LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Be happy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20, 06:48 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
If you really like it fix it and move on hoping that nothing else major happens. Personally I would get rid of it as long as I did not not have to take a huge hit on the trade in value. I honestly thought that American cars were more reliable than in the past since that's what I see in online articles all the time.
I’ll probably fix it. I do like the truck...injectors aren’t a huge deal if I do them myself, but I expect more out of a new car purchase. If the thing had 100,000 miles it’d be different. So I’ll do this one repair and then keep a close eye on the “next thing”. Because I’m not doing that next thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
Nospinzone (01-14-20), sha4000 (01-13-20)
Old 01-12-20, 09:16 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a 2014 Cadillac CTS... loaded and I loved it. Until the weather got below 60 degrees and then the car would (at idle) shake like a 60's-era muscle car. I could not believe that I'd be sitting at a light and it would be vibrating and shaking sobad.

I dug deep into the forums and finally discovered someone who had the same issue and he said that it was caused by the ECU retarding fuel (to save gas and increase MPG). He had bought the car new and was able to lemon it, but mine was bought used/CPO and the dealer acted like I was nuts.

I REALLY liked that car and REALLY want to like American cars but I have trouble. I ended up trading that in (at a loss) and moved on.
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (01-15-20)
Old 01-13-20, 07:38 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I’ll probably fix it. I do like the truck...injectors aren’t a huge deal if I do them myself, but I expect more out of a new car purchase. If the thing had 100,000 miles it’d be different. So I’ll do this one repair and then keep a close eye on the “next thing”. Because I’m not doing that next thing.
I definitely get where your coming from. I would be upset if my used Lexus had to have a major repair within 2 years and only 44k mile of driving let alone a new new car with only 44k and the issue is not being covered by the warranty. You obviously did your homework before giving up the 460 and know your tolerance limit for dealing with certain repairs so I'm glad your willing to fix the issue and move on.
Old 01-13-20, 12:01 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I wanted to "Be happy" with my 2008 LS460. It was truly an amazing vehicle and aging somewhat gracefully but starting to look dated. I had no issues with it in the 2 1/2 years of ownership. My money spent was restoring it and changing out wear ant tear parts most of which still had some life left. I had some amazing road trips in it with the family.
I decided to sell it before the value started to plummet even further. I got a buyer on Sept 2019 somewhat near my asking price so overall happy with that I got. I didn't want to get into a scenario where I decided to keep it for more 2 years and have the brake actuator fail on me +$3K repair cost + other non diy stuff. Then when the time comes to sell I'd only get 1/2 of what I got in Sept 2019.

My intentions after the sale was to wait and get a 2013+ LS460 for around $25K with around 80K miles but I took an entirely different route. I picked up a 2006 Toyota Camry V6 with 97K miles for $5500 out the door. I've been pleasantly surprised with it so far. It has good performing V6 engine with smooth strong delivery all the way up to 100mph! Very relaxing on highway drives and captures about 80% of the comfort of the LS460. Even my mother commented on how pleasant it rode as a passenger. It is truly the last of the old school Toyota quality and technology. With only one master key given and no remote entry fob, I was able to program a 2nd key and 2 remote entry key fobs for $20 total bought from Amazon! The dealer cut the key for me for free and I simply programmed everything by opening and closing the door and inserting key in ignition! No Bluetooth, back up camera, navigation, parking sensors which I miss. It doesn't even have TPMS! Just true old school driving with nothing that will break the bank to fix. I updated the lights to Philips 6K Hids and led light bulbs all through. No other mods scheduled since it would be silly to mod a 14 yr old Camry. Timing belt is due but I'll wait since it is a non interference engine.
The interior panels seem to be indestructible no sign of wear. Massive trunk with rear seats fold down for extra cargo.
At my age and after 20 years of spending on used luxury cars, I've decided to sacrifice for the next 5 years to save and hopefully get an income property. Once the cash rolls in, I'll then revisit luxury cars again... maybe. I'm trying to shift away from my car addition.

