LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Audio / Sound System Schematics? Wiring? *HOW* to do aftermarket. Does/Don'ts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 12:52 AM
MarqueKill
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio / Sound System Schematics? Wiring? *HOW* to do aftermarket. Does/Don'ts

Hello!
Sorry for the vague title. After searching around, it seems that many threads in regards to audio for the LS 4th gen are more about weather one should or shouldn't get the ML system. Or if they should get aftermarket or not. Out of curiousity, I am seeking details on how both (ML and non ML) systems are wired. To provide an example of what I am thinking:

Currently I do not have an LS, but plan on buying one in November sometime. I have a pretty nice aftermarket stereo in my truck (full active 3 way fronts). I have not made up my mind if I'd swap it in the LS or not, because the first step is to understand whats inolved, and, is it worth it?. I reached out to one audio company who told me that the ML sound system has a digital out. So, well, if thats true, I could feed that to my DSP, to my amp, to my speakers. Bam! (quick snap shot there) But, before I get carried away with ideas, set any goals, etc, I want to understand how the wiring works. If the ML has it's own factory DSP, and takes a digital signal like USB, Coax, Optical, thats a simple swap. But, we all know it won't be "simple". The DSP may have propriotary software too, that keeps car chimes and stuff at normal volume despite music volume, just as an example.

Where can I learn about the headunit? (wiring, output/inputs) I would never replace it (been down this road before). But I may prefer my DSP/AMP/Speakers over what my LS comes with, just can't find any specific data that lays out what would be involved in installing my system into the LS ML or non ML. (and maybe I don't do it). If I can't get a clean digital signal to my DSP with the factory head unit, I'm already losing interest because that would likely be a waste of time.

Have any of you done expenstive audio work on the LS? Maybe you have a thread/build here I missed?

I have had shops in the past do work, and have had a lot of issues. I think it's a dying industry. It's time for me to venture out and do the work my self. And if I can't do it, well, I'll just stick with stock. And at least if I mess something up, I just take it out and move on, and there won't be any high labor charges, etc.

Advice/thoughts/sources?

Note: No endgame here, just trying to learn about what I could do on my own, but need sources to walk me through what can or/and can't be done with both the ML and non ML systems. I don't want to just pull stuff out, I am inexperienced with car audio, and need to learn a great deal before even considering.

Thanks everone!

Daniel
Old 01-25-20, 04:27 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

this might not be much help or at all, but if you go to lexuspartsnow.com and enter a model year etc, you will see a bunch of parts for headunits look for the one with ML for example then google the part number on ebay or whatever will get you some photos of the back of the unit which I think will show you what outs and connections it has.
Old 01-25-20, 08:29 AM
unabee
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't want to be that guy that says "did you type 'ls460 wiring diagram' into Google?"

But instead, being that I'm such a great person, I went ahead and did the hard work for you

https://cardiagn.com/lexus-ls-460-l-...ring-diagrams/
Old 01-25-20, 08:37 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Some of the guys who have threads in the build section have done a lot to their audio systems. You might have better luck posting in their thread and asking them directly.