LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying a 2014 Lexus LS460

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 07:36 PM
chrisstone
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying a 2014 Lexus LS460

It is supposed to be delivered to me later this week. I have a ton of questions, but I guess I'd like to know your guys' thoughts, opinions and any recommendations.

Last edited by chrisstone; 12-31-19 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-31-19, 08:11 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 369 Likes on 250 Posts

The wife really likes her '14 and on the few occasions I drive it the experience is fun (although I prefer my LS430). Her is the RWD but being where your are the AWD should suit you fine....

Good luck with your new purchase....
The following users liked this post:
chrisstone (12-31-19)
Old 12-31-19, 08:15 PM
chrisstone
Driver School Candidate

I just ran the VIN, and here are all of the features if this model.

i can't believe it doesn't have remote start!

Old 12-31-19, 08:40 PM
LuxuryCar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations! The LS is a wonderful car, there are so many creature comforts to praise. The lack of remote start, along with weak rear window defroster, and headlamp washers that are turned on by the windshield washers (only when the headlights are on) are the only things I have found to be dissatisfactory.

There is not much to be done about the last two, but for remote-start, there are a few aftermarket options. But all do not have "takeover" which means if you remote start the car, when you open the door it will shut off (for security I presume).

Be sure to use a USB cable for pushing music into the ML (much better sound than Bluetooth), and if you have a DVD throw that into the CD slot to enjoy the 5.1 surround (sound plays while driving but for the video you need to be in park, there are aftermarket solutions for this as well). You can find concerts on DVD that have 5.1 and they can be sublime.

Also, there is a button in the glove box that disables the trunk (for valeting) just FYI.
chrisstone (12-31-19)
Old 12-31-19, 08:45 PM
chrisstone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuxuryCar1

There is not much to be done about the last two, but for remote-start, there are a few aftermarket options. But all do not have "takeover" which means if you remote start the car, when you open the door it will shut off (for security I presume).
thanks! Im excited. I have viper on my tahoe. I really dont wanna carry 2 fobs. Is there a way to get a lexus remote start and alarm to be programmed into one fob with keyless entry and push start? If so, can i buy and use a new fob? I seem to think i saw lexus now has an lcd screen 2 way key fob.
Old 12-31-19, 09:02 PM
LuxuryCar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisstone
thanks! Im excited. I have viper on my tahoe. I really dont wanna carry 2 fobs. Is there a way to get a lexus remote start and alarm to be programmed into one fob with keyless entry and push start? If so, can i buy and use a new fob? I seem to think i saw lexus now has an lcd screen 2 way key fob.
Yes, you can use your original key fob. I don't have a remote start, but from my memory, when the unit is installed you press the lock button 3 times and the car will start if the keyfob is in range. If you use the original keyfob you're range limited to your OEM keyfob range.

I have looked into this kit https://www.12volt.solutions/product...-kit-smart-key because it is completely plug & play (no splicing wires) and it can be upgraded to give you smartphone access (which would eliminate the range issues). However, there are other solutions members here have done. Search "remote start" to see the many discussions.
chrisstone (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20, 06:09 AM
chrisstone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuxuryCar1
Yes, you can use your original key fob. I don't have a remote start, but from my memory, when the unit is installed you press the lock button 3 times and the car will start if the keyfob is in range. If you use the original keyfob you're range limited to your OEM keyfob range.

I have looked into this kit https://www.12volt.solutions/product...-kit-smart-key because it is completely plug & play (no splicing wires) and it can be upgraded to give you smartphone access (which would eliminate the range issues). However, there are other solutions members here have done. Search "remote start" to see the many discussions.
im at a loss what I want to do. I dont think i want to carry around 2 fobs. I may go by the lexus dealer tom and talk to shop/parts to see what options i have. Id really like a modern key fob too.

anyway, im stoked about the car! I cant wait!
Old 01-01-20, 07:41 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I too was surprised that the LS didn't come with remote start. I thought about adding it. However I have found that the combination of the heated seats, heated steering wheel and quick to warm up climate control pretty much makes it a non issue. In the summer the cooled seats and air conditioning also work fast. I live in NE Iowa, no stranger to cold or hot extremes.

chrisstone (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20, 07:44 AM
chrisstone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spudo769
I too was surprised that the LS didn't come with remote start. I thought about adding it. However I have found that the combination of the heated seats, heated steering wheel and quick to warm up climate control pretty much makes it a non issue. In the summer the cooled seats and air conditioning also work fast. I live in NE Iowa, no stranger to cold or hot extremes.
this makes me feel better, actually.
Old 01-01-20, 09:17 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Congrats--you are going to love that car. I have almost the same one ('15 AWD F-sport). The remote start is built into the telemetry system and requires a subscription. i think it's about $140 per year. I love it--the Enform app allows me to remotely lock/unlock, start, as well as to check on the status and location of the car. My favorite part is the car actually emails me if I leave it unlocked or a window not closed all the way.
Old 01-01-20, 09:20 AM
chrisstone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DerrickM
Congrats--you are going to love that car. I have almost the same one ('15 AWD F-sport). The remote start is built into the telemetry system and requires a subscription. i think it's about $140 per year. I love it--the Enform app allows me to remotely lock/unlock, start, as well as to check on the status and location of the car. My favorite part is the car actually emails me if I leave it unlocked or a window not closed all the way.
oh sweet! I use the viper app for my tahoe so i have many features but it does alert me in my windows are down or if i left it unlocked.
Old 01-01-20, 09:23 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Here's the site: https://www.lexus.com/enform/

Priciing is confusing--they offer three different services for $80 each. I think you only need Remote, but I seem to recall when I purchased my last subscriptions I had to buy two for some reason.
Old 01-01-20, 09:34 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickM
Here's the site: https://www.lexus.com/enform/

Priciing is confusing--they offer three different services for $80 each. I think you only need Remote, but I seem to recall when I purchased my last subscriptions I had to buy two for some reason.
Sadly, the remote start feature thru Lexus Enform is not available for 2014 and older LSs. I have a dealer-installed remote start in my car that works with the Lexus key fob but does not work with the smartphone App.
Old 01-01-20, 09:45 AM
AMACK
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

just to be clear...2015 the enform autostart will work with all the other features, correct?

Just pay the yearly subscription fee
Old 01-01-20, 09:50 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by comotiger
Sadly, the remote start feature thru Lexus Enform is not available for 2014 and older LSs.
That's terrible! I did not know that.
chrisstone (01-01-20)

Quick Reply: Buying a 2014 Lexus LS460