Last edited by JLAWS; 01-14-20 at 09:35 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by JLAWS:
2008GS (01-15-20), All4Lexus (01-16-20), Dave144239 (01-14-20), NotFasty (01-14-20), sha4000 (01-14-20)
Old 01-13-20, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I'm trying to shift away from my car addition.
Life's too short to shift away from things you enjoy and have passion for, IMHO.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
KarlJ828 (01-15-20), Nospinzone (01-14-20)
Old 01-14-20, 10:13 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Life's too short to shift away from things you enjoy and have passion for, IMHO.
I agree pal, but sometimes the things you have passion for may be hindering you from reaching certain goals/accomplishments in life to achieve even a greater happiness. Sometime there is a bit of selfishness giving in to my car hobby. How many of you have as significant other that has said to you "What have you done/bought for the car now?" Then you proceed to justify why you spent the money
A small sacrifice now will hopefully pay off for me later. I have many friends and family that buy nice expensive cars but have a hard time with their finances or don't own a home to park their "nice" vehicle. I have a friend obsessed with cars and bought a Corvette that will be sitting out in an apartment complex rather than in a nice garage.
I've been cycling thru used luxury vehicles every 2 years for nearly 20 yrs. I've used my tax return or bonus to upgrade. I've private sold every car and recouped 80%-90% of what I paid, but I've never really factored in the sales tax, registration, repairs cost, mods ect. And all of that was real money spent that could have been allocated elsewhere. The Camry purchase is hopefully my "break thru" and will help me achieve bigger goals for my family.

I got a little off topic, but yes "Be happy" with what you have. Don't always believe the latest vehicle will be the best vehicle but also don't hold onto something that will be a money pit.

Last edited by JLAWS; 01-14-20 at 10:35 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JLAWS:
All4Lexus (01-16-20), Fit1too (01-15-20), sha4000 (01-15-20), Soldier76 (01-15-20)
Old 01-14-20, 10:50 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Be happy with your LS460. I traded out of mine at 178,000 miles and bought a new truck (2018 Chevy Silverado). I’m at 45,000 miles now and I’ve already had the starter replaced (under warranty) and now the injectors are failing (not covered under warranty). A $2,500 dollar job. 45,000 miles and the thing is misfiring and in need of injectors. Think about that - I drive my LS460 to 178,000 miles and I never once had a check engine light or misfire. Not once. All those years, all those miles, not one single electrical issue.

And GM is awful to deal with. Injectors NOT covered under power train warranty, it’s electrical. This truck shakes and shimmies up and down the highway every single day. Transmission doesn’t know what to do with itself. You think the LS460 has control arm issues or melting interiors? I’d love to have those problems again.

So now I’m watching videos on how to replace injectors on a 2018 5.3 direct injected engine...and pricing out after market injectors, not even two years into ownership. Hold on to your Lexus. Love it. Praise it. You own a car that will give you years and years of reliability and high quality driving experiences.
Great reminder to enjoy what we have. All cars are subject to issues - I just find Toyota and Lexus products have the lowest probability. It's the main thing that keeps me in the family.
Soldier76 (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 07:19 AM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree pal, but sometimes the things you have passion for may be hindering you from reaching certain goals/accomplishments in life to achieve even a greater happiness. Sometime there is a bit of selfishness giving in to my car hobby. How many of you have as significant other that has said to you "What have you done/bought for the car now?" Then you proceed to justify why you spent the money
A small sacrifice now will hopefully pay off for me later. I have many friends and family that buy nice expensive cars but have a hard time with their finances or don't own a home to park their "nice" vehicle. I have a friend obsessed with cars and bought a Corvette that will be sitting out in an apartment complex rather than in a nice garage.
I've been cycling thru used luxury vehicles every 2 years for nearly 20 yrs. I've used my tax return or bonus to upgrade. I've private sold every car and recouped 80%-90% of what I paid, but I've never really factored in the sales tax, registration, repairs cost, mods ect. And all of that was real money spent that could have been allocated elsewhere. The Camry purchase is hopefully my "break thru" and will help me achieve bigger goals for my family.

I got a little off topic, but yes "Be happy" with what you have. Don't always believe the latest vehicle will be the best vehicle but also don't hold onto something that will be a money pit.
I financed 21 cars, leased one, and only owned 4 since 2000. It took me awhile to learn my lesson on squandering money throughout the years. I owned 3 houses (2 currently). I learned I could've done better things with my money instead of buying that many cars. I own a 2013 lexus ls460l, and my wife owns a 2014 Toyota highlander limited. We're gonna drive these vehicles till they give up the ghost (or us first). The next vehicle purchase will be for my 17yo son, and I plan on buying that straight out. I might purchase a pickup truck in the near future though.
JLAWS (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 08:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Why did you go from a flagship luxury sedan to a big pickup truck?
Old 01-15-20, 06:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Why did you go from a flagship luxury sedan to a big pickup truck?
I owned the LS460 for 4-5 years and put 178,000 miles on it, it needed some work and it was starting to burn oil. I needed a pickup - I own rental property and I have hobbies that require a pickup - these new pickups drive so quiet and smooth, that you can commute in them. I like the higher driving position and the truck is very comfortable. I’m averaging 24.5 miles per gallon over the past 45,000 miles (with a V8). So it was time for a change. I do miss the LS though.
Old 01-16-20, 10:47 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I wanted to "Be happy" with my 2008 LS460. It was truly an amazing vehicle and aging somewhat gracefully but starting to look dated. I had no issues with it in the 2 1/2 years of ownership. My money spent was restoring it and changing out wear ant tear parts most of which still had some life left. I had some amazing road trips in it with the family.
I decided to sell it before the value started to plummet even further. I got a buyer on Sept 2019 somewhat near my asking price so overall happy with that I got. I didn't want to get into a scenario where I decided to keep it for more 2 years and have the brake actuator fail on me +$3K repair cost + other non diy stuff. Then when the time comes to sell I'd only get 1/2 of what I got in Sept 2019.

