LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 motor oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 02:33 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by miket000
I'm guessing the oil is leaking from your filter housing. I also had this problem a few times with oil leaking down the filter housing. It leaks from the very top. I can see how it might look like it's coming from up above. I recommend purchasing a genuine toyota ( lexus) metal filter housing. Then only use the genuine 0-rings. I've found a few aftermarket orings on ebay that did not seal properly. They caused a slow to mild leak.

I tried an aftermarket metal filter housing from autozone. It worked fine for 5000 miles. Then on the next oil change it leaked. I believe the oring included with the aftermarket housing sealed fine. The subsequent orings I tried leaked.

If you already have the genuine metal housing I'd replace the top oring with a genuine one, If you have the plastic original housing it may have cracked which is common. In this case also replace it with the genuine metal housing.

Is it hard to see a cracked plastic filter cap? Contemplating whether to swap it to metal / aluminum ...
Old 01-26-21, 02:42 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Allusuc I would focus on once thing at a time. First thing is the fuel pump gasket leaks. Are you sure they are still leaking and on both the passenger and driver sides? Can you tell specifically where they are leaking from? Can you post a picture of the leaks?
Old 01-26-21, 02:50 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZGS4
Allusuc I would focus on once thing at a time. First thing is the fuel pump gasket leaks. Are you sure they are still leaking and on both the passenger and driver sides? Can you tell specifically where they are leaking from? Can you post a picture of the leaks?

my fuel pump gaskets aren’t leaking anymore. I cleaned the area on the metal housing/cover really good. And looked at it after driving around a block and there’s no leak coming from the fuel pump gasket. But it’s still leaking somewhere.... because I see 3-4 drops (size of a quarter) on my floor. Ugh so sad. Dunno what to do now
Old 01-26-21, 03:22 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Ok well good job on the fuel pump gaskets. It is good to hear they are not leaking. Have you cleaned the filter housing and area around it really well to see if you can isolate if the leak might be coming from there?
Old 01-26-21, 03:32 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Ok well good job on the fuel pump gaskets. It is good to hear they are not leaking. Have you cleaned the filter housing and area around it really well to see if you can isolate if the leak might be coming from there?

you know ... it might be from the filter cap itself. The black filter cap. I know the old owner took it to valvoline to get oil changes done, and they might have over torqued it to where the cap it is warped? I know the two o rings are on the filter cap correctly since I changed it myself. But honestly; is there a high chance that the filter cap itself, is bad? Hence causing a leak (even though o rings are in place)?

does anyone know the part numbers for the filter cap?
Old 01-26-21, 03:47 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I have this oil filter cap part #15620-31060. It is an aluminum Toyota filter cap and not the OEM plastic one.

Amazon Amazon

Also for anyone interested, this filter wrench is really great and worked on my old plastic filter cap that had rounded angles and broken plastic tabs.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-26-21, 03:50 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I have this oil filter cap part #15620-31060. It is an aluminum Toyota filter cap and not the OEM plastic one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also for anyone interested, this filter wrench is really great and worked on my old plastic filter cap that had rounded angles and broken plastic tabs.

did you have to do any modifications to this metal cap? I heard the middle part (metal tube that sticks out) is too short compared to the black plastic version. Did you literally just swap this metal one with the black plastic one? Any issues?
Old 01-26-21, 04:06 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I found this one. Looks same, but cheaper. Anyway, did you do any modifications to the middle metal part since it’s shorter?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Toy....m46890.l49292
Old 01-26-21, 05:37 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Yes I did swap the center from the existing filter cap into the new one, but that is a simple thing to do. I forgot to mention that originally.
Old 01-26-21, 07:17 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Yes I did swap the center from the existing filter cap into the new one, but that is a simple thing to do. I forgot to mention that originally.

what are the chances that the leak is coming from the actual black plastic filter cap? Is this something that’s common?
Old 01-27-21, 09:28 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Looks like this is the part# 96722-24030 and may be cheaper from a dealership? Or like 305Busa did in post #4 and found some that matched. But then again, you'd have to remove the old ones first. 8(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-TOYOT...gAAOSwcj5ZQzIU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-TOY...YAAOSwxp1fxQzY

Check out these oil leak pics!! At first I thought it was oil filter cap (might still be), but it’s this metal part on the right of the oil filter cap!! Is this the part everyone was talking about? Needing the 2 o rings? Also... I didn’t notice until I zoomed in, but it looks like it’s freaking cracked!! Is this true!!!??

Zoomed into the picture. See the far right? It looks like a freakin crack!! Omg!!

First glance. I see oil on the filter cap. Still might be this, and I’ve already ordered a metal one which I’ll install shortly.

Another pic. Oil seems to be coming from that metal part.

You see there the light is shining? Oil is coming from there.

Last edited by Allusuc; 01-27-21 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 10:08 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Allusc. Here is a picture I just took from my car that mostly matches the angle of your picture above. The bolt circled in red in my picture is the same bolt just above the oil filter in your last picture. To me it looks like your leaking may be coming from the area I circled in blue and from what I can tell that looks to be where the timing chain cover attaches to the block. You may have a leak coming from that area, but it is hard to tell.

Last edited by AZGS4; 01-27-21 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-27-21, 10:11 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

If you take off the the under cover you should be able to get a much better view of what is going on.
Old 01-27-21, 10:11 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Allusc. Here is a picture I just took from my car that mostly matches the angle of your picture above. The bolt circled in red in my picture is the same bolt just above the oil filter in your last picture. To me it looks like your leaking may be coming form the area I circled in blue and from what I can tell that looks

to be where the rear plate attaches to the block. You may have a leak coming from that gasket, but it is hard to tell.
ahh no. Not on that side. It’s on the other side. Your pic is more on the driver side. Mine is the opposite side of the filter, which would be about 4 inches to the left of the red circle.
Old 01-27-21, 10:15 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

If you take off the the under cover you should be able to get a much better view of what is going on.

Yeah you’re right. I’ll have to do it over the weekend though since I’m swapped during weekdays.

so far... I’m thinking oil pan seals? Rear main seals? Or timing cover?

Quick Reply: Ls 460 motor oil leak