LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 motor oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 10:38 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
I finished the oil change. The o rings were there and I replaced them. They were in the correct positions. So I don’t think the oil leak was from there since the o rings weren’t missing (or incorrectly placed).

I was not able to see where the filter housing connected to the engine up top, as there was way too much black plastic & black metal covering everything.

is there any other places that engine oil could be leaking? I don’t think it’s from the fuel pump because I don’t smell gasoline burning.
Fuel pump seals leak oil, it is a common issue on this car, not gasoline, though gas leak can happen too. If you want to inspect the engine for leaks, you need to remove plastic shielding and the engine bay covers.
Old 01-20-21, 11:03 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Fuel pump seals leak oil, it is a common issue on this car, not gasoline, though gas leak can happen too. If you want to inspect the engine for leaks, you need to remove plastic shielding and the engine bay covers.

I will go take a look at the fuel pumps on each side to see. Last time I checked; they looked good and not leaking at all, but will look again. Are there any other areas?
Old 01-20-21, 11:45 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I will go take a look at the fuel pumps on each side to see. Last time I checked; they looked good and not leaking at all, but will look again. Are there any other areas?
Yes, valve cover gaskets can develop leaks over time too.
Old 01-20-21, 11:55 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Yes, valve cover gaskets can develop leaks over time too.

I do see old oil at the very bottom of my valve cover. It’s old. Like black thick old oil. It doesn’t look new. But it’s there, even on one of the 10mm bolt itself has black sludge looking thing on it. Could it be oil leaking from the valve gasket cover that goes all the way down to the oil filter?
Old 01-20-21, 12:01 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

If your valve covers are leaking oil, you need to fix it.

The filter housing seems to protrude away from the engine. I am not sure a valve cover leak would reach the filter housing. But it is something you could track down if you remove plastic shielding as I stated earlier.
Old 01-20-21, 04:16 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

If your valve covers are leaking oil, you need to fix it.

The filter housing seems to protrude away from the engine. I am not sure a valve cover leak would reach the filter housing. But it is something you could track down if you remove plastic shielding as I stated earlier.
thanks! I found leaking oil from the high pressure fuel pump gaskets which need to be replaced (both sides). I think it’s leaking onto the valve cover bolts, which made me think it was the valve cover gaskets at first. So imma do the repair and see how it goes from there. But man there must’ve been a lot of leakage for it to drain all the way down to the floor lol.
Old 01-20-21, 05:14 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

In post #24, I stated that you need to check the fuel pumps for leaks. I am not sure why you decided it was not worth checking.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10975332
Old 01-20-21, 05:19 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

In post #24, I stated that you need to check the fuel pumps for leaks. I am not sure why you decided it was not worth checking.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10975332

Ah, I didn’t know that was the fuel pump lol! And I didn’t know a leak looked the way it did (old black sludge looking on the valve cover). Anyway, appreciate the help!
Old 01-20-21, 05:22 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Ah, I didn’t know that was the fuel pump lol! And I didn’t know a leak looked the way it did (old black sludge looking on the valve cover). Anyway, appreciate the help!
No problem, it is OK that you did not know. Just ask, people here are helpful and will take time to help you out. We are all here to learn and share.
Old 01-20-21, 05:33 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

No problem, it is OK that you did not know. Just ask, people here are helpful and will take time to help you out. We are all here to learn and share.

Thanks! Another side question: is taking the fuse plug out necessary for the fuel pump gasket replacement? Or just removing the battery is enough?

I saw a few posts with people saying it took 2-3 hours to finish this job. Quite intimidating!
Old 01-20-21, 05:44 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Sorry, I don't know what fuse plug you mean. I actually replaced mine without taking out the battery or even disconnecting it. Though, I do not recommend the way I did it.
Old 01-21-21, 08:36 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Sorry, I don't know what fuse plug you mean. I actually replaced mine without taking out the battery or even disconnecting it. Though, I do not recommend the way I did it.

question: did you unplug the fuel lines that went into the fuel pump? Or just left them on?
Old 01-22-21, 03:22 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

question: did you unplug the fuel lines that went into the fuel pump? Or just left them on?
You have to take the lines off.
Old 01-22-21, 04:05 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

As it was stated, you have to. But you need to make sure that you relieve the pressure slowly. Take extra precautions when working with the fuel pumps.

I believe, a correct way to do it is to disable the fuel pump in the tank. Then run the engine until it stalls. After it should be safe to disconnect the fuel lines. Such procedure will, most likely, set a check engine light on. You can easily reset the light after reconnecting the pump and when all the work on the fuel pumps in the engine compartment is done.

Last edited by Anfanger; 01-22-21 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 06:12 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

As it was stated, you have to. But you need to make sure that you relieve the pressure slowly. Take extra precautions when working with the fuel pumps.

I believe, a correct way to do it is to disable the fuel pump in the tank. Then run the engine until it stalls. After it should be safe to disconnect the fuel lines. Such procedure will, most likely, set a check engine light on. You can easily reset the light after reconnecting the pump and when all the work on the fuel pumps in the engine compartment is done.
how come the lines have to come off? I can’t leave the rubber fuel lines attached to the pump and just unscrew the two bolts ? I was thinking I’d do that. Is it because there’s not enuff clearance to remove it with the lines on?

also, if I have to remove the fuel lines, I’d take off the negative battery, then remove the fuel line, then put back on. Is that safe? Not exactly sure what the point of removing the fuel lines is for (sorry new at all this).

Quick Reply: Ls 460 motor oil leak