My intentions after the sale was to wait and get a 2013+ LS460 for around $25K with around 80K miles but I took an entirely different route. I picked up a 2006 Toyota Camry V6 with 97K miles for $5500 out the door. I've been pleasantly surprised with it so far. It has good performing V6 engine with smooth strong delivery all the way up to 100mph! Very relaxing on highway drives and captures about 80% of the comfort of the LS460. Even my mother commented on how pleasant it rode as a passenger. It is truly the last of the old school Toyota quality and technology. With only one master key given and no remote entry fob, I was able to program a 2nd key and 2 remote entry key fobs for $20 total bought from Amazon! The dealer cut the key for me for free and I simply programmed everything by opening and closing the door and inserting key in ignition! No Bluetooth, back up camera, navigation, parking sensors which I miss. It doesn't even have TPMS! Just true old school driving with nothing that will break the bank to fix. I updated the lights to Philips 6K Hids and led light bulbs all through. No other mods scheduled since it would be silly to mod a 14 yr old Camry. Timing belt is due but I'll wait since it is a non interference engine.
The interior panels seem to be indestructible no sign of wear. Massive trunk with rear seats fold down for extra cargo.
At my age and after 20 years of spending on used luxury cars, I've decided to sacrifice for the next 5 years to save and hopefully get an income property. Once the cash rolls in, I'll then revisit luxury cars again... maybe. I'm trying to shift away from my car addition.

Thats hard to do. I could sell my ISF, use the equity to pay off my wife’s car, and I just drive my is350. No car payments would be awesome. But I’m too addicted.
Old 01-16-20, 12:39 PM
JLAWS
Racer

I doubt that you generated actual "equity" from a depreciating car but test the sales waters on it. I haven't had a car note for over 15 yrs. I'm trying improve by overall "happiness" from owning cars and focus it on other areas in life. Believe it or not the Camry is satisfying my car itch!
The following 2 users liked this post by JLAWS:
NotFasty (01-16-20), Soldier76 (01-17-20)
Old 01-16-20, 03:47 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

We drove an 89 and a 98 accord coupe both 20 years and 200k miles from new.

solara is a 07 with 170k on it and my 2000 ford truck with 133k we also bought with less than 5k miles on them.

08 Sc 430 with 19k when we got it three years ago.

08 ls460 2 years ago had 54k miles.

new used is my choice. Long term car biz guy long ago.

22 year old giant motorhome with 133k is barely broken in.

buy quality and use it all up. Less expensive.

all cash purchases. Green money cash.

tell the dmv you paid much less. Cheaper plates forever
Old 01-16-20, 04:09 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Dump the GM product and buy a Toyota product. I bought a 1998 RAV4 in Jan of 98 and sold it in March of 2015 with 189,000 miles on it and did not even change a light bulb on it in 17 years. I put around 3,500 miles on it a month and changed the oil once a month for the first 4 years and then shipped it to HI where it sat 8-9 months a year. We only used it 3-4 months a year during the winter while we were living on our sailboat that we keep in HI. I did normal stuff, brakes, oil changes, timing built at 100k and that was it. It's now on the big island somewhere.

Dennis
Sorry, @Doublebase . With what new trucks go for nowadays, I expected much better quality and reliability, especially since domestic brands are so good at truck design. I am truly shocked how soon problems started. It is a good thing you have the background to tackle the repair.

@DJWLDW , I'm going off topic here... we just came back from a lovely stay in Maui. It never occurred to me to buy and live on a docked boat at one of the islands. Seems like a great idea! Surely that must be much cheaper than buying one of the $700K-800K new (small) vacation homes. I suppose you can always rent out the home on AirBnB too to cover mortgage. Do you just park the car at the marina? Have you sailed your boat from HI to the mainland?
Old 01-17-20, 07:51 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 337 Posts

FatherTo1

Yes we just left the Rav4 at the Marina. It was on Pearl Harbor Navy Base so it was fairly safe and our son was down at the marina 3-4 times a week working on or sailing the boat so he keep an eye on it for us and started it once a week or so. . We sailed from Seattle, WA via Eureka, CA to Honolulu, HI. 17 days 6 hours from Eureka to Honolulu.

Dennis

Quick Reply: Be happy