LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2016 ls460 noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 08:59 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So now you need to take that to Lexus and get them to cover the repair.
I'm thinking this is similar to the infamous control arm issue that I had on my (and thousands of others) 2010 LS and was repaired under warranty. I thought all those bad parts were no longer being put in LS cars?
Old 02-15-20, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

The newer control arms are better, but the design of the suspension puts so much pressure on the arms they’re still going to be a wear item...as per my mechanic.
Old 02-15-20, 09:01 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I'm thinking this is similar to the infamous control arm issue that I had on my (and thousands of others) 2010 LS and was repaired under warranty. I thought all those bad parts were no longer being put in LS cars?
aparently they still do. The sad part is the lexus tech wasnt able or didnt see it because there wasnt any codes detected.
Old 02-15-20, 09:02 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

how did you finally get lexus to replace it?
Old 02-15-20, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Dealer techs are great at doing scheduled maintenance, but they are not as good at troubleshooting and diagnosing as a mechanics who spends more time doing that sort of thing.
Old 02-15-20, 09:09 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdang0118
how did you finally get lexus to replace it?
I had just purchased the car as CPO the month before. I was able to describe the noise as a clunk in my front end when hitting the brakes hard. I also told them I had an independent mechanic confirm it. I also told them I was a member of Club Lexus and that it was a know issue discussed by many members. They know about our forum and how we share and help one another.
Old 02-15-20, 09:10 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Dealer techs are great at doing scheduled maintenance, but they are not as good at troubleshooting and diagnosing as a mechanics who spends more time doing that sort of thing.

i figured that. Thats why i went to firestone and paid to have it checked out. Cant be driving an ls around with all those issues
Old 02-15-20, 09:12 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdang0118
i figured that. Thats why i went to firestone and paid to have it checked out. Cant be driving an ls around with all those issues
Ha funny coincidence that Firestone was my independent mechanic who spotted it as well.
Old 02-15-20, 09:15 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

Ha funny coincidence that Firestone was my independent mechanic who spotted it as well.
awesome tips. I will borrow your tips when i return tuesday and drop off my car again.

firestone did find the brake issue, but all they said about the whining noise might be the alternator failing because there is a leak in the coolant hose. I just hope this time lexus will repair everything. Im tired of fighting them about these issues.
Old 02-16-20, 12:00 PM
TXLS430
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Actuator / Control arms

Jdang, do not take NO for an answer. that clunking sound I heard on your recording was the same on my 2013 CPO LS460 with 44,000 miles.. I repeat do not take NO for an answer. It too me a year to get the dealership to acknowledge the noise was not normal. At first they claimed control arms, which they fixed for $5K on their nickel (love CPO and extended warranty). That didn't fix the issue. They constantly repeated it was normal. I called BS as I went and drove a ls460 on their lot and one at another dealer just to make sure I was not losing my mind. I am not losing my mind, those other LS's didn't clunk. Went back to dealership, had service adviser, mechanic who replaced control arms, and some senior diagnostic guy sit in the car and we all heard the clunk and I had them acknowledge that the clunk was not normal. I then took my loaner and left them in the car to resolve. Days later they Lexus TS group says try the actuator....BINGO, that fixed the issue....clunk gone and I didn't have to pay $2K to replace (love that CPO and extended warranty).
Old 02-16-20, 12:06 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TXLS430
Jdang, do not take NO for an answer. that clunking sound I heard on your recording was the same on my 2013 CPO LS460 with 44,000 miles.. I repeat do not take NO for an answer. It too me a year to get the dealership to acknowledge the noise was not normal. At first they claimed control arms, which they fixed for $5K on their nickel (love CPO and extended warranty). That didn't fix the issue. They constantly repeated it was normal. I called BS as I went and drove a ls460 on their lot and one at another dealer just to make sure I was not losing my mind. I am not losing my mind, those other LS's didn't clunk. Went back to dealership, had service adviser, mechanic who replaced control arms, and some senior diagnostic guy sit in the car and we all heard the clunk and I had them acknowledge that the clunk was not normal. I then took my loaner and left them in the car to resolve. Days later they Lexus TS group says try the actuator....BINGO, that fixed the issue....clunk gone and I didn't have to pay $2K to replace (love that CPO and extended warranty).

trust me i wont. They've said it’s normal once before and i have proved to them that it wasn’t. I will take it up to lexus themselves if i have to. I had both the service manager and service director sat in my car and told me that it was normal. Even my dads beat up 1992 corolla dont even make that clunking noise.
i will be on them to get rid of that and the whining noise that they said it is “ normal” too.

Last edited by jdang0118; 02-16-20 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 12:25 PM
TXLS430
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If they say it is normal, try and find another ls on the lot and drive it. That usually stops the nonsense about normal. Good luck.
Old 02-16-20, 12:27 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

If they say it is normal, try and find another ls on the lot and drive it. That usually stops the nonsense about normal. Good luck.
thanks for the tips. Ill keep you guys posted when i have a result
Old 02-18-20, 02:14 PM
jdang0118
Pit Crew

i took it to an independent lexus repair facility and they confirmed it is the control arms. Lexus is telling me that they cant fix it because the bushings are fine. Anyone got any advice ?
Old 02-18-20, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If they’re making noises, they aren’t fine. Have you tried taking it to another Lexus dealer?

Quick Reply: 2016 ls460 noises