one speck of rust, or neglect. Except for (perhaps) the area where the exhaust pipes come from the engine. But, just surface soot, so to speak. The only issue he found was a leak coming from one of the bolts that houses the transfer case fluid. I mentioned that Lexus changed the differential and transfer case fluid approximately six months ago. He said perhaps they overfilled, or didn't tighten the bolts to spec. He cleaned up the bit of seepage and tightened to spec. He also checked out the brakes just to be on the safe side. Nope, no issues there, as they were fully replaced, (rotors, pads, calipers, etc.) approximately 10,000 miles ago. So, there it is. My car is soon to be 9 years old and has 48k on it and all suspension parts are functioning as should be! Thank goodness!
We'll just have to keep an eye on that noise, and try to narrow that down. Thank you all for listening/reading. I do find some of these threads to be extremely helpful.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-26-19, 12:13 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

If it bothers you, take the car back to the same shop and have them put the car on a lift. Once accomplished, have one tech sit in the problem seat while another is underneath listening and trying to pinpoint the sound. This should shed light on the problem if the sound is indeed coming from the underside of the car. Good luck.