LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Private seller question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 08:34 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Several of us have done the math and posted it. No need to be redundant with more math. Flashy reads all we post and it's OK if he changes his budget as he pleases, as many times as he pleases, without announcing it to us. So no need to beat him over the head with his previously stated budget either. We've helped him a lot by pointing out several potential issues. He stated that when the weather clears, it's being inspected. It appears he's moving forward. I'm happy for Flashy that he's found a car that's within driving distance and gonna stay positive.I'm sure he's appreciative as well. I do think we're all excited for him and enjoy the process of inspection and purchase.
Old 02-08-20, 08:55 AM
flashy5
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I increased by budget by 5000 as was suggested to me
The following 2 users liked this post by flashy5:
sha4000 (02-08-20), swfla (02-08-20)
Old 02-08-20, 08:55 AM
flashy5
Pit Crew

I already paid for the inspection so I might as well see it through
The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-08-20)
Old 02-08-20, 09:01 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by flashy5
I already paid for the inspection so I might as well see it through
Good luck !

Originally Posted by swfla
Several of us have done the math and posted it. No need to be redundant with more math.
Sorry to be redundant, I live in the same state as him, so the numbers are a little more inline with actual costs. I got a car about a week ago, so the numbers were very fresh.

Just needed to drive a point across...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 02-08-20 at 09:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidinCT:
sha4000 (02-08-20), swfla (02-08-20)
Old 02-08-20, 12:11 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Good luck !

Sorry to be redundant, I live in the same state as him, so the numbers are a little more inline with actual costs. I got a car about a week ago, so the numbers were very fresh.

Just needed to drive a point across...
You keep saying you got the car but where are the photos?
DavidinCT (02-08-20)
Old 02-09-20, 11:11 AM
flashy5
Pit Crew

yeah I been trying to see photos myself
DavidinCT (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 08:47 AM
flashy5
Pit Crew

This inspection has already been done on the car I might as well see what it says when it is processed. But I am still looking at other ls460s
swfla (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 10:47 AM
davidcvigi
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tax included???

Originally Posted by flashy5
its out the door tax included
I don't know how it works between North Carolina, where the car is located, and Connecticut, where you're located, but when I've bought cars from out of my home state, I have to pay the tax here at home and am not charged the tax at the point of purchase. If the dealer collects the Connecticut tax at the time of sale, how can you be assured that it will be paid to Connecticut?
Old 02-10-20, 03:34 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Be careful with taxes so that you don't end up paying twice. States have very specific laws about it. I checked laws before I committed to buying and also ensured it on paperwork. I also researched Arizona laws and required forms/paperwork. Dealer was experienced. They did all the paperwork mostly correctly, kind of. I reviewed all the paperwork and got it corrected, before signing.

In my case dealer said if I was to finance the vehicle then they collect the tax and pay it to GA. If cash, they can skip collecting taxes and I can pay directly to GA. I bought it cash so I will pay it when I get the title and register the car.

There are also laws about how long car can be in the state it is purchased from. e.g. I was considering buying one from TN couple of months ago and car couldn't be in TB for more than 3 days after purchase otherwise you have to pay taxes there.

Don't rely on dealer doing everything right, especially small dealers. Do your homework because ultimately buyer is responsible and could get hit financially. That's why there is a term "Buyer Beware".
Old 02-10-20, 04:43 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by davidcvigi
I don't know how it works between North Carolina, where the car is located, and Connecticut, where you're located, but when I've bought cars from out of my home state, I have to pay the tax here at home and am not charged the tax at the point of purchase. If the dealer collects the Connecticut tax at the time of sale, how can you be assured that it will be paid to Connecticut?
If it's any help I live in CT and just got my 2014 LS460 in MA... I had to pay taxes in MA and CT got $250 as their tax never mind registration.

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
You keep saying you got the car but where are the photos?
I was kind of hoping we had some nice weather so I could wash it before pictures but, I wanted to drive it for a little over a week to give a short review of it compared to my very beloved 2007 LS460L. And the weather went from about 50-60 (not normal for this time of the year) down to the low 40's, so washing is not really going to happen.

Maybe this weekend (it should give me the time I wanted) I'll post up dirty pictures

Last edited by DavidinCT; 02-10-20 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Fixing stuff
Old 02-10-20, 05:18 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Don't worry. I was just having some fun. I know we have the same color combo so I can imagine already.
DavidinCT (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 05:28 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Don't worry. I was just having some fun. I know we have the same color combo so I can imagine already.
No worries, I was going to do a post anyway... I never posted pictures of my poor 2007 460L anyway.
Old 02-10-20, 05:38 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
...down to the low 40's, so washing is not really going to happen.
Oh, come on--I wash mine when it's 35 out sometimes. The trick is to fill up the wash and rinse buckets with hot water.
DavidinCT (02-10-20)
Old 02-11-20, 06:59 AM
flashy5
Pit Crew

Copy and paste here is the summary of the inspection.

This Lexus is in good running and driving condition with some flaws worthy of note. The left rear quarter panel has been repaired. The repairs are done well overall with no evidence of structural damage or lingering issues. The finish is good, however, when viewed in the right light and angle, it can be noted that the color to the left rear quarter panel is just slightly darker than the rest of the car. See photos and comparison of the left rear door to the left rear quarter panel, not the easiest to detect but is present. There are minor misc scratches around the vehicle. Normal for mileage and most too small to see in photos. The vehicle shows minor miscellaneous dings around the body. There is light wear to the seats. Normal for mileage. The interior trim shows normal wear consistent with age and mileage. All interior functions and controls are operating as designed. The wheels do have some curb rash present and the tires are wearing evenly with tread getting on the low side and will require replacement in the near future. The engine had plenty of power and there were no misfires or excessive smoking. The transmission shifted as designed with no harsh engagement or slipping. The steering was responsive and the suspension was firm and the vehicle handled well. There were no abnormal vibrations or odd noises. The brakes were firm with no pulsation felt. There were no leaks found to the underside of the vehicle. I hooked up my Scan Tool to the computer system and found no current or pending codes. All of the live data looked good with no issues reported. Overall a decent vehicle. See below and pictures for more info.
Old 02-11-20, 07:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Wishing you patience and wisdom when discussing price. A solid possibility in my book.

Quick Reply: Private seller question?