LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sticky Material on Interior of 08 Lexus LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 12:50 AM
JP2019
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sticky Material on Interior of 08 Lexus LS 460

Got my 08 Lexus LS 460 about 2 years ago. When I got it, the door panels were in good condition. Didn’t know how bad the interior was going to get due to some bad material that the interior is made of. Struggled a long time to decide what I was going to do with the car because the car seemed ugly to me since the interior had gotten so bad. One day, I just searched up on google Sticky Door Panels LS 460 and came across a forum on this website which explained exactly how my car was. Turned out there were a lot of others with my same issue and they talked about a warranty which Lexus fixes all the ****ed up material on the car. I contacted Sewell Lexus of Dallas and they said my car didn’t qualify. I contacted corporate and they stated it did! I went to Sewell Lexus of Dallas and told them corporate told me to bring the car and they took it in and ordered all the parts that come in this coverage called ZLZ warranty. About a week ago I went for them to install some parts that had came in and my oh my 😍 shes beautiful again. And the best part is that it is all FREEEEE, parts and installation. Later, I got a letter in the mail which explained the ZLZ warranty. If y’all have this same issue, contact your local Lexus dealership! The dash board, console box, glove compartment are also in the ZLZ warranty. I have attached the letter I received which shows all what parts are covered.
BEFORE & AFTER & LETTER

The following 2 users liked this post by JP2019:
Dave144239 (01-04-20), Santa01 (09-30-20)
Old 01-04-20, 07:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Mine is the same, they replaced everything except the ctr console, steering wheel and drivers door because parts are on backorder. But they will be installed when they arrive. It costs about $6,000 in parts and labor per car to do this work. Each door panel is $550ish, dash pad is $800, center console, glove box, knee panel and steering wheel total about $2,000, then Lexus labor at like $200/hr.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-30-20)
Old 01-04-20, 12:54 PM
mrmike987
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up my 2009 LS 460 from the dealer today. Everything the OP stated was also changed on mine. I was told if I had to pay it would be over $12,000. I’ve been waiting for the parts since March of last year. My car was in very bad condition. The armrest on all four door panels was coming off in chunks and I had two long cracks on the dashboard. When I looked at it today I could not believe how many parts they replaced. It was absolutely beautiful.

This warranty has been extended to March 31, 2021. The service consultant I dealt with says he sees many cars come in with the same problem but is not allowed to mention the warranty.

If you have this problem call Lexus corporate number and they will set you up with an account and based on the year and model they will tell you if you’re covered. If you are they will tell you to go to your local Lexus dealer to have it inspected. If you qualify they will order all the parts necessary but it takes a while to get them in.

Santa01 (09-30-20)
Old 01-04-20, 12:58 PM
mrmike987
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JP2019
Got my 08 Lexus LS 460 about 2 years ago. When I got it, the door panels were in good condition. Didn’t know how bad the interior was going to get due to some bad material that the interior is made of. Struggled a long time to decide what I was going to do with the car because the car seemed ugly to me since the interior had gotten so bad. One day, I just searched up on google Sticky Door Panels LS 460 and came across a forum on this website which explained exactly how my car was. Turned out there were a lot of others with my same issue and they talked about a warranty which Lexus fixes all the ****ed up material on the car. I contacted Sewell Lexus of Dallas and they said my car didn’t qualify. I contacted corporate and they stated it did! I went to Sewell Lexus of Dallas and told them corporate told me to bring the car and they took it in and ordered all the parts that come in this coverage called ZLZ warranty. About a week ago I went for them to install some parts that had came in and my oh my 😍 shes beautiful again. And the best part is that it is all FREEEEE, parts and installation. Later, I got a letter in the mail which explained the ZLZ warranty. If y’all have this same issue, contact your local Lexus dealership! The dash board, console box, glove compartment are also in the ZLZ warranty. I have attached the letter I received which shows all what parts are covered.
BEFORE & AFTER & LETTER

Old 01-04-20, 01:10 PM
mrmike987
Driver School Candidate

Read about the recall here. The LS460 is covered from 2007 - 2014

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45764-9999.pdf
Old 01-04-20, 01:40 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Another tread on this how many does this make now?? Anyways still waiting on my parts. Too bad my door panels fall out of this program. My 07 was a early 2006 build. But the arm rest is leather so no issues just the top trim gets tacky even with a good tint job. Hoping for a spring delivery of the new parts.
Old 01-05-20, 10:24 AM
whitLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JP2019
BEFORE & AFTER & LETTER

What is your car’s production date and how many miles do you have? This aggravates me because last year after being told by my local Lexus dealership that my car was covered then it wasn’t and to call Lexus. I called in July and was told my car was not covered. It’s a 2008 with the same issues that are being covered. What’s the number you called? I guess I was too sweet the first time.
Old 01-05-20, 01:28 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

They appear to be totally arbitrary as to which vehicles they will cover and which they won't. I've owned Lexus vehicles since 1992 and they hung me out to dry on my 2007 LS door panels. Go figure.
Old 01-05-20, 01:37 PM
JP2019
Driver School Candidate

production date is 04/08 and I have 119K miles.
What about yours?

