LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Horn is Sad and Non-Threatening, Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20 | 03:48 AM
E40D
Driver School Candidate

Default LS460 Horn is Sad and Non-Threatening, Upgrades?

2012 LS460

Horn is a bit of a joke in the decibel and tone department.

While I prefer a train horn upgrade, I don't think there is much room for the requisite air compressor.

Are there direct fit options that exist that would give me a horn that actually light a fire under the **** of the person at whom I am honking?

Toyota truck horn perhaps? That's gotta be a variant of the same I engine.
Old 03-02-20 | 11:15 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
The LS460 has two horns, a high and a low pitch. It sounds like on of your horns is dead, as the horn in the LS460 is VERY loud for a stock car.
I agree its loud
Old 03-02-20 | 11:49 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Get these for Pepboys. I put them on my Wife's Toyota Matrix and it is very loud. Sounds the same as Oem Lexus tone/notes but LOUDER!

Old 03-02-20 | 02:50 PM
Nospinzone

OK, you have touched a nerve. Many years ago someone behind me had a horn like the one in post #1. I don't remember exactly what I did to cause him to blare that thing, but it was entirely uncalled for. I came within an inch of stopping, pulling his *** out of the car and beating the crap out of him. I'm glad I didn't because I probably would have been arrested. BUT, he would have deserved it.

My point is there may be an occasion where the use of such a horn is appropriate, but be very careful not to abuse it ............ especially with me!
The following 3 users liked this post by Nospinzone:
DavidinCT (03-03-20), Fhobbs (03-06-20), Mythicalni (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20 | 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
OK, you have touched a nerve. Many years ago someone behind me had a horn like the one in post #1. I don't remember exactly what I did to cause him to blare that thing, but it was entirely uncalled for. I came within an inch of stopping, pulling his *** out of the car and beating the crap out of him. I'm glad I didn't because I probably would have been arrested. BUT, he would have deserved it.

My point is there may be an occasion where the use of such a horn is appropriate, but be very careful not to abuse it ............ especially with me!
Yeah those train horns are so loud they can very well cause an accident. They have no place on a passenger car.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Fhobbs (03-06-20), Nospinzone (03-06-20)
Old 03-02-20 | 06:47 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

The horn in my 2012 is far from wimpy. However, I do love these Hella horns. They are very much directional and much louder to the front of the car

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...om=Search&cx=0
Old 03-02-20 | 06:48 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

As some others have said have your horns checked. They are plenty loud for a passenger car.
Old 03-03-20 | 07:36 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Marco or stebel. I've researched Marco and there's a high tone and low tone one I would install both
Old 03-03-20 | 11:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
You mean you don't need horns capable of causing permanent hearing damage?!
Yeah what a concept huh? LOL
Old 03-03-20 | 01:12 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I'll never forget a Mercedes 600 driver honking his "country" horn at me in the 1960's when I was driving my little silver 190SL 2-seat convertible in downtown St. Louis - scared the crap out of me. He was probably just saying "Hello" as Mercedes were pretty rare in the Midwest back then. The Mercedes 600 and some S-class Mercedes had city/country horn toggle switches on their dashboards.

I added two horns that were originally on my 1990 LS400 to the 2000 LS400 I sold in 2014 - see attached photo. They gave a nice boost in volume without seeming obnoxious. I first wired the extra horns directly to the existing horns but decided that wasn't safe so I added a relay to power the extra horns from an accessory terminal in the engine compartment fuse box and trigger the relay from the positive wire leading to the original driver side horn. There was room in the fuse box for the relay.

Google "horn related road rage" and you'll find lots of news stories. I've been surprised at how often I've been rewarded with "one finger salutes" after barely tapping my horn to wake up people sitting at traffic lights playing with their phones. My wife worries that someone's going to step out of their vehicle and start firing away similar to what has been reported in some of the news stories. I've mainly sounded my horn the past few years when someone was backing out of a parking space and about to hit me.

The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (03-06-20)
Old 03-03-20 | 01:17 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

Was it a guy driving an F150/F250/ Raptor? There was this young driver I'd see a few times with those train horns. One time at a 4 way stop a Corolla or Civic and the Ford Truck crossed each other. The driver in the car honked his weak horn to say he had the right of way. He had his window down. The guy in the trunk then leaned on his Airhorns and all I remember hearing is a brief hiss of air and then a BLAST of sound. The guy must have wet his pants as he quickly drove off ! I bet the truck driver was waiting for the perfect moment to use them.
I used to install Fiamm airhorn on all my vehicles back in the day. I stopped doing it when the compressor relay failed and the horn got stuck on . I had to quickly pull over and yank the power wire.

Last edited by JLAWS; 03-05-20 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-03-20 | 07:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Oh dear you are serious aren't you?

As above I much prefer to avoid using the horn and drive defensively so I don't have to since it's easy to **** people off and a gunfight is not fun and there is a lot of paperwork.
Old 03-04-20 | 11:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

People can react very harshly to a car horn. In CA and likely applicable for other states that have limits regarding decibel level of horns. This is the amendment to CA vehicle code section 27000 that passed in 2010. Amending that horns in motor vehicles not exceed 110db.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...00920100AB2245

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:

SECTION 1. Section 27000 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read: (a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but a horn shall not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound and a motor vehicle shall not be equipped with an aftermarket horn that emits a sound greater than 110 dB(A). An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn that emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.
Old 03-06-20 | 04:28 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

And they are dangerous. Scare someone and they overreact and plow into the car next to them or in front of them. I don’t like people looking at their phone with a green light either, but the loud horns are not the solution IMHO.
Old 03-06-20 | 12:00 PM
MiserLS400
Driver School Candidate

Go get the horns from a mid eighties Cadillac, plenty in the salvage yards. They have 4 horns that are legal ,OEM loud, and have the 4 notes = train sound.

~miser

Quick Reply: LS460 Horn is Sad and Non-Threatening, Upgrades?