LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS issues after wheel change

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-19, 07:08 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default TPMS issues after wheel change

When I bought this car, I got two sets of OEM wheels for it. TPMS has been working as supposed to, until this week when I had the other set fitted (winter tires). The multi-information system showed 4 counts of "CHECKING" + the spare tire pressure, and in the evening lit up the TPMS light and told me to have the TPMS checked. Pressing the TPMS reset button, as instructed on the manual, did nothing. I read the codes, and found these:
C2121 Transmitter ID 1 not Received (Main)
C2122 Transmitter ID 2 not Received (Main)
C2123 Transmitter ID 3 not Received (Main)
C2124 Transmitter ID 4 not Received (Main)

Does the "(Main)" perhaps refer to the system looking for a "main" sensor set, indicating that a secondary set exists, and that it is possible to somehow switch between the two...? If the car requires registering the sensor IDs every time the set is changed, I should be able to do that myself with Techstream, but I don't know the IDs on these sensors...

The wheels I had on until now are getting refinished, so once they dismount the tires I'll ****** the sensors to verify part numbers etc. I'm not even sure whether they're 433 MHz (since I'm in Europe) or 315 MHz (the only frequency for the LS600h in Denso's catalogue).

Assuming all my fitted TPMS sensors are old, as far as I'm aware my options are:
1) purchase 9x OEM sensors - hideously expensive
2) purchase 9x aftermarket sensors - apparently good ones are reliable and similarly accurate?
3) try replacing the 9x batteries on the current (probably OEM) sensors as instructed here
Old 12-21-19, 08:59 AM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Fastest cheapest way to solve this problem is to go to Discount Tire where they will go around to each tire with a handheld unit to "wakeup" each TPMS sensor

OR, your sensors may be too old and need to be replaced, my car is an 07 and I went to Discount one year ago to have new sensors put on the wheels
Old 12-21-19, 09:35 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Originally Posted by colfax
Fastest cheapest way to solve this problem is to go to Discount Tire where they will go around to each tire with a handheld unit to "wakeup" each TPMS sensor

OR, your sensors may be too old and need to be replaced, my car is an 07 and I went to Discount one year ago to have new sensors put on the wheels
I've seen this service by Discount Tire mentioned here before, but unfortunately they don't operate in Finland.
Old 12-21-19, 04:07 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

I believe the correct TPMS sensor part# for your car, a 2008 LS600h, is Denso 550-0103.

Here is a link to the Denso site: http://densoautoparts.com/tpms-sensors.aspx

There is a downloadable file "Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Removal & Installation Instructions" on the site.

The 550-0103 sensors are available from Amazon.com for about $35 each.

An electronic tool is required to register the sensor IDs in the car's electronics.

The car supports 5 sensors - typically 4 rollers and one spare.

"Checking" is displayed when there is no pressure report from sensor IDs that are registered in the car. After 20 minutes of checking, the car reports system failure.

The button under the dash is not a "reset" - it is a TPMS Benchmark Set ( benchmarking is the process for establishing the warning thresholds). The car's TPMS is reset each time the ignition is turned on.

Last edited by jmcraney; 12-21-19 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SpruceRain (12-22-19)
Old 12-21-19, 07:00 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Sounds like you're going to use TechStream to update the sensor IDs, but if you're interested you can buy a small device just for that purpose. Here's my review of the ATEQ TPM QuickSet:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-quickset.html

If you need the sensor IDs from your wheels, I would think any tire shop would do that for you.
Old 12-22-19, 06:25 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I believe the correct TPMS sensor part# for your car, a 2008 LS600h, is Denso 550-0103.

Here is a link to the Denso site: http://densoautoparts.com/tpms-sensors.aspx

There is a downloadable file "Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Removal & Installation Instructions" on the site.

The 550-0103 sensors are available from Amazon.com for about $35 each.

An electronic tool is required to register the sensor IDs in the car's electronics.

The car supports 5 sensors - typically 4 rollers and one spare.

"Checking" is displayed when there is no pressure report from sensor IDs that are registered in the car. After 20 minutes of checking, the car reports system failure.

The button under the dash is not a "reset" - it is a TPMS Benchmark Set ( benchmarking is the process for establishing the warning thresholds). The car's TPMS is reset each time the ignition is turned on.
A lot of valuable information, thanks! I saw the Denso sensors for sale, but with delivery to Finland and our customs/taxes, a set of four is around $200. If they're practically OEM, they might still be the best bet. I'll just need to verify that those work for an EU-spec LS. I'll check either the ones on the other wheel set, or the ones I have currently installed, while checking their IDs.

Originally Posted by DerrickM
Sounds like you're going to use TechStream to update the sensor IDs, but if you're interested you can buy a small device just for that purpose. Here's my review of the ATEQ TPM QuickSet:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-quickset.html

If you need the sensor IDs from your wheels, I would think any tire shop would do that for you.
Thanks, but I think I'll use TechStream since it has other uses as well and isn't too cumbersome.

I'll call around tire shops nearby and ask about getting to the sensors. It probably requires dismounting the tires, but it'd be the quickest fix for the glaring warning lights.
Old 12-22-19, 07:40 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

If the sensors are good they don't need to take the tires off the rims. They have a device that sends a radio signal to the sensors to make them transmit, then captures the transmitted ID.
The following users liked this post:
SpruceRain (12-23-19)
Old 12-22-19, 07:48 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Originally Posted by DerrickM
If the sensors are good they don't need to take the tires off the rims. They have a device that sends a radio signal to the sensors to make them transmit, then captures the transmitted ID.
What, really? I suppose that's what colfax meant when he mentioned a way to "wake up" the sensors. That'd be fantastic, now I know what to ask for.
Old 12-22-19, 08:01 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Yeah, typically the same device. "Wake up" refers to bringing the sensors out of the dormant state they are in when first manufactured. Makes the batteries last longer, plus you don't have all these radios on the shelf beaming signals at you.
Old 12-23-19, 12:35 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Found a tire shop who scanned my IDs and coded them on the car, free of charge. No more TPMS light, and all tires are reporting pressures now. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-23-19, 07:53 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SpruceRain
Found a tire shop who scanned my IDs and coded them on the car, free of charge. No more TPMS light, and all tires are reporting pressures now. Thanks for all the help!
Hopefully you saved the original TPMS sensor IDs, so you can easily reprogram them in the spring.
Old 12-23-19, 09:23 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

That would've been an excellent idea, actually...but I have yet to figure out how to retrieve them with Techstream.
It's no issue though; I'm having the other wheel set refinished, so once they remove the tires, I'll be able to check the ID tags on the sensors.
Old 01-18-20, 08:27 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

While looking around, I noticed this:

Since there's "Main Tire" and "2nd Tire", as well as "Select Switch" set to MAIN position, does my LS600h actually have the ability to store two tire sets (main & secondary), and even switch between them?

EDIT:
Seems like the ability to store two sets might be there, but there's no way to switch between them since the car lacks the physical switch some other Toyota/Lexus models have ("WITHOUT").

Last edited by SpruceRain; 05-09-20 at 10:54 AM.