LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Blackstone Lab Reprt

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
Im also backing my findings based with what many other people online have said about these oils, and cold start protection is obviously an extremely important aspect of engine oil.
But here's the problem with that....people talking online have no idea what they're talking about. They spout BS they too have simply read other people say as though its gospel. As example? Your post:

Mobil 1 is some of the most garbage oil you can buy.

That statement is BS. And when pressed it was clear you had no foundation for that statement, no reason for saying that and no experience to allow you to make such a statement with any authority. So the next guy reads that and goes down the line and spouts the same BS and here we are.

The following users liked this post:
Bitterroot (12-15-19)
Old 12-15-19, 04:50 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The bottom line of all of this is, people throw around "this oil does this" and "this oil does that" when in reality there is no way to base those statements in fact. "Motul gives additional protection at the end of the oil interval" How? In what way? How is that protection measured? What results to the vehicle owner does that supposed protection provide? Its all marketing and word of mouth jargon. Every once in a while somebody throws in an oil analysis that tells us basically nothing.

Bottom line is...its oil. If you enjoy shopping for and comparing and choosing the best oil for your vehicle, great...do that. I also enjoy caring for my vehicles with the best products. However, to make a statement like the most commonly sold synthetic oil is "garbage" and to imply that owners who use that oil are somehow damaging their vehicles is just total BS.

Its like fuel. Do I use Shell's VPower or Exxon's Angeldust or BP's "Envigorate"?!? Which is better? It doesnt matter. Use the fuel the manufacturer suggests you use and your car will be fine. Get it from Bob's gas station.

If you use Mobil 1 and change the oil at the recommended intervals, your engine will be FINE for just as long as you want to own the car. If you do that with your grocery store brand oil guess what? It will also be fine. At the end of the day its a thing, and when you go to trade it in or sell it nobody will care that you used some fancy german oil with a name nobody can pronounce, and even if they do care they might pay you $500 more for the car. If that brings you enjoyment, then do that...but you're just doing it for your own enjoyment.
agree usually Steve with you but shell v power is better than all period.
Old 12-15-19, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
agree usually Steve with you but shell v power is better than all period.
How do you quantify that?
Old 12-15-19, 06:02 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

same way I quantify better oil
its not perception
I appreciate your opinion on the oil didn't want to do the tit for tat, I disagree with the premise its for the mind of the buyer not one better
but for gas

I have run three turbo cars with premium gas, 2 naturally aspirated v8,s
have run mpg tests with bp, shell, chevron texaco and costco and exxon mobil
shell get the best mpg with the least amount of throttle input needed to get better mpg off line.
the cleaning agents are second to none, and the power under full throttle speaks volumes with v power

it would be shell, and chevron texaco close behind for quality and best in class
and the rest of the top tier providers go from there.

as a good example of the quality of shell gas:
I usually use only premium. If I ran costco 87 in wife's bmw that requires 89 octane at a min the car ran not so happy
if I used shell regular unleaded in a pinch ran pretty good.

I Quantify things based on feel, throttle input, mpg, and full throttle acceleration
not to say I don't use costco premium because I do its 35 cents less expensive.
but shell v power is unsurpassed
Old 12-15-19, 06:50 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Reduced oil viscosity interferes with formation of a durable lubricating film, inviting wear. Combustion-zone parts are especially prone to wear, including the pistons, rings and liners. Reduced viscosity also negatively affects the oil’s ability to function as a hydraulic fluid, which is critical in engines with variable valve timing.

• Fuel can wash oil from the cylinder wall, causing higher rates of ring, piston and cylinder wear.

• Reduced effectiveness of detergency additives limits the oil’s ability to guard against deposits.

• Increased oil volatility results in higher oil consumption, requiring more frequent top-offs.

• Accelerated oxidation reduces the oil’s service life and requires more frequent oil changes.
Old 12-15-19, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I Quantify things based on feel, throttle input, mpg, and full throttle acceleration
but shell v power is unsurpassed
No offense, but all of that sounds pretty subjective to me. I go back and forth between Shell, Exxon and Sunoco typically, and my car feels exactly the same on all of them. I see no difference in MPG, no difference in feel or responsibeness. Remember, its 99% the exact same fuel, the only difference is the additive package which is about equivalent to a 5 gallon paint bucket in an entire tanker full of fuel.

Reduced oil viscosity interferes with formation of a durable lubricating film, inviting wear. Combustion-zone parts are especially prone to wear, including the pistons, rings and liners. Reduced viscosity also negatively affects the oil’s ability to function as a hydraulic fluid, which is critical in engines with variable valve timing.

• Fuel can wash oil from the cylinder wall, causing higher rates of ring, piston and cylinder wear.

• Reduced effectiveness of detergency additives limits the oil’s ability to guard against deposits.

• Increased oil volatility results in higher oil consumption, requiring more frequent top-offs.

