LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A money pit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 05:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
This^^^. It simply blows my mind how little people seem to know about these cars, and this^^ is exhibit “A” right here. $700 for an O2 sensor does NOT mean the engine needs to come out. Lol. Independent shops - at least some of them - will not touch high end luxury cars. There’s a few reasons for this (try not to get offended everyone), but if you own a high end luxury car and take it to an independent to get it fixed, it might say a couple things that may cause the guy to “worry”. It might give the impression that you’re cheap; that you bought the expensive car, but don’t want to fix it (or worse, don’t have money to fix it). And now they are stuck fixing a car that they don’t see very often. They know parts will be expensive, they know there will be a learning curve and they know YOU are going to balk when you hear how much such and such part/procedure will cost. They don’t want that car sitting on their lift for three days (taking money away from other repairs they could be making on “normal” cars). And they don’t want you to leave unhappy with your higher priced repair bill - then go online and complain about it to the local community - and I can’t tell you many times I’ve seen that happen to local independents in my area. Oh my god! Just last week a guy brought his BMW into a shop down the street and posted his repair bill on our towns local community page! It was an oil change, a state inspection, wipers and bulbs. All of it was very much in line with what he should have been charged. All of it. This guy complained to 20,000 plus local residents about a repair that was more than fair. The shop had to defend themselves and explain each repair and how the customer asked for all of those repairs. Ridiculous.

Ive said it before, I’ll say it again. The LS460 is a reliable, fantastic automobile. Parts are very expensive. That’s the problem. And most of these cars are now 10 plus years old. That’s the problem. Not your “control arms”, that a high school automotive student can replace in under an hour...not your melting arm rest, that an upholstery shop can repair for $150 bucks. The problem is YOU. You should have bought that 8 year old Toyota Camry...and then complained about the $4,000 repair bill it needed for struts, alignment, check engine light and valve cover gaskets. Then you’d be happy buzzin down the highway in a tin can.
My god the accuracy of your statement is regards to an independent is scary, that is EXACTLY why some cars are turned away if the owner even kinda gives me the hint they don't really know what is involved. I always go through a quote beforehand and show in detail parts for some stuff like a Range Rover I did Thursday that blew up its rear diff. That way they can back out right there and only pay for a diagnosis
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (02-18-20)
Old 02-15-20, 05:22 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its 13 years old LOL And you paid way closer to $10k than you did $60k.

You need to practice saying "to me". The car is not worth it to you. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it to others. As I said, I am very familiar with your GX as I have considered buying one as a third car. I would never want to drive one daily, the LS is a much nicer vehicle overall to drive. Some additional maintenance is worth that difference to me.

If you bought a newer better cared for LS460 you would have had a better experience.

Everybody in here knows the trouble spots of the LS460. Nobody needs you to come in and "carry on" (your own description) about them. You haven't told anybody anything that wasn't already known. The issue is your attitude about it.
I beg to differ, the wind noise alone in the LS is much much worse than any car I have driven, you know the goofy design Lexus put on the front pilar and slapped a plastic cover on the triangle next to the side mirrors. That again is one of those “known issues”. I will say, I believe that possibly has been corrected.
You cannot know everything about a GX unless you personally own one or work on them. And even then your are learning. Simply wanting to own one doesn’t make you an expert nore does owning an LS460 make you an expert. Your MO is not positive and it has come across in this forum and now your upset about it. Get over yourself and your feelings. This is an open forum where people can and will express their thoughts views perspective on said topic and it creates great dialogue and conversation. If people choose to continue to direct the conversation in a positive way.
Old 02-15-20, 05:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't think resale values have anything to do with the LS460 having a "bad reputation", its just that luxury sedans have very poor depreciation. SUVs are in, sedans are out.
It's awesome though! Great cars for cheap and beaters basically for free
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by burgdorf
I beg to differ, the wind noise alone in the LS is much much worse than any car I have driven, you know the goofy design Lexus put on the front pilar and slapped a plastic cover on the triangle next to the side mirrors. That again is one of those “known issues”. I will say, I believe that possibly has been corrected.
You cannot know everything about a GX unless you personally own one or work on them. And even then your are learning. Simply wanting to own one doesn’t make you an expert nore does owning an LS460 make you an expert. Your MO is not positive and it has come across in this forum and now your upset about it. Get over yourself and your feelings. This is an open forum where people can and will express their thoughts views perspective on said topic and it creates great dialogue and conversation. If people choose to continue to direct the conversation in a positive way.
Your LS460 had a wind noise problem. It’s well
documented in 07-09 LS460s. There is a fix, and neither of my LS460s has any wind noise. There is a huge thread here about that issue and how to solve it.

I have driven several GXs, I know how they drive. Super as a third car but I wouldn’t want to drive one every day. What is there I need to be an “expert” on? I have no desire to drive any truck every day.

I fail to see how I need to “get over myself and my feelings” and you don’t. I think you are being totally unreasonable and arrogantly projecting your expectations and experiences with your car on the rest of us. Your opinion is an opinion, it’s not fact.

You bought a poorly cared for old LS460 and it sucked. It doesn’t mean they all suck.

Anyway you’ve moved on, so move on. Us LS460 owners will muddle along just fine without your “wisdom”
Old 02-18-20, 09:54 AM
stopdrpnro
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Going back and forth between my 430 and 600 has made me sensitive to most of the opposing views in this thread. 430 is a great vehicle but very different. Normally I would never consider it but I can get a 3rd party 5 yr 75k warranty on my 600 for ~$4k. $100 deductible up to trade in value of the vehicle unfortunately my biggest worry items air struts, control arms and hybrid battery aren't covered. do you guys think something like this would be worth buying?
Old 02-18-20, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

If it doesn't include the air struts, control arms and hybrid system I wouldnt do it for $4k
Old 02-18-20, 11:21 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by stopdrpnro
Going back and forth between my 430 and 600 has made me sensitive to most of the opposing views in this thread. 430 is a great vehicle but very different. Normally I would never consider it but I can get a 3rd party 5 yr 75k warranty on my 600 for ~$4k. $100 deductible up to trade in value of the vehicle unfortunately my biggest worry items air struts, control arms and hybrid battery aren't covered. do you guys think something like this would be worth buying?
No, because the only other item that might typically fail is the brake actuator, and if you're outside the ten-year warranty it's still not going to cost anywhere near $4k.
Old 02-18-20, 01:42 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

My wind noise was a folded over inner rubber molding on the passenger side door glass. You could look down and see it was folded over