LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A money pit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The car is 13 years old...no company is going to warranty a car that is that old and multiple owners in, its a big bonus that they're willing to step up on the interior material issue. The state of repair a vehicle is when you buy it that old has a lot to do with how trouble free you will find it. If things have been done over the years as they needed to be done, you won't have a situation where you have to take care of this stuff all at once.

The potential issues are well documented, one shouldn't buy one of the earliest examples of this car, one of the oldest ones you can buy, and then be surprised when the well documented potential issues happen to them.

Like I said before, look at what 13 year old S Class or 7 Series owners deal with.
Old 02-13-20, 10:22 AM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The car is 13 years old...no company is going to warranty a car that is that old and multiple owners in, its a big bonus that they're willing to step up on the interior material issue. The state of repair a vehicle is when you buy it that old has a lot to do with how trouble free you will find it. If things have been done over the years as they needed to be done, you won't have a situation where you have to take care of this stuff all at once.

The potential issues are well documented, one shouldn't buy one of the earliest examples of this car, one of the oldest ones you can buy, and then be surprised when the well documented potential issues happen to them.

Like I said before, look at what 13 year old S Class or 7 Series owners deal with.
I bought a Lexus so I hopefully don't have to compare how my Lexus and an old German car are similar in their issues.
Old 02-13-20, 11:13 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

I like driving my 08 ls460 I have stockpiled the parts the car will need.

at 100k will replace the aftermarket windshîeld with an oem one for the better infrared and uv rejection and to match the ac’s calibration better(car dash gets hot in summer).

i found a unworn used steering wheel to swap my worn leather with another oem one.

bought a new oem center console cover. New drivers seat bottom foam(oem)

replace both front seats leather bottom seat cushions($600) at the same time.

new kyb gas adjust shocks(stiffer dampening).

replace front end parts. My bushings are worn and makes noise.

at 92k now. 20k per year use.

Already put akebono ceramic brakes on car.

i found a full set of 19” 74196 rims and had them re chrome plated and fixed the curb damage. Put away until the 18” tires wear out. Three years or so.

i bought the car 22 months ago for $18,750 with 54k miles.

fixed the right front door wind noise. Inner rubber molding bent over. $500 at dealer.

plugs, trans back flush, ac recharge.

a “keeper” car. Want to go 300k plus.

big car. I am a 6’2” 260 pound guy. My size.

The following users liked this post:
cochiseg (02-13-20)
Old 02-13-20, 11:29 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't see how your car is a POS based on your description. The interior parts issue and control arm issues are well documented. If you have a second control arm failure, did you use aftermarket arms or try and press in new bushings? As you said, in later years they changed the compound...and you can buy those newer arms with the better compound. How long replacement arms last too depends on whether or not they were properly installed, did the mechanic pre-load the suspension etc.

The interior issues should have been readily apparent when you purchased the car, since its "new to you". And...Lexus will replace the interior free of charge.

This is incorrect. Lexus has a service campaign to replace these interior parts free of charge.

So you have the well documented interior parts failure, which Lexus will replace at no cost to you and would have been clear before you purchased the car, control arm failures which are well documented, and an ML sub failure on a 13 year old car and that makes it a POS? Check out a MB or BMW forum lol.

At 440k miles your GS would have needed 5 timing belt replacements at a dealer cost of $6,000. And no way its on the original suspension unless its totally wrung out. Older models had their issues too, starters on the LS400 and LS430, leaking PS pumps that fouled alternators...

Its all relative. The issue here is your expectations arent realistic.

The issues are well documented because it is a POS, and a very large percentage of the owners have the issues. If it wasn't a POS, these issues would not exist. These issues should not be common on a car that cost $80k new. How some of you seem OK with this baffles me. I dont care if you are a billionaire, this should **** you off.

And no, Lexus will not replace the interior pieces for me. A previous owner had a dealer put them on the waiting list for all parts, and it is documented when they pull my vin up. All they replaced was the dash and door panels and were waiting for the other pieces to arrive that are supposedly on "back order", but yet I can order them and have them in a few days if I pay for them myself., so the other items had not been replaced. When I went to my local Lexus dealer to ask them to update the file to contact me when the parts come in instead of the previous owner they were doing this for, they refused and said that I would need to pay for replacement. The parts alone cost almost $4k at my friends cost, and he is an employee there. The fact is, they know it was bad construction and materials, and should be a recall, but it is not, so they are not obligated to replace the parts at their cost, even though it is their fault they are falling apart and need replacing in the first place.

