LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Head-scratching Exhaust behaviour on my 07 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 06:29 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
well I can understand going thicker if theres oil consumption although some may argue otherwise, but I have 0 oil consumption at the moment anyways. The previous guy who owned the car was doing 5W30. I might go as far as that maximum. I have 0 appetite for risk haha what you are suggesting is a bit too much for my appetite. You are located in Ontario canada and you use that thick of a oil?

Another thing about my car is the engine was totally taken apart a few months ago, i am not gonna get into why and what etc too much to type.. and put together again, i posted about it here in forums. essentially only thing not changed were piston rings... coz the idiots who were doing it under recall did not consult me anyways So far not much oil consumption. I am holding steadish at 1/2way point between low and full. I am at about 2000+ miles or something, I will check later today what the oil level is and post back. So since i got the car last year, I had changed it to 0W20 Toyota.. then the car went into lexus for 3 months... they changed it to Lexus branded 0w20.... and i have had it about 6 months since they redid the engine and i am thinking about maybe 5W30 to see how the mpg is with that,
I wouldn't be too concerned about MPG differences between different weight oils. 0w20 offers maybe an increase of 0.2MPG but only during cold starts and this is easily negated due to the fact that 0w20 allows for more carbon build-up. I'm not sure if your Lexus has Direct injection or not, but 0w20 would be its worst enemy...

Anyways,, yes. I live in Ontario and I have even used up to 20W50 in a different car this winter. No problems cold starting if parked in a garage..If the car was left outside for a few hours in -10C or colder you could feel that the oil was very thick, but it didn't give me any problems. Once it gets colder than -20c, then a 10w or 20w starts to become not so good of an idea. If you are experiencing some oil consumption with 0w20, that will stop completely once you swiitch to 5w30. Also, make sure to note how the engine runs with the hood up after you change the oil... you will notice it runs much more quiet and smooth.

5w40 is by no means a thick oil. You can run that without an issue year-round. In fact I would refuse to go any thinner than a 40 weight for summer time. As long as you park inside a garage during the coldest of winters you could even go a bit thicker if you really wanted to, but there is no need as long as you are using a quality 5w40 weight oil.
Old 12-26-19, 08:26 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

so i get one point you were trying to make, which I will look up, you just mentioned 0W20 will cause more carbon build up in the DI system, why? And yes I do have the DI system.

Well I live in a apartment and it is covered but not enclosed parking so it it gets cold, this winter I would hardly think so. but that is another story.

I think I might be willing to give 5W30 a go, since I have read about people going that route, i do see the manual for europe allows up to 10w40 and etc

Originally Posted by Moisture
I wouldn't be too concerned about MPG differences between different weight oils. 0w20 offers maybe an increase of 0.2MPG but only during cold starts and this is easily negated due to the fact that 0w20 allows for more carbon build-up. I'm not sure if your Lexus has Direct injection or not, but 0w20 would be its worst enemy...

Anyways,, yes. I live in Ontario and I have even used up to 20W50 in a different car this winter. No problems cold starting if parked in a garage..If the car was left outside for a few hours in -10C or colder you could feel that the oil was very thick, but it didn't give me any problems. Once it gets colder than -20c, then a 10w or 20w starts to become not so good of an idea. If you are experiencing some oil consumption with 0w20, that will stop completely once you swiitch to 5w30. Also, make sure to note how the engine runs with the hood up after you change the oil... you will notice it runs much more quiet and smooth.

5w40 is by no means a thick oil. You can run that without an issue year-round. In fact I would refuse to go any thinner than a 40 weight for summer time. As long as you park inside a garage during the coldest of winters you could even go a bit thicker if you really wanted to, but there is no need as long as you are using a quality 5w40 weight oil.
Old 01-05-20, 12:56 PM
aprileve8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing is happening with my car. Warm and cold temps. I think it’s oil because I
touched inside the pipes and there was blk residue. I live in CT & I’m stressed out bc I’ve
been in & out of hospital and simply can’t afford a major repair! I love this car!
Old 01-05-20, 01:02 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by aprileve8
Same thing is happening with my car. Warm and cold temps. I think it’s oil because I
touched inside the pipes and there was blk residue. I live in CT & I’m stressed out bc I’ve
been in & out of hospital and simply can’t afford a major repair! I love this car!
check your oil levels
Old 01-14-20, 07:02 PM
djmuyssson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

With the rollercoaster temps here in Ottawa lately I've had a good opportunity to observe how the exhaust behaves at a wide variety of above & below freezing temperatures. While I still think that full-throttle throws out way more 'visible' exhaust than I'd expect, I'm starting to think it's simply the rapid swing in temperature that makes it more 'noticeable' between days.

I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the coolant levels just in case it really is a gasket leak, but the reservoir continues to remain unchanged.

Final words: I love this car. My kids love this car. My wife loves this car. My colleagues call 'shotgun' to ensure they ride in this car for lunches. And it's 13 years old. Man I'm going to miss it when it's gone...

Well done Lexus, Well done...
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (01-15-20)