LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What contributes to a slightly rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 10:05 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts
Default What contributes to a slightly rough idle?

2010 460L, 103K miles. Have owned a 1996 LS400 and 2004 LS430 prior to this. I've always noticed that I hear the engine slightly more at idle (in "Drive") in the 460 but I've gotten used to it. However in the last few months, I feel I'm starting to notice the difference in sound at idle a bit more than in the past and I feel a very slight vibration. If I put the car into "neutral" it's basically silent and completely still like the 400 or 430 were in "drive". But once in "drive" I just hear a slightly deeper sound. AC is on, etc. I've read the forum posts about idle but those seem to be talking about the RPM's not being where they should be (mine are at exactly 700 or 800 in "Drive" which is where the ECU wants it).

So what are some things that can lead to this subtle change in the amount of noise I hear at idle? Throttle body needs to be cleaned/replaced? It doesn't really bother me, but I am noticing it and just curious what the potential things could be that contribute to it so I can keep an eye on it and inform my mechanic.

Thanks,
Old 02-08-20, 11:06 AM
unabee
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think you're talking about a "rough idle", that would mean the engine is running uneven or misfiring or some other performance issue (you'd probably have a CEL in a modern car).

My guess is you're describing what we all feel after a few years, Broken or worn out motor mounts.

Im still trying to get the motivation to do mine, but they're a bit involved to replace.
Currently, this is the best method for a DIY'er :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10677082

Many shops will shy away from the job, or charge you a mint for the job (OEM Parts are $300-500 depending on where you buy them for all three mounts, labor is ...more). If you find a better way, please let us know.
The following 2 users liked this post by unabee:
jrmckinley (02-09-20), THE_CEO (10-09-21)
Old 02-08-20, 12:21 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
2010 460L, 103K miles. Have owned a 1996 LS400 and 2004 LS430 prior to this. I've always noticed that I hear the engine slightly more at idle (in "Drive") in the 460 but I've gotten used to it. However in the last few months, I feel I'm starting to notice the difference in sound at idle a bit more than in the past and I feel a very slight vibration. If I put the car into "neutral" it's basically silent and completely still like the 400 or 430 were in "drive". But once in "drive" I just hear a slightly deeper sound. AC is on, etc. I've read the forum posts about idle but those seem to be talking about the RPM's not being where they should be (mine are at exactly 700 or 800 in "Drive" which is where the ECU wants it).

So what are some things that can lead to this subtle change in the amount of noise I hear at idle? Throttle body needs to be cleaned/replaced? It doesn't really bother me, but I am noticing it and just curious what the potential things could be that contribute to it so I can keep an eye on it and inform my mechanic.

Thanks,
The question is: is your car making more noise, or are you hearing more noise? Several people have told us that an application of silicone grease to the door and window seals enhances the isolation of the cabin from outside noise.
Old 02-08-20, 02:35 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

I went through the exact same scenario with the noise / vibration at idle. It is your engine mounts. Before I changed my mounts I did a very thorough tune up, you name it I probably did it. Only the 3 new mounts stopped the vibrations. I do agree at first I thought it was a tune up issue or worse. The mounts really do an amazing job at isolating the engine. That is probably why they are aptly named isolation mounts
Old 02-10-20, 04:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by miket000
I went through the exact same scenario with the noise / vibration at idle. It is your engine mounts. Before I changed my mounts I did a very thorough tune up, you name it I probably did it. Only the 3 new mounts stopped the vibrations. I do agree at first I thought it was a tune up issue or worse. The mounts really do an amazing job at isolating the engine. That is probably why they are aptly named isolation mounts
Are these able to be checked by visual inspection to see if they are bad and the source of my problem?
Old 02-10-20, 05:00 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Somewhat. You can get under the car and do a visual on them. If you have someone rev the engine on and off and you watch the motor movement. If you see too much play than good chance your mounts are bad. The transmission is a bit tougher but since they are easier to change and one can do themself i would try that first. The engine mounts are a whole lot harder to swap.
Old 02-10-20, 06:44 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Somewhat. You can get under the car and do a visual on them. If you have someone rev the engine on and off and you watch the motor movement. If you see too much play than good chance your mounts are bad. The transmission is a bit tougher but since they are easier to change and one can do themself i would try that first. The engine mounts are a whole lot harder to swap.
OK thanks. I think what's confusing is the only time I hear or feel anything is when I'm completely stopped in "D". The second that I start moving and the RPM's are slightly higher, there is no noise or vibration. And there is no noise or vibration in neutral at all.
Old 02-10-20, 08:28 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
OK thanks. I think what's confusing is the only time I hear or feel anything is when I'm completely stopped in "D". The second that I start moving and the RPM's are slightly higher, there is no noise or vibration. And there is no noise or vibration in neutral at all.
If you put the car in neutral/park while at idle do you still feel the vibration? If it goes away then this would point towards engine mounts since the engine would be disconnected from the transmission in those scenarios.
Old 02-10-20, 09:12 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
If you put the car in neutral/park while at idle do you still feel the vibration? If it goes away then this would point towards engine mounts since the engine would be disconnected from the transmission in those scenarios.
No noise or vibration in neutral or park. What you're saying makes sense! Thanks
Old 02-10-20, 09:23 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

The lexus dealer did a visual inspection of our mounts. They did not find any problems with them. Replacing the mounts will resolve your vibration issues while stopped in D.
Old 02-10-20, 09:40 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by miket000
The lexus dealer did a visual inspection of our mounts. They did not find any problems with them. Replacing the mounts will resolve your vibration issues while stopped in D.
Good stuff, thank you. Any ballpark of what this costs for those of us who are not DIY?
Old 02-10-20, 10:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It can be any number of things

Dirty Throttle Body
Dirty Spark Plugs
Dirty/clogged Fuel injectors
Low RPM for whatever reason
Bad Motor mounts
Engine issue, stuck lifter.
Just to name a few. I would try a fuel injector cleaner like Redline. Check and wipe down the tips of your spark plugs or replace them if they look bad, clean your throttle body.
The following users liked this post:
jrmckinley (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 02:32 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
Keep it simple: start with injector cleaner and see if the problem resolves. Then you can step it up to MAF and throttle body cleaner. You're also around the point for spark plug replacement if it hasn't been done, which could solve your problems and it needs to be done regardless.

After that, I would start looking at the motor and transmission mount. Don't immediately jump to the most difficult step.
Agree, this is good advice.

I learned this lesson the hard (read: expensive) way about 40 years ago.
Old 02-19-20, 06:28 PM
fooldall1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could also be a faulty or failing Cam position sensor (or wiring to them, the clips can be flimsy and easy to damage when removing coil connectors) I noticed it for MONTHS before a CEL forced me to dig in there and test the sensors and conectors. I had to splice two new pigtails on the Bank 2 sensor circuits. The center RED cable pulled easily out of the Bank 2, Sensor B vvt/exhaust side. also had to replace the camshaft position sensor due to the same reason- wire eaily slid out of the connector terminals. After that, smooth again like new in drive, park, with or without AC on, in park, Drive, etc.. Makes sense, too- the functioning of those sensors determines the timing advancement of the cams (or retardation) and "clack" a lot when not functioning as they should. after the work was said and done it made a HUGE difference in the overall "Diesel like" sound that the engine made before the change, now, all I hear is the fuel rail click as usual. I imagine the spec of the CEL is above the point at which it starts to make some racket.

For the record, it eventually threw a P0340 and P0390 codes.

Last edited by fooldall1; 02-19-20 at 06:38 PM.