And no, just the ML sub failure itself doesnt make it a POS. The combined KNOWN issues with the car makes it a POS. Suspension, interior, brake actuator, sound system, etc... Too many KNOWN issues that Lexus will not own up to.

Yes, my GS300 has needed many timing belt changes. I changed it when I bought the car, and about every 85,000ish miles since. I have changed the valve stem seals twice as well, most recently at 427k miles when I last changed the timing belt, front seals, valve cover gasket, Timing belt tensioner and idler pulley, plugs, etc... I have no issues with normal maintenance items at all. Never have. And I have never paid a dealer to fix anything for me. I did pay them to program a spare key for me, but that is it. I prefer to know the work was done correctly, so I have always done it myself. Timing belt, with front seals, tensioner, and pulley for the 2jzge is ~$100 shipped total. Takes only about 2 hours or so to do the work. Being I drove the car 26-30k miles a year, I only had to do it once every 3-3.5 years. Not bad at all. Ive done it multiple times on my GS, and many times between my multiple Supras over the years. The GS suspension had worn out bushings when I got the car back in 2012. I changed ALL of the lower bushings then. I have not had to touch them since. I do not have any thuds, or rattles over any bumps etc... Car handles great. I did change the rear struts when I changed the upper rear control arms about 5-6 months ago, but when the old ones came off, they were fine and not leaking at all, and I put about 200K miles on the car myself and never changed them, and they were not new when I got the car.

This assumption that things are supposed to wear out quickly is just flat out wrong. Just because a car is 13 years old, does not mean that it is OK for things that shouldn't be bad, to be bad. I constantly get complimented about the car because it looks new aside from the bad interior panels I have. Air suspension works fine, though I believe there is a slight leak at a connection for the rear passenger side strut as it will drop an inch or so if I let the car sit over the whole weekend without driving it, but after I start the car, it airs back up after a couple min and never exhibits any issues. I know multiple people say it goes bad first, but I don't believe that, and think it likely is the strut that is switched to the air down solenoid when the car is off, and maybe the solenoid seat is leaking with age. I will dig into that eventually, but I am not even mad about that, as it is such a slow leak, and likely has a rubber seat that can be replaced to resolve it cheaply, and I wouldn't expect a rubber seal to last 13 years, so "maintenance".

I'm not even mad that he motor mounts need changed as that is likely due to the previous owner not changing the valve cover gaskets when they first started leaking, so oil has been dripping on them. Though I am sure the reason the leak wasn't fixed is because of the crazy amount of work involved to change them, and the price the dealer charges. I changed them myself so I am well aware of what is involved to do the job. Did both sides by myself, including plugs and oil change etc.. in less than 7 hours, including multiple breaks, and spent about 1.5 hours getting the rusted bolts out that hold the batter tray in as it doesn't have any drain holes, so held water on them (Another bad design point). I wanted to be sure I could install a new battery tray properly when I order it. I had to break the old one to get it out for access to the valve covers. I didn't screw the paint up to cause any rust starting points either, so it took some doing. All the bolts were basically round domes like a carriage bolt. In the end, I was able to get a groove in them with an air chisel and after the PB blaster had time to work as I sprayed it on first before getting the grooves in, I was able to get them out. Not fun, but hey, it had to be done.

BTW, I believe the motor mounts can be changed without taking the motor out, or dropping the cross member, or removing the exhaust manifolds, and I will post a how to on this as well when I get around to changing them. Likely will do this after I rebuild the engine in my 4 wheeler.

The way things are designed on this car, you can tell they did it to make you bring it to the dealer. For example, to change the radiator. They could have easily made this extremely simple, but no, you have to remove the lower engine cover, the upper covers, intake, upper radiator support, remove the fan assembly from the radiator, unbolt the ac condenser from the radiator, disconnect all fo the hoses, remove the overflow, etc... Fine, wasnt fun, but I got it done, and replaced some missing fasteners for the lower cover in the process.

Have you noticed all of the things that need to be removed in order to even add engine coolant to the radiator overflow? You literally have to pull the intake pipe that goes to the air boxes. They could have designed that overflow to put the cap another inch or 2 over towards the passenger side for easy access, but no, it is partially covered by the intake. Ridiculous!

