LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Private seller question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 04:13 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by flashy5
guy told me 22946 out the door for this what do you guys think https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3693/overview/
Does that include or exclude tax?
Old 02-05-20, 04:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

That left rear quarter panel looks real suspect for a car with no accidents. According to Lexus service records, this car had rear bumper damage, could be minor but it was enough to throw off the "Master BSM Vertical Access" I assume its the mark on the bumper currently. It also says that at 87k miles, there was a lower oil pan gasket leak that the owner declined to repair. At 95k miles, there was still a leak, and there is no word of the leak ever being repaired.

As a positive, it had a new battery put in on the 24th of January, but it needs a positive battery terminal, and the owner, presumably the dealer, declined the change. Likely changed it themselves.

Last edited by RXGS; 02-05-20 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 04:17 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Bumper will need some work. This was in my short list of cars when I was buying mine. Great color combo.

Old 02-05-20, 04:25 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by RXGS
That left rear quarter panel looks real suspect for a car with no accidents. According to Lexus service records, this car had rear bumper damage, could be minor but it was enough to throw off the "Master BSM Vertical Access" I assume its the mark on the bumper currently. It also says that at 87k miles, there was a lower oil pan gasket leak that the owner declined to repair. At 95k miles, there was still a leak, and there is no word of the leak ever being repaired.

As a positive, it had a new battery put in on the 24th of January, but it needs a positive battery terminal, and the owner, presumably the dealer, declined the change. Likely changed it themselves.
Good observations. Leaks would be a big red flag for me. There is no way to know if the previous owner drove car low on oil.
Old 02-05-20, 04:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Good observations. Leaks would be a big red flag for me. There is no way to know if the previous owner drove car low on oil.
I mean I doubt he ran it low on oil, it would need to be pouring out. What I would be concerned about is the price to repair the leak. I assume the OP wouldn't want a leaking car and would have it fixed. Every car is different, but a majority of them, this repair is a pricey one
Old 02-05-20, 04:29 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Lower oil pan gasket should be pretty easy to replace. Isn't it?

https://repairpal.com/estimator/lexu...placement-cost
Old 02-05-20, 04:37 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Lower oil pan gasket should be pretty easy to replace. Isn't it?

https://repairpal.com/estimator/lexu...placement-cost
Every car is different, but on my 2009 X5, to replace the lower oil pan gasket was a 10 hour book time job. Also, the estimate you included is for transmission oil. Even if it is that cheap, if the owner declined to fix a few hundred dollar repair, kind of makes you wonder what else they declined to fix.
Old 02-05-20, 04:37 PM
flashy5
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Does that include or exclude tax?
its out the door tax included
Old 02-05-20, 04:40 PM
flashy5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RXGS

what it be a noticeable oil leak
Old 02-05-20, 04:41 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

its out the door tax included
Then that sounds like a good price. Another $500 off will be perfect but at this price it is hard to say how much more can be negotiated.

Car has some red flags and definitely needs to go through a pre-purchase inspection and you need to plan $s for bumper repair.
Old 02-05-20, 04:52 PM
flashy5
Pit Crew

Then that sounds like a good price. Another $500 off will be perfect but at this price it is hard to say how much more can be negotiated.

Car has some red flags and definitely needs to go through a pre-purchase inspection and you need to plan $s for bumper repair.
How much you think it would be to fix the bumper
Old 02-05-20, 04:59 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

I once got my LS430 bumper fixed for $250. They had quoted $500 initially. Shop had a good reputation and final result was acceptable to me although people who know could about painting could have found out easily. Prices vary based on location and you may have to shop around a bit. I would say plan for $500 average.
Old 02-05-20, 05:01 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

I'd bet a few hundred as long as the bumper is fine. If you really want to get a better idea, keep a copy of the picture on your phone, stop by a auto body shop and show them and ask. They could give you a better idea. Looking at the picture, it might only need a re-spray and that should not be too much.
Old 02-05-20, 06:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

The battery post cable could be a real issue that could leave you stranded depending on how bad it is. The oil leak is also a repair that needs to be done, how soon depends on you and where you park it. Oil leaks stain concrete and asphalt. I know that the plastic covers under the engine can hold/hide a lot of oil and make quite a mess when taken off. If the bumper is just scuffs, it's cosmetic and not a mechanical worry. Just my opinion. Hard to tell from photos but tire tread looks poor as well. New tires for next winter or now?? What the photos show is nice, it's what you don't see that needs to be verified.
Old 02-05-20, 07:15 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

guy told me 22946 out the door for this what do you guys think https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3693/overview/
As I might of said in another thread, I flew out to buy another 2013 from him. Chris is a standup guy, really honest and tried to go out of his way to help where he could. I had to back out and fly back though.

If you all are wondering the story...

This is going back about a month ago, I saw a 2013 L with ML and a good amount of features and a nice color combo, it had 115K on the clock and Lexus history was good but, it had a minor fender bender on the back(but was fixed) and it was in a price I could work with. I talked to Chris on the phone a few times, back and forth. I was really trying to get 2013+ at the time, so I said screw it. I live in CT, he is out in NC, so I grabbed a flight, flew out there, took a taxi to his dealership (small dealership in a old plaza with 3 stores with his being on the end). I saw the car, loved it, As it was late (getting around 9pm) he said, take the car for the night and we'll finish up the paperwork in the morning (I said I wanted it). I noticed some funky bugs but, didn't read up to them till the next morning..

The next morning the battery was dead, I didn't leave any lights on and I kind of figured this would happen. So I called Chris, about a 1/2 hour later he came out and jumped the car. He said he would just buy a battery and we'd call it a deal, I agreed. So we took the car to Advanced Auto parts, ordered a battery, and they said they would install it for free.

Some 75-80 year old guy came out to install the battery, He had a lot of problems getting the battery in, and I watched him SHOCK (with sparks) the positive terminal 3-5 times. After it was installed, I drove it to the next spot (had to get cash to finish the deal), the whole navi/audio system would not turn on. So, Lexus was 10 min down the road, he said he setup an appointment for them to check it out. After over 3 hours at the dealership, and what they found is the Navi system was blown, it would be $3500 to replace it, not including install.

I told Chris I can't take the car like this, he tried to find a replacement radio, and even was going to give me an extended warranty (it didn't cover audio/navi systems)... I jumped on my phone and found a return flight, got a refund and flew back home.

I was going to buy the car... but the point was to get a 2013+ with ML and if the ML didn't work, I didn't want it...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 02-05-20 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Private seller question?