LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ABS, AFS, DSC, cruise, brakehold not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-20, 11:51 AM
rbcomp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shalimar
I think you are correct , but they did not use that name . In any event, the actuator is a part that Lexus acknowledged was sometimes defective. They extended the warranty for ten years and 150,000 miles so I suspect it will be covered under warranty. So this begs the question of why Lexus didn’t recognize this when I first took it to them? I don’t have much faith in my dealer. For seven years of complaints about intermittent acceleration pauses I discovered a service bulletin discussing this issue. When I brought this up during my recent visit they acted dumb but later said “Oh, we found that service bulletin you brought up”. (Yet to be resolved). I heard something that may or not be true but might have a bearing on my problems. I heard: Dealers absolutely HATE warranty work because they are only reimbursed the actual cost they pay the mechanic and the part is reimbursed at dealer cost”.
Please keep us updated. The ECU and the actuator are two different things. My dealer suggested that once i change the wiring harness and bearing hub they would then consider the ECU if the errors keep popping up. The ECU is under the driver side dash.. the actuator is totally different.
Old 01-19-20, 11:54 AM
Shalimar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I thought they were the same part. I’ll keep you informed
Old 01-23-20, 08:42 PM
rbcomp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shalimar
Thanks for the info. I thought they were the same part. I’ll keep you informed
Any word on your situation?
Old 01-24-20, 02:19 AM
Shalimar
Driver School Candidate

They are still waiting for part (apparently remanufactured). Then part goes to Lexus dealer (where car is) for installation.
Old 01-24-20, 07:16 AM
Shalimar
Driver School Candidate

I should add that this has given me time to test drive new cars. I like the Genesis and the Avalon so far. The Accord is great in its price range.
Old 03-04-20, 10:22 AM
Shalimar
Driver School Candidate

I have been late on an update because I have been so disgusted with this entire affair. A Lexus dealer wound up replacing the actuator with what was supposed to be a remanufactured part. I found out later that the part was actually from a junked car two years older and with 150k miles on it. The dealer said my car (a 2011 with 100k) was not covered by an extended warranty. This fixed the problem.
I wonder why when eight weeks earlier I first took this to a (different) dealer that he didn’t recognize this documented defect. And why that extended warranty did not cover it?
I recently found out that the hesitation, that I tolerated and continually complained about for years, was also a documented problem. They never reflashed the computer or suggested the heads may have to have the valve guides replaced.
So, after an inoperable car for almost two months and $6000 in repairs I had a car with a known weak part that is two years older than what I had.
I could fight with Lexus. But they are disgusting. I traded my car for a new Avalon.
It is no wonder that Lexus has dropped in their ratings.
Old 03-04-20, 10:34 AM
rbcomp
Driver School Candidate

Wow, sorry to hear that. That is some terrible service. Honestly, if I were you I would report them to Lexus Corporate.

For the record, it appears my issue all along had something to do with the wiring harness. About a month ago I was sick and tired of trying to have the dealer sort out the issue so I finally tore down the entire front driver side assembly. I disconnected every electrical system, cleaned them all out and applied a fair dab of grease to each. Everything looked perfectly fine otherwise. After doing this, the errors all went away and it's been approx a month with no recurrence. Fingers crossed.