Last edited by williamb82; 02-13-20 at 12:06 PM.
burgdorf (02-13-20)
Old 02-13-20, 11:30 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I would like to draw everyone's attention to Exhibit A - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...0k-plus-4.html

Highest Mileage LS460 (300k plus!)

Scroll towards end of the thread to read about a 400K+ miles 2007 LS460.
  • No brake actuator failure. That means it is not an imminent failure to worry about. It may or may not happen and you can't predict when. Just sit back and enjoy the car.
  • Suspension was changed every 100K so that one looks like a predictable expense but still not too expensive (aftermarket) considering it is about every 100K miles.
  • That car used even Walmart oil 8-10k miles. Use whatever you want but it won't matter as long as you keep changing it.
  • Oil consumption appears to be a common known issue but it can be resolved by just keeping an eye and topping it off.
  • 2013+ doesn't have melting armrests. Even previous ones mostly got free replacements. They can be leather wrapped for cheap if it still bothers.
  • Spark plug changes every 100K miles. Lexus has it marked for 60K but I feel it may not be necessary that frequently.
  • Other seals and stuff can happen to any car. All cars need brakes. Tires will be expensive and will go fo less miles. Everyone should now that going in.
All in all I think LS460 is still a great value. If my car was to go 400K miles with these expenses, I will be very happy. I don't think I will ever need that many miles anyways. lol.

I am not defending the known problems with LS460 but it is a reasonable price to pay for driving top of the line Luxury sedan and it is way less than its german counterparts.
Will someone please sticky this somewhere!!!! It's ok to have complaints when when the issue is well documented but I find it unacceptable to them call the car a POS and not recommend it at ALL. for years Lexus was tops in reliability while all the other car makers were pumping out subpar vehicles and relying on their pedigree. Ppl were still buying those cars until they had a better option which Lexus presented them with but guess what? Toyota/ Lexus is s big corporation just like the others and it's all about profits. ALL companies want to make the most out of their investments so they start to cut costs in certain areas.

The only real issues I see were there interior where I believe Lexus sued the manufacturer for providing the materials for certain vehicle. So while it could be called unacceptable I don't believe they intentionally provided those materials knowingly. Plus ALL cars don't have this problem and if your car does and falls within the time frame you can get them all replaced. I know that's not acceptable to ppl especially if you have to wait a long time but it's an option. They also could have used better bushing material in the control arms and I would gladly place that in them but my control arms lasted over 100k before I changed them. The lower were torn but the uppers were still good but the ball joints had too much okay. How long are control arms supposed to last anyway??? I've never changed them on my 400 and I'm sure they are work out but I have no years that I can see when the tires are off. I don't know what makes the brake actuator go bad but that's not a imminent failure in ALL cars and send to be the most expensive of the problems because you have to buy the OEM part and then get it installed. If I honestly felt like any of these issues were a big problem I would not purchase an LS and I honestly can't say that my 400 or 430 was a better vehicle. My position is based on the way I drive. I like a comfy couch that moves effortlessly, is imposing when I line up next to other cars and when I got the gas I'm gone. Plus I don't EVER worry about being stuck in the side of the highway. The 400 and 430 fits those requirements also but the difference for me is the torque and much more modern look even if it is over a decade old.
Old 02-13-20, 11:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by williamb82
The issues are well documented because it is a POS, and a very large percentage of the owners have the issues. If it wasn't a POS, these issues would not exist. These issues should not be common on a car that cost $80k new. How some of you seem OK with this baffles me. I dont care if you are a billionaire, this should **** you off.
Lexus will replace your dash for free despite its age. What more do you expect them to do? The materials they used have an issue, they changed the material and are replacing the parts in the cars affected.

Just because it’s a Lexus doesn’t mean it will be perfect forever. Every vehicle has issues, Lexus vehicles included.

if you want an issue free car you should buy a much newer car. Complaining about what the car cost new means nothing, you paid dramatically less than that over a decade later. If you wanted an as new car pony up and buy one new.
Old 02-13-20, 11:45 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

You seem to believe that we are ok with it and are making excuses. I assure you that I am not making excuses but what I am saying is that it is what it is and if that is not something that you can deal with why are you still driving a 460? You can get rid of it and drive that GS for many more years. Your not just complaining about the issues you have had your outright bashing the car in a 460 forum. All the feedback has been positive and even acknowledge the points you made but you still won't accept any of it. Every forum on this site has threads like this one and there are always a couple of ppl usually from one of the other forums who has bought their first LS, GS, ES, IS, xxxx and are disappointed which is their right but then they feel they need to keep proving their point over and over again to what end I do not know.

