LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 motor oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 02:04 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Hey brother, just wondering if you've had a chance yet to install a new oil filter? It's possible it could be one of these o-rings and would be easier to check before moving on to those two o-rings for the housing itself.

haven’t had a chance to do an oil change yet (only had this car for a couple months and driven it 1000 miles haha). Will prob do an oil change in another month or so. But I did tighten the oil filter cap with a torque wrench to 35 foot pounds and it was already tight. I didn’t get a chance to look at the entire housing itself as the plastic under was still attached. I do see oil going to the other side of the car though! It doesn’t drip on passenger side, and only drips on the driver side. I wonder if it’s the filter itself, or the filter housing now. Ugh!

Is it hard to diagnose whether it’s the filter cap vs filter housing?
Old 01-17-21, 02:45 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
haven’t had a chance to do an oil change yet (only had this car for a couple months and driven it 1000 miles haha). Will prob do an oil change in another month or so. But I did tighten the oil filter cap with a torque wrench to 35 foot pounds and it was already tight. I didn’t get a chance to look at the entire housing itself as the plastic under was still attached. I do see oil going to the other side of the car though! It doesn’t drip on passenger side, and only drips on the driver side. I wonder if it’s the filter itself, or the filter housing now. Ugh!

Is it hard to diagnose whether it’s the filter cap vs filter housing?
For now, disregard the upper part of the housing and it's two o-rings (in blue). What I'm saying you might want to check first are the two o-rings (yellow) in the lower housing/cap (green). The lower housing/cap part is what is removed when changing the filter, and those two o-rings are included with the new filter. Perhaps the previous person that changed the filter forgot to install one of them. After removing the oil filter drain bolt (red), I use this to remove the oil filter cap:
Amazon.com: Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion 2.0 To 5.7 Liter Engines with 64mm Cartridge Style Oil Filter System - Perfect for Camry, RAV4, Tacoma, Highlander, Sienna, Tundra, and More: Automotive Amazon.com: Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion 2.0 To 5.7 Liter Engines with 64mm Cartridge Style Oil Filter System - Perfect for Camry, RAV4, Tacoma, Highlander, Sienna, Tundra, and More: Automotive

Once you get under there and change out the oil filter for the first time, it'll be a lot clearer to you....hopefully. Hahaha
Also, you can check to verify both o-rings are installed before your next planned oil change, as you'll probably only lose a half quart of oil or so.

Old 01-17-21, 03:02 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

For now, disregard the upper part of the housing and it's two o-rings (in blue). What I'm saying you might want to check first are the two o-rings (yellow) in the lower housing/cap (green). The lower housing/cap part is what is removed when changing the filter, and those two o-rings are included with the new filter. Perhaps the previous person that changed the filter forgot to install one of them. After removing the oil filter drain bolt (red), I use this to remove the oil filter cap: Amazon.com: Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion 2.0 To 5.7 Liter Engines with 64mm Cartridge Style Oil Filter System - Perfect for Camry, RAV4, Tacoma, Highlander, Sienna, Tundra, and More: Automotive

Once you get under there and change out the oil filter for the first time, it'll be a lot clearer to you....hopefully. Hahaha
Also, you can check to verify both o-rings are installed before your next planned oil change, as you'll probably only lose a half quart of oil or so.

ok I will do an oil change next month. What do you torque the oil filter drain cap, as well as the oil filter cap itself ? I just ordered & received my filter wrench, will I’ll be tackling the oil change soon. Curious if I should also try to tackle the o rings (in blue) at the same time...

if I don’t change the o rings in blue now and notice there’s still a leak, how much oil would I lose if I were to change them without changing the engine oil? Still around half quart?
Old 01-17-21, 03:31 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

ok I will do an oil change next month. What do you torque the oil filter drain cap, as well as the oil filter cap itself ? I just ordered & received my filter wrench, will I’ll be tackling the oil change soon. Curious if I should also try to tackle the o rings (in blue) at the same time...

if I don’t change the o rings in blue now and notice there’s still a leak, how much oil would I lose if I were to change them without changing the engine oil? Still around half quart?
I think if you have a good idea now that the leak is from this area, I'd go ahead and order the two o-rings for the upper housing part in case they're needed. When you go to change the filter and notice one of those filter cap o-rings is missing, then you may have found the issue and not need to replace those upper ones. I haven't had to replace those upper o-rings, so I can't comment on how easy or difficult to perform; I guess it depends on how easy it is to access those bolts. And I would think not much more oil loss would occur changing them out. Hopefully you'll get a better idea once you're able to look up around that area.

