LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer says has to lift engine out to get at spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 07:19 AM
scutch
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by williamb82
Actually, they are not wrong. I have to lift my engine to change the front two plugs on the passenger side. The coils will not come out of the tubes. I suspect the engine mounts are just "squished" from age letting the engine sit lower than it did originally. Im about to go jack the car up on stands now and then loosen the lower mount bolts before I lift it. I am changing the valve cover gaskets as well. I got all of the high pressure fuel pump gaskets and seals, and the o rings for betwen the valve covers and cam caps at the dealer last week so I could do this. What a PITA!.
So it sounds like prying out the seals first with a screwdriver didn't help you pull the coils? from what I've read on this forum that is the way to do it without having to move the engine at all.
Old 12-31-19, 07:27 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

According to the DIY spark plug replacement thread, there is no need to lift the engine. Out of the many who changed the plugs themselves, only one had to loosen or remove one engine mount bolt. I am not a DIYer, and had the plugs replaced at the dealership.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...eplacment.html
Old 12-31-19, 04:18 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by williamb82
Actually, they are not wrong. I have to lift my engine to change the front two plugs on the passenger side. The coils will not come out of the tubes. I suspect the engine mounts are just "squished" from age letting the engine sit lower than it did originally. Im about to go jack the car up on stands now and then loosen the lower mount bolts before I lift it. I am changing the valve cover gaskets as well. I got all of the high pressure fuel pump gaskets and seals, and the o rings for betwen the valve covers and cam caps at the dealer last week so I could do this. What a PITA!.
Exactly
No reputable shop would use a jack and a block of wood and even if they do they won't tell you that they did, they'll say they lifted the engine
Old 01-04-20, 07:49 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by scutch
So it sounds like prying out the seals first with a screwdriver didn't help you pull the coils? from what I've read on this forum that is the way to do it without having to move the engine at all.
No way that would work. I didn't have to pry them anyway, popped out with my finger. I had to jack the engine up about 4in to get them out. This also kind of confirms my suspicion that the motor mounts are the source of the mystery rattle sound at lower speeds. I will find out for sure when I get around to changing them. BTW, I had to jack the engine up to get the front two ignition coils out on the driver side as well. It only takes about 5min to take the nuts off for the lower motor mount bolts, and then jack the engine up btw. Not sure why they tried to add hours to the job.

Last edited by williamb82; 01-04-20 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scutch (01-04-20)