The 460 is no more of a money pit than any of the other Lexus models but the difference is that sometimes it costs a WHOLE lot more to maintain than the other models which is just a fact without even getting into some of the quality issues. I can't compare it to other flagship models of other carmakers because I've only drive an LS for the last 20 years but I know that NO LS has ever let me down and I don't have endless cash to keep fixing things.

Last edited by sha4000; 02-13-20 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-13-20, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The bottom line is, no issues that are well documented with the car do not make me angry. When my LS400 needed the well documented starter replacement for $1,500 it didn’t make me angry, the car had 160k miles on it.

Like I said, every car has common issues. You understand the common issues before you choose to buy a certain car.

YOUR LS460 may be a POS, you bought an old early one that had deferred maintenance. That doesn’t mean the LS460 as a model is a POS or that the ones most people drive are.
Old 02-13-20, 02:52 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The LS460 is not worth it, and their values continue to drop drastically which is indicative of the market and how the market as a whole feels about the used value for an LS460.
And side note the brake actuator on my LS460 failed literally one month passed the 10yr “warranty enhancement” program for the brake actuator. Lexus did not support with one dime for the replacement, even though they know the design is faulty.
Case in point there should have been a safety recall and not a warranty enhancement program as when the actuator fails all safety mechanisms controlling the brakes are made inoperable. You go back to straight brakes.
All the die hard LS460 fans continue to excuse the short comings of the LS460 and chock them up to “maintenance items”.
The interior, control arms, motor mounts, starter, brake actuator are not and should never be considered regular maintenance items on a car with less than 150k miles and don’t forget the problems with the catalytic converters smelling like rotten eggs and coming into the cab of the car, I’m sure those fumes are not good for you to breath in.
No matter how the car has been cared for or driven from new these parts should not fail at the rate they do.
Lexus continues to skate by proposed lawsuits and safety recalls by issuing their “warranty enhancement” programs and the die hard Lexus fans continue to praise them for providing this service! The company should have addressed these issues correctly in the beginning by issuing recalls as they know and admit designs were not correct. Instead the warranty enhancement programs buy the company more time and ultimately I can assure you cost them less money.
The bottom line is the all mighty dollar is the top priority for any for profit business, Lexus/Toyota have gained the trust of many consumers, they know they must do something to save their reputation, the best cost/reward analysis they could come up with is their warranty enhancement programs that limit them for ten years and thus removed them from needing to offer a recall and gives customer this false impression that they care, if you all are too gullible to understand a company will say and do anything to continue building profits at our expense please let me sell you my used LS460 and I promise you will have a great car, the greatest car ever built! .
NOT!
I already dumped it as a used trade in and that was the happiest day I owned the car when I traded it in and wiped the sweat from my brow thinking about the next part that will fail. Lexus is a reliable luxury brand but they have a lot of work to do if the LS is their flagship car. I still drive a Lexus, a GX470, the reliability is stellar but the GX was still built in Japan, LS460 was not in 2009 maybe that’s the difference. I’m not sure but I will never waste my money on an LS460 no matter how perfect or what the deal is, they just aren’t worth it.
williamb82 (02-14-20)
Old 02-13-20, 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My LS460 is awesome. Every car depreciates, flagship luxury sedans especially. It’s not about not recognizing the issues, it’s about understanding that issues are part of purchasing any vehicle, especially complex luxury sedans that are 10+ years old.

If you want a less complex car that is going to be totally trouble free, you should buy a much cheaper much newer car. You won’t have a car of the same caliber however. If that’s “not worth it” to you then that’s fine.

But expecting any expensive luxury car to be totally problem free at 10+ years old and 100k+ miles is not a reasonable expectation. If you want a car like this, and you want to pay $15,000 for it, then you need to expect to pay for some repairs.

