LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear Vents Only Partly Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 04:36 PM
HendyKK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Vents Only Partly Working

Hello fellow Lexus lovers!

I have an odd issue that I have not been able to find info about in this forum or online overall.

The rear vents only work with the overhead vents. The center vents behind the center console barely have any air coming out and I have pushed the vent control back and forth to fully open and close. The side vents on the door column also have pretty much no air coming out and the floor vents have absolutely zero coming out.

I have the back A/C turned on from the front and I am using the rear center console controls to switch between front, top, and floor vent options. The air only comes out of the top vents above the doors. The rear cooler box is getting cold air and I think the seats are getting air but none of the center vents, or the side door column vents, or the floor vents give me any airflow.

I have a 2007 LS460L with the 5 seat package and fold down rear center console. I have about 120k miles on it and I bought the car just a few months ago with 116k miles and A/C works fine up front with the 4 zone control and everything else in the car is in great condition. Unfortunately I never noticed the vents weren't working during the 30 day warranty I had and I am very much kicking myself for it now.

I can only think that it could be a fuse or whatever vent diverter motor they have tucked in the console somewhere.

I would very much value any of your wise insights into this issue. I would like to have a better idea of the potential repairs necessary before I start pulling the consoles apart looking for something that I wouldn't event recognize.

Thank you so much for reading this post. I really would appreciate any help the forum has to offer. Still loving my Lexus!
Old 12-16-19, 05:49 PM
HendyKK
Driver School Candidate

Did this stump everyone here? It stumped me

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-17-19, 05:32 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

My .02
I have a base 460. It does have rear center and side vents but no electrical way of controlling them that I know of. It's just the base model.

A few months ago my ac system developed a mind of it's own. Sometimes blow hot air when cold selected. Sometimes not blow at all. Sometimes blow only on passenger side. It ended up being what they call the ac amplifier. I bought a used one for $40 completely fixed it. Your issue could possibly be something similar.

If you have techstream software you can usually access whichever ecu computer controls the blend doors to see if you can move them. The software may give you a fault code if it can't move it.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
HendyKK (12-17-19)
Old 12-17-19, 06:45 PM
HendyKK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miket000
My .02
I have a base 460. It does have rear center and side vents but no electrical way of controlling them that I know of. It's just the base model.

A few months ago my ac system developed a mind of it's own. Sometimes blow hot air when cold selected. Sometimes not blow at all. Sometimes blow only on passenger side. It ended up being what they call the ac amplifier. I bought a used one for $40 completely fixed it. Your issue could possibly be something similar.

If you have techstream software you can usually access whichever ecu computer controls the blend doors to see if you can move them. The software may give you a fault code if it can't move it.

Good luck.
Great info! Thank you so much for the reply! I will check that out for sure!
Old 12-19-19, 09:16 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by HendyKK
Hello fellow Lexus lovers!

I have an odd issue that I have not been able to find info about in this forum or online overall.

The rear vents only work with the overhead vents. The center vents behind the center console barely have any air coming out and I have pushed the vent control back and forth to fully open and close. The side vents on the door column also have pretty much no air coming out and the floor vents have absolutely zero coming out.

I have the back A/C turned on from the front and I am using the rear center console controls to switch between front, top, and floor vent options. The air only comes out of the top vents above the doors. The rear cooler box is getting cold air and I think the seats are getting air but none of the center vents, or the side door column vents, or the floor vents give me any airflow.

I have a 2007 LS460L with the 5 seat package and fold down rear center console. I have about 120k miles on it and I bought the car just a few months ago with 116k miles and A/C works fine up front with the 4 zone control and everything else in the car is in great condition. Unfortunately I never noticed the vents weren't working during the 30 day warranty I had and I am very much kicking myself for it now.

I can only think that it could be a fuse or whatever vent diverter motor they have tucked in the console somewhere.

I would very much value any of your wise insights into this issue. I would like to have a better idea of the potential repairs necessary before I start pulling the consoles apart looking for something that I wouldn't event recognize.

Thank you so much for reading this post. I really would appreciate any help the forum has to offer. Still loving my Lexus!
The top vents in the rear are only for AC and you need to put the rear center armrest on auto. The center vents in back of the front arm rest is controlled by the front AC controls and if they are not blowing when you have the mode for feet & head on then one of your AC actuators that controls the rear flow might be bad.
The following users liked this post:
HendyKK (02-16-20)