Originally Posted by whitLS460
What is your car’s production date and how many miles do you have? This aggravates me because last year after being told by my local Lexus dealership that my car was covered then it wasn’t and to call Lexus. I called in July and was told my car was not covered. It’s a 2008 with the same issues that are being covered. What’s the number you called? I guess I was too sweet the first time.
Old 01-05-20, 02:16 PM
JP2019
Driver School Candidate

I had contacted Lexus Corporate, explained to them my concern and sent them the below images of what my car was looking like at the time. Now it is a total of 9 parts which are going to get replaced and so far I have 6 parts that have been installed. Just waiting on the last 3 which are the console box, glove compartment and right front door panel. I couldn’t even clean my door panels when they would get dirty because as soon as I wiped, a part of the panel would scratch off. Even if I was gentle. And my back door panels got mest up because I have little nieces and nephews who liked to engrave their fingernails into the material ( I guess it felt good to them ) the material felt like play- doh 🙄.

These pictures are before they installed the new parts 🥳

Old 01-05-20, 05:42 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone had any replaced that still look good. I worry my problems will not start until the program has expired. 2011 LS sport, 40K miles, Had windows tinted and garage keep. So not exposed to heat most are.
All mine still look good. But do notice the black interior on the glove box can leave finger prints. And does not seem as black color like it should unless I use a protectant like lexol.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-20, 07:18 AM
whitLS460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
They appear to be totally arbitrary as to which vehicles they will cover and which they won't. I've owned Lexus vehicles since 1992 and they hung me out to dry on my 2007 LS door panels. Go figure.
It's ridiculous. Makes me reconsider buying another one in the future. We are getting ready to sell mine to upgrade to an SUV. I was looking at the RX350 which is obviously not near as nice as the LS but now I'm not so sure. Customer service is crap.
Old 01-06-20, 07:24 AM
whitLS460
Driver School Candidate

@JP2019 I meant to ask "In use date". My production date is 06/08 but my in use date is Sept 21, 2008. I had called in July of 2018 and was told mine would not be covered. At the time I had about 128k miles and had just bought it in May 2018. It now has about 146k miles. I plan to call today and complain. Since I called Lexus Corporate in July, they should have my complaint on file. I'll just have to try my best to argue. Hopefully the fact that I made the complaint prior to my car being out of date, they'll cover it. Fingers crossed. I plan to sell it anyways. New trim panels would definitely bring me more money.

Last edited by whitLS460; 01-06-20 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Tag
Old 01-06-20, 07:26 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by whitLS460
It's ridiculous. Makes me reconsider buying another one in the future. We are getting ready to sell mine to upgrade to an SUV. I was looking at the RX350 which is obviously not near as nice as the LS but now I'm not so sure. Customer service is crap.
Yes I agree. I will look hard at a Genesis next time, they now seem to be better rated depending on who you listen to. My Lexus dealer in Richmond, Va has never been that great as far as service.
And since my first LS in the 90's they have declined in quality.
whitLS460 (01-06-20)
Old 01-06-20, 07:43 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
Has anyone had any replaced that still look good. I worry my problems will not start until the program has expired. 2011 LS sport, 40K miles, Had windows tinted and garage keep. So not exposed to heat most are.
All mine still look good. But do notice the black interior on the glove box can leave finger prints. And does not seem as black color like it should unless I use a protectant like lexol.

Any suggestions?
Yes my advice is to not use any protectant for a while and take it to your dealer and show them the discoloration. I have black interior on my 2010 and my glove box, and center console were discolored (grey) without protectant as well. Seeing the pics in this thread I feel lucky that mine didn't chip like this poster and I live in FL (and previous owner did as well) so my car is constantly exposed to high temp. Prior to the ZLZ program being announced, I actually paid to have my door panels wrapped in vinyl because the discoloration was so bad. So when I took my car in for inspection, all they could see was my dash, center console, and glove box which were all showing various degrees of discoloration.

My entire interior was replaced under the ZLZ program, so hold off on using any type of shine and/or protectant for a couple of months to let it get bad and take it in. Hope you're covered - the difference in the new interior parts is very drastic.

Quick Reply: Sticky Material on Interior of 08 Lexus LS 460