And the LS460 was made in Japan, LS has always been made in Japan and still is.
Caflashbob (02-13-20)
Old 02-13-20, 05:01 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Good for you and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the GX. I hope that you don't actually believe that we believe Lexus CARES about us. That would be laughable. Just because we all have an opinion does not make it fact. I would think that if anyone felt so strongly as you and some others feel that you would not even drive a Lexus vehicle and give them the free publicity because if they are going to build their flagship so poorly that all the other vehicles in the lineup don't stand a chance. Here it is in a nutshell, in the 20 years that I have driven an LS up and down the east coast from Vermont to Georgia I have NEVER seen a LS broken down on the side of the road. That's not to say it does not happen but I have not personally seen it. I'm not a fan of Lexus I'm a fan of MYSELF and the hard earned dollars I make so I choose to spend them wisely. I do lots of research when I'm shopping for anything so I can make the best decision so if something happens I'm not surprised. That's why I chose the LS 460 over the 550 and 750. I don't buy cars new and most likely never will because the depreciation is so drastic after a couple of years.
Old 02-13-20, 05:05 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Yes, the valve cover gaskets is maintenance, as were the brake pad springs etc.., I have no problem there. Radiator needed replaced whether I broke it or not. ****ty plastic end tanks, and the top one had already turned brown. Ive had to replace the radiator on my 440k mile GS300 a couple times due to the plastic becoming brittle with age.. The top end tank on my LS460L was brittle, and leaking in spots I couldn't see until removed, so glad I caught it then before it ever overheated. Either way, I did break the overflow nipple by barely bumping it with my arm when pulling the old belt off. If it had been new, it wouldn't have broken. Its just a crap design that all MFG's currently use to maximize profits.

My LS currently has ~94k on the odometer, and this is at least the SECOND time the control arms have been replaced, That is absurd. Also, the parts cost was MUCH higher as the high pressure fuel pump gaskets and seals as well as the VVTI seals etc.., are dealer only items, and need to be changed when the valve cover gaskets are replaced. I changed the plugs at the same time assuming they likely had never been replaced, and I was right. Again, that was maintenance, no big deal. The main issue I have is the interior. It is total BS that the interior started falling apart on a car of this age. Also, the control arm bushings should not be failing at the rate they are. It is a simple fact of poor engineering. This is why in later years they changed the bushing compound. They KNOW they screwed up but will never admit it. They also changed the way the interior panels are made, and the material they are made from (they admitted this to me in person at the dealer), which also proves they KNOW they screwed up, but again, will not issue a recall. Just because the targeted consumers for these cars can afford these ridiculous repairs,does not mean it is OK for them to be needed!

Also, the way the ML sub fails is ridiculous. Sure, it is an easy 5min fix, and very cheap to repair yourself. I posted the write up myself when I repaired mine, but the fact that it even needs done, or that they charge people $700 for a new speaker, and god knows how much to install it, is ridiculous. I put 500 watts RMS to the MB Quart 12in sub(rated for 350 watts RMS max) I put in the stock location on my GS, with a box built and bolted to the underside of the dash on top of the gas tank. It has been in use since 2012, and I have never had an issue with the tinsel leads failing. All of the other speakers in the car are the factory pioneer units and sound great as my head unit has high pass filters enabled for the front and rear speakers on the built in amp of the head unit. Even the 93 LS400 I had before my GS, all of the factory speakers worked fine, but I read on the forums here where tons of people have issues with the ML speakers failing, as well as the amp itself etc... I didn't do as much research as I should have before buying this car because all of the Lexus's and Toyota's I have had in the past have been such excellent vehicles, so assumed that any newer Lexus model I picked up would be made to equal quality. Obviously that is not the case.
You have to understand that the front suspension puts the strain on the control arm bushings, mostly the uppers. It also takes the strain off of the ball joint and tie rods...you almost NEVER hear, or will have to replace inner or outer tie rods, or ball joints. It’s a trade off. And upper control arms are what will fail...they are an EASY fix. A 45 minute job. You can literally buy these things for $30 a piece aftermarket. Yes, you may have to replace them every 50,000 miles, but they are so ridiculously easy to do, that it’s almost like general maintenance on these cars.

I didn’t have any issues with my interior (except for one arm rest). So it does suck if your interior is falling apart. I considered getting my arm rests covered...think it was $200-$300. Never did it.

They're pretty damn reliable cars compared to most stuff that’s out there, especially compared to high end luxury cars. The transmissions are bulletproof. The engines are excellent. I drove mine 178,000 miles without one single check engine light. Not one. All the electrical on these cars and not one single electrical issue. Never seen something like that before.

