LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lean code bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 09:14 PM
Jimbo1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Lean code bank 1

I have a 2008 LS 460 with 143k. Within the last 500 miles I had a rough idle, but car accelerated fine. Had the car diagnosed and found lean code bank 1 and misfire #7 cylinder. Replaced the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and high pressure fuel pump gaskets.
Misfire is gone but lean code remains. Tried swapping high pressure fuel pumps between banks, problem did not follow. Cleaned mass airflow sensor and swapped between banks, problem did not follow. Rough idle and hesitation only occur once the engine has warmed up and been running/driving for awhile. Hesitation is at low rpms at highway speed.
Suspected fouled port injectors bank 1, replaced injectors, and the problem remained.

We've checked for vacuum leaks twice over with no joy.

So my next thoughts are faulty o2 sensor, faulty air/fuel ration sensor, or faulty mass airflow sensor.
Before I jump into throwing more parts at this problem, anyone have any advice on troubleshooting or a particular component to consider first?
Old 11-25-19, 09:28 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

What exactly is the code you’re getting? Last year I got P0171 and P2195 and the culprit was faulty O2 sensor.
Old 11-25-19, 09:39 PM
Jimbo1234
Driver School Candidate

Just P0171 no additional code is being thrown. A faulty sensor, air/fuel ratio sensor, or mass airflow sensor would throw an additional code?
Old 11-29-19, 03:19 PM
Jimbo1234
Driver School Candidate

Solved the issue. O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 was faulty. It wouldn't overtly throw a code, but live data showed once the car was hot the sensor would lag causing the lean condition.
The following users liked this post:
Thegamemhb (11-29-19)
Old 12-01-19, 04:21 PM
WoodyTx
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1234
Solved the issue. O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 was faulty. It wouldn't overtly throw a code, but live data showed once the car was hot the sensor would lag causing the lean condition.
i bought a 07 LS460 with 153k miles 2 weeks ago, lights came on! Brought it back to Lexus dealership that I bought it from, found out that they knew about the leaking oil from fuel pump gaskets but sold it to me without repairing it, service manager said that it would be 1700 retail -15% to repair fuel pump gaskets and replace 02 sensors that oil is dripping onto! Then within an hour, before I saw 1st email, they came back and said sales manager wanted to help out and offered 500.00 towards repair! So now I’m at 1000 for repairs! They have cleared the lights, said it was only a matter of time before they come on again! Pre- owned manager, called me and told me that at 153k miles, the car is going to have some oil leaks! (Ignorance is bliss). My question is are the 02 sensors bad? If I get the fuel pump gaskets repaired, and oil quits dripping onto 02 sensors! I would think that I’m ok! Would love to hear thoughts on this? And how much are O2 sensors and replacement costs as well as fuel pump gasket replacement costs! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-20, 11:09 AM
WoodyTx
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Update on 07 Lexus

Originally Posted by WoodyTx
i bought a 07 LS460 with 153k miles 2 weeks ago, lights came on! Brought it back to Lexus dealership that I bought it from, found out that they knew about the leaking oil from fuel pump gaskets but sold it to me without repairing it, service manager said that it would be 1700 retail -15% to repair fuel pump gaskets and replace 02 sensors that oil is dripping onto! Then within an hour, before I saw 1st email, they came back and said sales manager wanted to help out and offered 500.00 towards repair! So now I’m at 1000 for repairs! They have cleared the lights, said it was only a matter of time before they come on again! Pre- owned manager, called me and told me that at 153k miles, the car is going to have some oil leaks! (Ignorance is bliss). My question is are the 02 sensors bad? If I get the fuel pump gaskets repaired, and oil quits dripping onto 02 sensors! I would think that I’m ok! Would love to hear thoughts on this? And how much are O2 sensors and replacement costs as well as fuel pump gasket replacement costs! Thanks in advance!
Update:
I had valve cover gaskets, fuel pump gaskets, both 02 sensors, spark plugs replaced, MAF Sensor cleaned and oil change for 475.00 - dealership went above and beyond! Sterling McCall Lexus Clear Lake in Houston! I’m also getting my interior replaced because of sticky recall!
The following users liked this post:
unamsoft (05-21-24)
Old 03-23-20, 08:29 AM
cochiseg
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

wow what a good price thats amazing
also getting the interior replaced free in a 07?
Old 05-26-20, 06:55 AM
Myze
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replace left bank pre-cat O2 sensor

Originally Posted by Jimbo1234
I'm fighting the same battle with my 2008 LS460, and after reading some live data decided to start with the left bank pre-cat O2 sensor as well. But I have hit the wall on how to be able to reach the connector that is buried way up between the back of he engine & the firewall. If it wasn't bad enough I had to remove half the front suspension just to get to the sensor, but to now add this insult to injury... I've tried a number of long screwdriver attempts to try & depress the tab & try to unplug by pulling on the O2 wire, but so far haven't had any luck. Then I read somewhere that there may be two locking tabs on this connector?..

So I'm hoping somebody out there can provide some advice on any special techniques or tools to be able to unlatch the connector receptacle allowing the O2 to be unplugged. I obviously don't want to pull to hard & jack-up the receptive, as I don't know how you would ever get to it to replace without pulling the motor. Which if I succeed on unplugging it, I'm also concerned about how to get a new O2 sensor plugged back in with such limited space...

I keep remembering my Dad's advice to date girls with small hands because "it's good for a mans ego"... Which I think I just found another benefit, as my hands are on the opposite side of that qualification.

Thoughts?

You can barely see the connector in this picture as it a minimum of 12" up between the back of the engine & firewall. No access from above as well...
Old 05-30-20, 04:17 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Myze
I'm fighting the same battle with my 2008 LS460, and after reading some live data decided to start with the left bank pre-cat O2 sensor as well. But I have hit the wall on how to be able to reach the connector that is buried way up between the back of he engine & the firewall. If it wasn't bad enough I had to remove half the front suspension just to get to the sensor, but to now add this insult to injury... I've tried a number of long screwdriver attempts to try & depress the tab & try to unplug by pulling on the O2 wire, but so far haven't had any luck. Then I read somewhere that there may be two locking tabs on this connector?..

So I'm hoping somebody out there can provide some advice on any special techniques or tools to be able to unlatch the connector receptacle allowing the O2 to be unplugged. I obviously don't want to pull to hard & jack-up the receptive, as I don't know how you would ever get to it to replace without pulling the motor. Which if I succeed on unplugging it, I'm also concerned about how to get a new O2 sensor plugged back in with such limited space...

I keep remembering my Dad's advice to date girls with small hands because "it's good for a mans ego"... Which I think I just found another benefit, as my hands are on the opposite side of that qualification.

Thoughts?

You can barely see the connector in this picture as it a minimum of 12" up between the back of the engine & firewall. No access from above as well...

listen I’m not sure about the driver side. But I just changed mine on the passenger side. I crawled under the car and summoned my kid. I showed him what to pull and told him to put his hand on it. I went back to the engine bay depressed the release on the clip with a long screw driver, told him to pull and voila!

Really simple job on the passenger side but I had to remove the battery and the tray. Hopefully the clip is visible from the driver side.
Old 05-31-20, 09:23 AM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Someone posted reaching the sensors by running their arm along next to the transmission. The girl with small hands and long arms is a good idea!
Old 12-07-21, 05:39 PM
SENSAY813
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Pcv valve

Remove replace your pcv valve it's under the intake manifold😔
it's stuck open or stuck closed this is normal brake down at 130k plus miles.
carbon build up causes this valve to take a dump.

Last edited by SENSAY813; 12-07-21 at 05:44 PM.