LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 Navigation Freezes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 11:27 AM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2007 Navigation Freezes

Hello all:

Recently my navigation has been freezing up on a consistent basis. It appears as if the GPS is still working; however, the map won't fully display. At first, it wouldn't display anything under a quarter mile; now I see no map at all. Today it was actually locked up and flickering.

Anybody else encounter this issue? I'm thinking that it needs to be reinstalled; however, I'm not going to use it for navigation. I do like having access to a map though when using the phone isn't an option.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-20, 10:32 AM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 2007 and my navigation screen would not load unless I rebooted the system by disconnecting the battery. Apparently, the navigation system utilizes the hard disk drive in the car. These drives do fail, as did mine, and they have to be replaced. I had mine done by The Lexus dealer in December 2018. I think the total bill was about $1300. It’s a dealer only item. I’m inherently cheap, and I couldn’t find an economical solution. The navigation system in the car is terrible, and the 2007 map makes it even worse. I do like seeing a functional map while I’m driving though, and that’s why I spent the money to fix the hard drive.
Good luck.
Old 04-05-20, 10:34 AM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by Outofspec
I have a 2007 and my navigation screen would not load unless I rebooted the system by disconnecting the battery. Apparently, the navigation system utilizes the hard disk drive in the car. These drives do fail, as did mine, and they have to be replaced. I had mine done by The Lexus dealer in December 2018. I think the total bill was about $1300. It’s a dealer only item. I’m inherently cheap, and I couldn’t find an economical solution. The navigation system in the car is terrible, and the 2007 map makes it even worse. I do like seeing a functional map while I’m driving though, and that’s why I spent the money to fix the hard drive.
Good luck.
same here but 1,300? Jeez. The hard drive plays music fine, maybe the maps need to be updated / Reloaded?
Old 04-05-20, 11:04 AM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

I know; it sucks. Maybe you can get by with e reload, but that’s not cheap either. I looked into that as well. After a lot of research on this forum, it looks like you can only get that done at the dealer, and they want around $350 for that service. Of course, you get the newer map package, if it works. When I got my new hard drive installed at the dealer, it comes with the navigation installed on the drive. You would think that if you spent $900 on a new hard drive it would come with the latest maps; but think again. My new hard drive from 2018 is loaded with the 2007 maps.
Old 04-05-20, 11:06 AM
CRSO
Driver

I know; it sucks. Maybe you can get by with e reload, but that’s not cheap either. I looked into that as well. After a lot of research on this forum, it looks like you can only get that done at the dealer, and they want around $350 for that service. Of course, you get the newer map package, if it works. When I got my new hard drive installed at the dealer, it comes with the navigation installed on the drive. You would think that if you spent $900 on a new hard drive it would come with the latest maps; but think again. My new hard drive from 2018 is loaded with the 2007 maps.
that it just crazy; there has to be a better way... I’m sure it’s just a 3.5” or 2.5” HDD and we could load the software and maps if someone has the disc. If I did, I’d share it with others...
Old 04-05-20, 11:25 AM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

It is just a heavy duty HDD. In my research I read a lot of posts about people, apparently a lot smarter than me, trying to come up with a solution, but none of the posts ever recorded anyone ever reaching a solution. IIRC, the disk formatting and software is all proprietary. Even the super techie guys that were trying to port format and software over we’re hitting a dead end.
It would be cool if you could figure it out as all the HDD’s will eventually fail.
Old 04-05-20, 11:45 AM
CRSO
Driver

It is just a heavy duty HDD. In my research I read a lot of posts about people, apparently a lot smarter than me, trying to come up with a solution, but none of the posts ever recorded anyone ever reaching a solution. IIRC, the disk formatting and software is all proprietary. Even the super techie guys that were trying to port format and software over we’re hitting a dead end.
It would be cool if you could figure it out as all the HDD’s will eventually fail.
interesting. ... I’ll do some research!