LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any Tips for rear cv axle shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 09:32 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Any Tips for rear cv axle shaft removal

My right rear cv seems to have developed a tick when below 30mph. I have a new bearing hub to install to. Any advise on how to remove them is appreciated.

My search came up with only a few front cv shafts going bad. I didn't find any sort of diy on the rears. I replaced my front wheel bearings, Hopefully the rears are easier. I'm a little concerned about pulling the axle out of the diff, not entirely sure where to grab and yank.

Thanks, Mike

Old 11-22-22, 07:58 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 325 Posts

Back in 2020 I purchased a used oem cv axle for $40 on ebay. Last month the slight tick turned into a loud consistent tick. I finally got around to installing it today. How do you like that for procrastination!

I couldn't find any tutorials for removing the rear cv axles. Hopefully this helps someone. If you have a shop willing to replace one for 300 hundred dollars in labor I think it is worth it. Keep in mind you'll also need an alignment.

Remove the axle nut before you start

1. Disconnect the sway bar link ( top only)
2. Remove shock nut and slid shock off hub.
3. Remove all control arm bolts and nuts ( inside joints only) . I left the arms attached to the hub.

The job might be easier with the control arms disconnected at the hub. I've found removing control arms from the hub can be a challenge, especially while working on the floor. For me the inner control arm joints with a slide through bolt always seem to slide right out without a fight.

If you move the hub to the position in the pictures you may be able to slide the cv out. In my case I needed about 1" more clearance. I ended up removing the brake caliper and brake disc. This lightened things up just enough for me to force the axle out.

Once free I yanked on the axle with a chain and bfh. After a few hits the axle had slid out of the differential roughly an inch. I pulled it out by hand the rest of the way.

Always some sort of fight...
In the process of forcing the axle out I stretched the parking brake cable a little too much. This caused the brake shoe to catch on my brake disc as I was removing it. The spring which holds the shoe on came apart. When I was finished installing the cv axle I reassembled the shoe and spring. I adjusted the shoes so they wouldn't drag when assembled. The car is driving fine. No more clicky.

For anyone else that attempts this I'd recommend removing the parking brake cable. Has anyone ever removed the parking brake cable from the brake assembly? I'm wondering how difficult it is.

At this point I realized this was going to be somewhat challenging.

I have a lot disconnected in there.

I felt relieved simply getting the axle out of the hub. Kitty litter box came in handy

I've removed a few cv axles this way. I wrap the end of the chain on my big yellow hammer. Then swing away!

It is out!

Who designed this thing! This spring pin fell out onto the floor and has no access. I fed kite string through the hole.

Then I used hot glue to attach the pin to the string. I was able to coax the pin back into the hole with this method.

This is not my hub. Just an example of what the spring looks like when assembled. The pin is in the center holding it together.

Last edited by miket000; 11-22-22 at 08:03 PM.