LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Auto trunk opener-closer will not latch/lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 03:50 AM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto trunk opener-closer will not latch/lock

I have a 2008 LS460L with the automatic trunk open/closer, I tried to interrupt the automatic trunk closer from closing all the way to get something back out of the trunk although it closed/latched. When trying to open it again by the remote, it wouldn’t open. I tried the trunk release inside the car, and it would not open. I then used the key to open the trunk, and when the trunk was open, I heard what sounded like the auto close feature cycling back and forth open/close several times before stopping. Now the trunk won't stay closed or latched, any suggestions?

Old 02-25-20, 10:11 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Spray some lube on the locking latch and move it back and forth using the neon emergency lever on the trunk. Mine would occasionally get stuck when I interrupted the auto close and open to preserve the lift motor. My latch motor was only a year old when it started getting stuck and needed grease.

If this doesn't work then chances are that you need a new latch motor if it has never been changed. The plastic lever/gears inside break after several years. There is a fix on the forum using a small screw to hold the gears together to extend the life of the latch motor. Not sure how effective of a fix it has been for forum members. getting to the latch motor is pretty simple with basic tools
Old 02-25-20, 01:28 PM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sellshomes
I have a 2008 LS460L with the automatic trunk open/closer, I tried to interrupt the automatic trunk closer from closing all the way to get something back out of the trunk although it closed/latched. When trying to open it again by the remote, it wouldn’t open. I tried the trunk release inside the car, and it would not open. I then used the key to open the trunk, and when the trunk was open, I heard what sounded like the auto close feature cycling back and forth open/close several times before stopping. Now the trunk won't stay closed or latched, any suggestions?

my 08 is doing the same thing sometimes it dosent open on its on and remains dead it beeps but dosent open

Try to remove the battery cable and let the car reset it will work again
Old 02-28-20, 01:53 PM
MrWalleye
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LS460 L started doing the same thing just few months ago. It did nothing from the remote or form the inside button. When I push the auto cloase after I open it with the key it will close on it's own. I have not been able to check to see if it is fuse related or failure from the solenoid.