But the parts are expensive on these cars. They are. And I think when you’re dealing with a 13 year old car, things are definitely going to happen. Hell, I’m driving a 2018 Chevy Silverado and the thing already feels like it’s falling apart. I KNOW the transmission will fail right when it is out of power train warranty. Forums are full of complaints. And the engines are prone to lifter failure. I’ve already had one check engine light (misfire) and I’ve already had the thing towed from my driveway once (starter). I have 45,000 miles on it now. Three people I know have had their starters fail in the past two weeks (at least mine decided to fail over the summer, instead of the winter). I spent $45,000 on a truck that shakes and shimmies down the highway and feels as if the transmission doesn’t know what the hell its supposed to do. If Lexus made a pickup truck, I’d wait in line to get one.
Old 02-13-20, 07:17 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by burgdorf
The LS460 is not worth it, and their values continue to drop drastically which is indicative of the market and how the market as a whole feels about the used value for an LS460.
And side note the brake actuator on my LS460 failed literally one month passed the 10yr “warranty enhancement” program for the brake actuator. Lexus did not support with one dime for the replacement, even though they know the design is faulty.
Case in point there should have been a safety recall and not a warranty enhancement program as when the actuator fails all safety mechanisms controlling the brakes are made inoperable. You go back to straight brakes.
All the die hard LS460 fans continue to excuse the short comings of the LS460 and chock them up to “maintenance items”.
The interior, control arms, motor mounts, starter, brake actuator are not and should never be considered regular maintenance items on a car with less than 150k miles and don’t forget the problems with the catalytic converters smelling like rotten eggs and coming into the cab of the car, I’m sure those fumes are not good for you to breath in.
No matter how the car has been cared for or driven from new these parts should not fail at the rate they do.
Lexus continues to skate by proposed lawsuits and safety recalls by issuing their “warranty enhancement” programs and the die hard Lexus fans continue to praise them for providing this service! The company should have addressed these issues correctly in the beginning by issuing recalls as they know and admit designs were not correct. Instead the warranty enhancement programs buy the company more time and ultimately I can assure you cost them less money.
The bottom line is the all mighty dollar is the top priority for any for profit business, Lexus/Toyota have gained the trust of many consumers, they know they must do something to save their reputation, the best cost/reward analysis they could come up with is their warranty enhancement programs that limit them for ten years and thus removed them from needing to offer a recall and gives customer this false impression that they care, if you all are too gullible to understand a company will say and do anything to continue building profits at our expense please let me sell you my used LS460 and I promise you will have a great car, the greatest car ever built! .
NOT!
I already dumped it as a used trade in and that was the happiest day I owned the car when I traded it in and wiped the sweat from my brow thinking about the next part that will fail. Lexus is a reliable luxury brand but they have a lot of work to do if the LS is their flagship car. I still drive a Lexus, a GX470, the reliability is stellar but the GX was still built in Japan, LS460 was not in 2009 maybe that’s the difference. I’m not sure but I will never waste my money on an LS460 no matter how perfect or what the deal is, they just aren’t worth it.
Do you have any information to backup your claim of where LS was built?

I checked Wikipedia and found the following. Not that Wikipedia can't have errors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS
Since the start of production, each generation of the Lexus LS has been manufactured in the Japanese city of Tahara, Aichi.
Old 02-13-20, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LS has always been built at the Tahara plant in Japan.

All you have to do is look at your cars VIN, all LS VINs start with J. J for Japan.
Old 02-14-20, 11:43 AM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
The VIN contradicts your statement on its place of build. Please do research before making baseless claims.

As was said, this is a complex vehicle with multiple points of failure due to the increased complexity. There is no breaking that rule. The LS430 has simpler suspension and fewer parts, yet it has its own problems: mirrors, door actuators, steering wheel motor. These are no infallible vehicles.
baseless or not the car still sucks.
I apologize for my misunderstanding, apparently the only vehicle produced by Lexus in canada is the RX and from what I read their factory thresholds are less stringent than in Japan factories.
Anyway you guys are crazy over a heap of metal that ain’t worth it period end of story, I didn’t create this post called money pit, another CL member did, I just chimed in like the rest. The car has WAY to many KNOWN problems to be in the same league as previous Lexus models. To each is own, seems like a lot of you like shelling out money for your own self righteous feelings, more power to you.

Quick Reply: A money pit