For the filter cap and drain bolt, I just hand tighten until they're snug and then just add one more crank of the wrench. Don't know what the torque specs are, but I haven't had any issues either.
Old 01-17-21, 03:44 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I think if you have a good idea now that the leak is from this area, I'd go ahead and order the two o-rings for the upper housing part in case they're needed. When you go to change the filter and notice one of those filter cap o-rings is missing, then you may have found the issue and not need to replace those upper ones. I haven't had to replace those upper o-rings, so I can't comment on how easy or difficult to perform; I guess it depends on how easy it is to access those bolts. And I would think not much more oil loss would occur changing them out. Hopefully you'll get a better idea once you're able to look up around that area.

For the filter cap and drain bolt, I just hand tighten until they're snug and then just add one more crank of the wrench. Don't know what the torque specs are, but I haven't had any issues either.

thanks. I can’t find the darn o rings on eBay. Guess I’ll have to bring the old ones and try to match them with whatever oreilly or autozone has. Darn it
Old 01-17-21, 04:18 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Looks like this is the part# 96722-24030 and may be cheaper from a dealership? Or like 305Busa did in post #4 and found some that matched. But then again, you'd have to remove the old ones first. 8(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-TOYOT...gAAOSwcj5ZQzIU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TOY...YAAOSwxp1fxQzY

Old 01-17-21, 04:53 PM
elejes
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil leak

I picked some oem rings from the dealership and it was still leaking. I ended up replacing them with similar and a bit thicker ones from O’Reilly auto parts.
No more leaks after that, my problem went away.

By the way, take out a spark plug from each side (closer to the firewall if possible) to determine if you have oil leaking from inside the spark plug seals. I had to replace all of mine because of this issue too way before the oil filter housing issue.
Old 01-18-21, 08:19 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elejes
I picked some oem rings from the dealership and it was still leaking. I ended up replacing them with similar and a bit thicker ones from O’Reilly auto parts.
No more leaks after that, my problem went away.

By the way, take out a spark plug from each side (closer to the firewall if possible) to determine if you have oil leaking from inside the spark plug seals. I had to replace all of mine because of this issue too way before the oil filter housing issue.
The spark plugs were changed at 60k miles, I’m at 103k right now. I will try to focus on the leaking oil below first lol. Was it hard to take off the black plastic covers underneath? Is there a ton of 10mm bolts to remove to take it off? Does it come right off when you remove the bolts or is it stuck to other parts ? Sorry, never worked under the car before where I have to remove black plastic so I’m very nervous lol
Old 01-18-21, 09:11 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

The spark plugs were changed at 60k miles, I’m at 103k right now. I will try to focus on the leaking oil below first lol. Was it hard to take off the black plastic covers underneath? Is there a ton of 10mm bolts to remove to take it off? Does it come right off when you remove the bolts or is it stuck to other parts ? Sorry, never worked under the car before where I have to remove black plastic so I’m very nervous lol
Whether your spark plugs where changed or not, you need to check spark plug grommets and valve cover seals for leaks. Check both fuel pumps for leaks as well, both are notorious for leaking oil.

The plastic splash shields come off easily especially if you have a clip remover. You might have to replace some plastic clips as some of the them break upon removal. Once you undo all 10mm screws and clips, splash shields just fall down. When you re-install 10mm screws, make sure not to strip plastic clips the screws go into.

Last edited by Anfanger; 01-18-21 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-18-21, 09:20 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Whether your spark plugs where changed or not, you need to check spark plug grommets and valve cover seals for leaks. Check both fuel pump for leaks as well, both are notorious for leaking oil.