• Accelerated oxidation reduces the oil’s service life and requires more frequent oil changes.
And? What documentation do you have that Mobil 1 is less effective at dealing with those issues than any other oil?
Old 12-15-19, 07:52 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 151 Posts

My dirt bike four stroke long term engine builds in high volume have shown the non Dino oils have significantly reduced wear shown.

my understating is that Motul and Motorex are distilled out of a stream of ethylene gas. Never were Dino.

the Motorex engines especially look almost new inside. Done 300 over 15 years,

I have had several motors lose ring seal from ingestion of foreign particles and have been able to restore ring seal from changing the oil to 50/50 Dino high detergent oil for a few hours.

my builds have steel lined cylinders with 12.5 compression ratio pistons with steel ring sets like most of these cars.

if I started using oil I would for sure attempt to reseat the ring set as it has worked many times for me over 50 years of building racing engines.

if it uses oil already my thoughts would be what do I have to lose?

mine is at 1 quart in 5k miles roughly

Old 12-15-19, 08:05 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
My dirt bike four stroke long term engine builds in high volume have shown the non Dino oils have significantly reduced wear shown.

my understating is that Motul and Motorex are distilled out of a stream of ethylene gas. Never were Dino.

the Motorex engines especially look almost new inside. Done 300 over 15 years,

I have had several motors lose ring seal from ingestion of foreign particles and have been able to restore ring seal from changing the oil to 50/50 Dino high detergent oil for a few hours.

my builds have steel lined cylinders with 12.5 compression ratio pistons with steel ring sets like most of these cars.

if I started using oil I would for sure attempt to reseat the ring set as it has worked many times for me over 50 years of building racing engines.

if it uses oil already my thoughts would be what do I have to lose?

mine is at 1 quart in 5k miles roughly
What about with Motul oil?

What oil weight do you recommend?

Can you reseat the piston rings without taking apart the engine?

What sort of 50/50 high detergent oil? Would shell rotella diesel oil work?
Old 12-16-19, 01:09 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I’ve been getting Pennzoil Platinum and Castro Magnatec for around $14 a 5qt jug for years off of sales and rebate. No reason not to.
Old 12-16-19, 04:45 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No offense, but all of that sounds pretty subjective to me. I go back and forth between Shell, Exxon and Sunoco typically, and my car feels exactly the same on all of them. I see no difference in MPG, no difference in feel or responsibeness. Remember, its 99% the exact same fuel, the only difference is the additive package which is about equivalent to a 5 gallon paint bucket in an entire tanker full of fuel.

And? What documentation do you have that Mobil 1 is less effective at dealing with those issues than any other oil?
Steve, out of all the people I read on forums, I respect your thoughts and ideas, and knowledge more than anyone except a couple.
so I will say this, you and I have private messaged a couple of times and I can call you a
Friend:
Friend to Friend: its Christmas and New Years time:
you love your ls and talk about buying it and end of lease
From a friend miles and miles away
for a month run Shell V power
and next oil change put Penzoil Platinum in at your indy garage you love
the new year month experiment will last in 2024.
both are a cut above, will you feel it with the oil probably not,
but you will with v power and the gallon bucket of additives you mentioned. Its in a class above others
Old 12-16-19, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Steve, out of all the people I read on forums, I respect your thoughts and ideas, and knowledge more than anyone except a couple.
so I will say this, you and I have private messaged a couple of times and I can call you a
Friend:
Friend to Friend: its Christmas and New Years time:
you love your ls and talk about buying it and end of lease
From a friend miles and miles away
for a month run Shell V power
and next oil change put Penzoil Platinum in at your indy garage you love
the new year month experiment will last in 2024.
both are a cut above, will you feel it with the oil probably not,
but you will with v power and the gallon bucket of additives you mentioned. Its in a class above others
I appreciate you too friend, but all of that is just anecdotal and seat of the pants. I do routinely use Shell vPower as I get Giant food points which are only good at Shell. I do sometimes use other gas brands though and I truly don't see any difference.
Old 12-16-19, 11:05 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

the uz engine blocks can easily do 15k intervals with synthetic oil
Old 12-16-19, 12:10 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 151 Posts

What about with Motul oil?

What oil weight do you recommend?

Can you reseat the piston rings without taking apart the engine?

What sort of 50/50 high detergent oil? Would shell rotella diesel oil work?
Motul would be high dollar

yes on the white container Rotella. Formula changed recently. Have not tried this trick with the new stuff,
Old 12-17-19, 02:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Three years ago I attended a presentation by Shell engineers on their V Power gasoline. Now I realize they are trying to sell their product, but I have to say the documentation they produced was very convincing as to the effectiveness of their product. Now that's not to say if I attended an Exxon, Sunoco or other brand presentation I may have been equally impressed. Anyway now I use Shell exclusively.

I use the Harley brand motor oil in my motorcycle and I believe it is made to their specifications by Mobil.
Old 12-17-19, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota's motor oil is made to their specifications by Mobil too

Quick Reply: Blackstone Lab Reprt