LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Caliper rebuild LS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19 | 12:17 AM
FinnLS
Driver School Candidate

Default Caliper rebuild LS460

I am pretty sure that my front passenger side caliper is stuck: have replaced the hub, OEM rotor and Akebono pads during the past year. Still there is a high pitch whining noise during low speed driving that stops when I press the break petal slightly. Also when raising the car turning the wheel I can tell that the wheel does not move freely. Have had biannual break fluid changes. The car had seen very few miles during the last three years before I bought it so this might be the reason.

I see there are OEM and at least Febest seal kits and caliper pistons available. I have Techstream to bleed the breaks when putting the caliper back on.

Has anyone done a caliper rebuild in a LS460 ? Any tips/ideas ? Can it be done DIY ? I do all my break jobs but this would be my first caliper rebuild.

Brgrds,
FinnLS
Old 11-24-19 | 12:45 AM
ALK
Advanced

It's possible to replace it using air gun and wooden plate .
Old 11-24-19 | 05:38 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Rebuilding the caliper is def DIY as long as you have a small compressor to blow the pistons out and techstream to clear all the brake malfunction warnings that are sure to follow.
Old 11-24-19 | 08:39 PM
stasek
Advanced

Is it worth it to do the rebuild? I see some calipers @ rockauto for ~$60 (as long as you return the core).
Old 11-25-19 | 02:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I wouldn't bother, rebuilt calipers in the past and it's come back to bite me. Cheap parts, pain in the rear end, a year later you find out the dust boot didn't stay put where it was supposed to and the piston is rusted solid into the caliper bore. And if you work in the trade...everyone looks at you like you're nuts and asks...why didn't you just buy a caliper? And they're right...why didn't I?
Old 11-26-19 | 12:17 PM
FinnLS
Driver School Candidate

I think it would be hard to find a rebuilt one in Europe. Shipment back and forth to the US would be too costly. New OEM ones are not too expensive so might just do that.

Has anyone got any experience on bleeding the breaks after the caliper swap ? Should the process be done for all corners when only chancing one caliper?

Thanks
Old 05-08-20 | 07:03 AM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Originally Posted by FinnLS
I am pretty sure that my front passenger side caliper is stuck: have replaced the hub, OEM rotor and Akebono pads during the past year. Still there is a high pitch whining noise during low speed driving that stops when I press the break petal slightly. Also when raising the car turning the wheel I can tell that the wheel does not move freely. Have had biannual break fluid changes. The car had seen very few miles during the last three years before I bought it so this might be the reason.

I see there are OEM and at least Febest seal kits and caliper pistons available. I have Techstream to bleed the breaks when putting the caliper back on.

Has anyone done a caliper rebuild in a LS460 ? Any tips/ideas ? Can it be done DIY ? I do all my break jobs but this would be my first caliper rebuild.

Brgrds,
FinnLS
I think you are all set with this issue, but I just want to share my experience.

I bought a used calipers in eBay and the kit below. It was so easy and fun to rebuild. The challenge part is to pull out the pistons which I basically used my portable air pump.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...79-50180.html?

My problem now is I don't have Techstream to do a bleeding and to clean any malfunction