The plastic splash shields come off easily especially if you have a clip remover. You might have to replace some plastic clips as some of the break upon removal. Once you undo all 10mm screws and clips, splash shields just fall down. When you re-install 10mm screws, make sure not to strip plastic clips the screws go into.

where is the fuel pump?

also, for the black plastic underneath the car, are there lots of screws to remove? Afraid I’ll miss screws while trying to remove the black plastic to try and find the leak lol. Also, I’m assuming I just need 2 jack stands each side at the front - which should be enough clearance yeah?
Old 01-18-21, 09:25 AM
elejes
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Your going to have to do a little bit of a research/reading on your own since it seems you need detailed instructions.
Just look for what your concerned about, it’s there.
I used ramps and that worked out better for me. Be careful jacking up that car.

You won’t know what we are talking about until you go in there and look on your own.
Old 01-18-21, 09:26 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Check the link below regarding fuel pump location and the gasket replacement.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html

There are not that many screws if you use a power driver. Some of the screws hold overlapping shields, so you need to pay attention which shield goes where.

I too prefer ramps over stands unless I need more clearance.

Last edited by Anfanger; 01-18-21 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-19-21, 08:30 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

changing the oil early tomorrow morning. Nervous LOL. I looked under the car today at the filter cap itself. Saw some oil on it, but too hard to tell if it’s coming from the top of the housing unit, or if it’s coming from the oil filter cap without removing the filter cap itself. If I remove only the oil filter cap, will I be able to tell if it’s leaking from the filter housing vs filter cap?

also... I have purchased that special wrench to open the oil filter. I’ve heard stories of that wrench breaking or people having issues removing the filter cap due to previous owner / shops over tightening. Anyone have any advice for a first timer? The wrench was $5 off eBay so I’m hoping it doesn’t break on me!
Old 01-20-21, 04:26 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

changing the oil early tomorrow morning. Nervous LOL. I looked under the car today at the filter cap itself. Saw some oil on it, but too hard to tell if it’s coming from the top of the housing unit, or if it’s coming from the oil filter cap without removing the filter cap itself. If I remove only the oil filter cap, will I be able to tell if it’s leaking from the filter housing vs filter cap?

also... I have purchased that special wrench to open the oil filter. I’ve heard stories of that wrench breaking or people having issues removing the filter cap due to previous owner / shops over tightening. Anyone have any advice for a first timer? The wrench was $5 off eBay so I’m hoping it doesn’t break on me!
I had hard times removing the cap. It took some effort. I wouldn't recommend using impact tools to remove either housing or the cap. You will need to a have a proper grip on the housing to remove the cap, if it was indeed overtighten. You should trying removing the cap first on the car and if it does not come off, off the car.

If you want to find the leak, you will need to clean old oil and dust. Then you will have to monitor the housing for leaks.

When you reinstall the housing and the cap. Use a generous amount of oil on o-rings to avoid damage to rubber. Tighten to the required torques and avoid excessive torque.
Old 01-20-21, 10:31 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I had hard times removing the cap. It took some effort. I wouldn't recommend using impact tools to remove either housing or the cap. You will need to a have a proper grip on the housing to remove the cap, if it was indeed overtighten. You should trying removing the cap first on the car and if it does not come off, off the car.

If you want to find the leak, you will need to clean old oil and dust. Then you will have to monitor the housing for leaks.

When you reinstall the housing and the cap. Use a generous amount of oil on o-rings to avoid damage to rubber. Tighten to the required torques and avoid excessive torque.
I finished the oil change. The o rings were there and I replaced them. They were in the correct positions. So I don’t think the oil leak was from there since the o rings weren’t missing (or incorrectly placed).

I was not able to see where the filter housing connected to the engine up top, as there was way too much black plastic & black metal covering everything.

is there any other places that engine oil could be leaking? I don’t think it’s from the fuel pump because I don’t smell gasoline burning.

Quick Reply: Ls 460 motor oil leak