LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 motor oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-21, 06:21 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
As it was stated, you have to. But you need to make sure that you relieve the pressure slowly. Take extra precautions when working with the fuel pumps.

I believe, a correct way to do it is to disable the fuel pump in the tank. Then run the engine until it stalls. After it should be safe to disconnect the fuel lines. Such procedure will, most likely, set a check engine light on. You can easily reset the light after reconnecting the pump and when all the work on the fuel pumps in the engine compartment is done.
the post here, he didn’t remove the rubber hose. And just unbolted the two bolts holding it in. Is this ok to do? Or should I remove the rubber hose?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html

Old 01-22-21, 06:23 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

You can remove the lines at the fuel pumps, I highlighted nuts, in the picture, you need to undo. I recommend removing the highlighted bolt on the left too. Once you do that, there is going to be enough flex in metal fuel lines to remove the pump.

Even if you disconnect the battery, there is pressure in the fuel lines and it takes a while for it to dissipate. You either can remove the nuts very slowly and allow the gas to escape (not recommended) or disable the fuel pump in the tank and run the engine until it stalls.
Old 01-22-21, 06:49 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

You can remove the lines at the fuel pumps, I highlighted nuts, in the picture, you need to undo. I recommend removing the highlighted bolt on the left too. Once you do that, there is going to be enough flex in metal fuel lines to remove the pump.

Even if you disconnect the battery, there is pressure in the fuel lines and it takes a while for it to dissipate. You either can remove the nuts very slowly and allow the gas to escape (not recommended) or disable the fuel pump in the tank and run the engine until it stalls.

yes. I plan to remove those two (now 3 based on ur post) very slowly and allow the gas to escape. But I am curious about the black rubber hose that is underneath the red square on the far right... I believe there’s a black rubber hose there too, right? Did you guys remove that?
Old 01-22-21, 07:02 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I do not believe, I needed to remove anything else but two metal fuel pipes and 10 mm bolt on the left (+ nuts holding the pump). As it was stated in the original article (the link is below), you need to make sure not allow the 21mm nut to move.
Old 01-22-21, 07:09 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I do not believe, I needed to remove anything else but two metal fuel pipes and 10 mm bolt on the left (+ nuts holding the pump). As it was stated in the original article (the link is below), you need to make sure not allow the 21mm nut to move.

perfect thanks! If I slowly remove the bolts, I assume there will be pressure in the fuel lines which means a lot will be spilling out. Correct? So if I have a rag there to catch the fuel that spills out, I should be fine. Yeah?
Old 01-22-21, 07:15 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Yes, I used paper towels to catch the fuel. When you loosen the nuts slowly the fuel will start coming out. Stop and allow the pressure to drop. Then resume and repeat until you see no fuel coming out.

Note: Do not allow the fuel to spray around. If you see spraying, tighten the nut it back a little bit.

Last edited by Anfanger; 01-22-21 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 07:35 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Yes, I used paper towels to catch the fuel. When you loosen the nuts slowly the fuel will start coming out. Stop and allow the pressure to drop. Then resume and repeat until you see no fuel coming out.

Note: Do not allow the fuel to spray around. If you see spraying, tighten the nut it back a little bit.

ah ok good advice. Thanks. How much fuel we talking? A full cup? Lol and will the fuel come out of both nuts ?
Old 01-22-21, 07:52 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Not a cup, but 1/3 maybe 1/2. I believe, both sides (fuel tank, engine) will have some fuel pressurized in the lines.
Old 01-25-21, 08:10 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Not a cup, but 1/3 maybe 1/2. I believe, both sides (fuel tank, engine) will have some fuel pressurized in the lines.
car is parked outside ... and I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery. Letting it sit overnight then tomorrow morning, I’ll be doing the fuel pump gasket replacement. Beyond nervous! Will report back with the results!

side note: I found this great YouTube link that I haven’t seen before, so I’m posting it here! Video looks pretty good compared to the other two videos I’ve seen...

Old 01-26-21, 02:33 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I do not remember disconnecting the rubber hose. I believe, I just moved the pump to a side...

When I replaced seals on my fuel pumps, I had remove traces of old seals. If you do to, make sure not to use metal scrapers. Otherwise, you will end up with a more serious problem.

Last edited by Anfanger; 01-26-21 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-26-21, 05:31 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Allusuc, you can leave the black rubber hose on to do the fuel pump gaskets, but if you plan on doing valve cover gasket as well the tube needs to come off and the pump removed completely.
Old 01-26-21, 11:13 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZGS4
Allusuc, you can leave the black rubber hose on to do the fuel pump gaskets, but if you plan on doing valve cover gasket as well the tube needs to come off and the pump removed completely.
help!! I can’t get this black box out of the way to get to the 2 bolts holding the fuel pump on the driver side. Help!!

Old 01-26-21, 12:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
help!! I can’t get this black box out of the way to get to the 2 bolts holding the fuel pump on the driver side. Help!!

Remove the 2 connectors from underneath.
Old 01-26-21, 01:46 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Changed both fuel pump gaskets... took the car for 1 drive around the block .... and still leak!!! Honestly I’m so tired ugh.

I know the fuel pump gaskets were leaking because I saw a bunch of black tar looking stuff all over the valve cover gasket.

I think it could be from the filter ... or the 2 o rings that hold the filter housing to the engine. Ugh I’m so sad guys!! I dunno what to do now

you think I should get back under the car and try to find the leak? My valve cover gaskets were not leaking...
Old 01-26-21, 02:30 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Is it possible that the leak is coming from a bad plastic filter cap? I checked and there are two o rings on there so it’s not from o rings. I know people have metal / aluminum ones. Should I try swapping to aluminum from the poopie black plastic? Thoughts? Ugh!!

Quick Reply: Ls 460 motor oil leak