LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Blackstone Lab Reprt

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19 | 06:28 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spudo769
I sent an oil sample away to an independent analysis firm who is not trying to sell me their oil. All of the metals they tested for were well within spec, there were no contaminants, there was still a high level of detergents, showing that in their expert opinion the oil still had a lot of life left. They did not recommend using or not using any specific brand, and wrote a long paragraph on how everything was operating at a very high level and that I could potentially extend my change interval by 50%. No factual evidence? Maybe not. But "some guy on the internet" tells me in spite of all that I am using garbage oil but doesn't give me any actual evidence to support his claim. Where do I get this much more expensive oil?😂
Well, I am not buying this "extend your oil drain interval" thing whatsoever. Maybe you could, but even if the detergents in the oil are still sufficient, the oil is dirty. You're better off changing your oil MORE often than less often.

The good metal wear values indicates mainly* the healthy of the engine itself rather than the oil it is using.
Old 12-12-19 | 06:47 AM
Mikerx80
Pit Crew

I still don’t understand why a 2010 LS requires an oil change at 5k miles if it is the same engine...
Old 12-12-19 | 07:04 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
I still don’t understand why a 2010 LS requires an oil change at 5k miles if it is the same engine...
Newer vehicle = Lexus trying harder to get you to not take care of it properly = you find yourself seated instead a brand new lexus again 5 years later , = more money for lexus. simple.

That's what will happen (maybe not after 5 years) if you change your oil every 10 k and don't bother to touch your transmission pan filter or fluid at all.
Old 12-12-19 | 10:13 AM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Most likely because .... lawyers....

I set my reminder for 7500 and go from there. And I use the best $15 synthetic oil money can buy - SuperTech from Wally World.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (12-13-19)
Old 12-12-19 | 10:19 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

I still change mine under 5k miles. Dirty oils can still have a lot of detergents in it. But yes, you are still better changing it more often. Whether your car can get another 100k mikes out of it if you change your oil more often or use better oil? I can’t say bc it comes down to if you’re engine is sludging or gelling. I would focus more on make sure that PCV valve is not clogged.
Moisture (12-12-19)
Old 12-12-19 | 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Moisture
Newer vehicle = Lexus trying harder to get you to not take care of it properly = you find yourself seated instead a brand new lexus again 5 years later , = more money for lexus. simple.

That's what will happen (maybe not after 5 years) if you change your oil every 10 k and don't bother to touch your transmission pan filter or fluid at all.
This isn't at all what it is. Lexus does not want to hurt their reputation for reliability and dependability. Its pressure from competing automakers who have much longer intervals and having to compete with them in that area.

I choose to change mine every 5k, but I'm 110% confident 10k changes would be fine and that I would no longer own the car before any impact of those longer changes would be seen, if there were any impact.

As for Mobil 1, I would be interested to see what you base the statement that its "Garbage oil" on. Surely there are easily shared factual reasons (I don't use Mobil 1 BTW)
Old 12-12-19 | 11:05 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

It is my understanding from posts here that TGMO was specifically made with different additives to work with their engines. Is that not important?
Old 12-12-19 | 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
It is my understanding from posts here that TGMO was specifically made with different additives to work with their engines. Is that not important?
Thats what I use, its true but I don't think it has a huge impact.
Old 12-12-19 | 11:12 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Mobil 1 being overrated and shear test failures has been documented over 10 years ago and discussed heavily in BITOG. I’m sure they have reformulated their additives pack in their oil. Ive long lost that article on the tests of Mobil 1, Amsoil, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, etc.
Moisture (12-12-19)
Old 12-12-19 | 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've read BITOG, plenty of people still using Mobil 1
Old 12-12-19 | 12:55 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

I’m not knocking on Mobil 1. I just saying it didn’t perform well on the independent testing some years ago. I know synthetics aren’t all the same but dont care all that much bc I change my oil often so I get Pennzoil and Castro full synthetics at the price of Walmart Full Synthetic. I think Walmart Super Tech is a Group III synthetic oil? It has a tendency to break down around 4k miles.
Old 12-12-19 | 01:38 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chaos236
What is your background,knowledge base that make you an expert?
When did I say I am an expert? It's from research i've done over the years that made me come to this conclusion.

Look up Mobil 1 on BITOG and see what you find.
Old 12-12-19 | 03:29 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil 1, or any other of these over the counter brand name synthetic oils. They're all hydrocracked group 3 synthetics with excellent (and similar) add packs, capable of your 5,000-7,500 mile intervals...more if you're brave, top off frequently and don't believe that timing chains and direct injection put a strain on oil. Some would argue that all of these oils (Mobil1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, etc) can hold their add packs better than a group 4 oil, at half the cost. All of these oils are capable of negating some of the low speed preignition of direct injection and valve coking.

But I'll say this...I would not do extended drains in a 2007 LS460. I did that once, was a great idea until I reached about 150,000 miles. Then the oil consumption started...little bit at first, then more, then more. Had so much blow bye getting past those rings that my intake was always tracking oil. Spark plugs would get coated with oil. Valve guides were worn, rings. I blame the never ending quest for corporate average fuel economy (cafe) regulations...lower tension rings, longer drains, lighter oils. Five thousand miles is the most ill do now...6,000 if I'm stretching it. And I always make sure my oil level is up.
Old 12-12-19 | 03:40 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Doublebase
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil 1, or any other of these over the counter brand name synthetic oils. They're all hydrocracked group 3 synthetics with excellent (and similar) add packs, capable of your 5,000-7,500 mile intervals...more if you're brave, top off frequently and don't believe that timing chains and direct injection put a strain on oil. Some would argue that all of these oils (Mobil1, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, etc) can hold their add packs better than a group 4 oil, at half the cost. All of these oils are capable of negating some of the low speed preignition of direct injection and valve coking.

But I'll say this...I would not do extended drains in a 2007 LS460. I did that once, was a great idea until I reached about 150,000 miles. Then the oil consumption started...little bit at first, then more, then more. Had so much blow bye getting past those rings that my intake was always tracking oil. Spark plugs would get coated with oil. Valve guides were worn, rings. I blame the never ending quest for corporate average fuel economy (cafe) regulations...lower tension rings, longer drains, lighter oils. Five thousand miles is the most ill do now...6,000 if I'm stretching it. And I always make sure my oil level is up.
You swear by these oils, yet complain that this same oil which is apparently is so great, is being consumed to the point where your spark plugs were coated with oil?
Old 12-12-19 | 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Moisture
You swear by these oils, yet complain that this same oil which is apparently is so great, is being consumed to the point where your spark plugs were coated with oil?
If you have an engine that is using oil switching to a different brand oil is not going to stop it from using oil.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Lab Reprt