LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on a 2014 LS460 F Sport AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 07:24 PM
Blackbox00
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Thoughts on a 2014 LS460 F Sport AWD

Does anyone have thoughts on the reliability of higher km LS460's in the 2013+ range?

I plan on owning this vehicle for the next 10 years at least (i drive 8,000 to 10,000km per year)

I've decided that instead of buying a low km (40,000km / 24855 miles) 2016 LS460 AWD (non f sport) for $50,000.
I would save the 15k and buy the 2014 LS460 F-Sport AWD (155,000km / 96312 miles) for $35,000 to spend on the air suspension if it were to malfunction.

The 2016 and 2014 have all their services done (with service records from beginning to end)

List of things being done to get the sale - 2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport AWD
Front glass, side glass (cracked)
Brakes and Rotors / Sensors
They're putting new springs inside of the cup holder cover (spring seemed weak)
Touch up paint, and FULL power polish over the entire car.
Paint less dent removal to remove a couple dents
No fluids other than oil change need to be changed for the next 30,000 km guaranteed.

Thanks for your inputs !

Last edited by Blackbox00; 04-09-20 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-10-20, 01:52 AM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe I would lean towards the 2016. These cars seem to be good for a couple hundred thousand miles easily but starting off with 96K sounds like a lot for a $40K car I wanted to keep for 10 years. Sounds like the 2014 wasn't babied much by the previous owner, don't know about the 2016. Also, I expect the insurance will be higher on the F-Sport but I have no idea how much. I too am looking for a clean 2013+ but I would like the miles to be 65K or less. Personally, I will steer clear of the F-sports and RWD. I am more interested in the equipment, color (no black) and condition. I will also try to avoid the air shocks which sound like certain trouble for a little extra comfort. Mark Levinson Sound, and Soft Close Doors (both of which I have on my 2007) are something I would pay more for.
Old 04-10-20, 03:04 PM
Blackbox00
Driver School Candidate

It's $35k all in (tax already included) (25,080 USD). I wouldn't even consider it if it were $40,000. But because they're doing all these other things to make it pristine for me before it leaves the door. The only gripe here is that it's black (they're power polishing it) and it's 96k miles (but i'm also considering the lexus reliability). The fluids and such are already changed and good. I like the F-sport for the grille, and i am suspecting that if the air suspension goes, i can still afford the change with the 15k saving, on google it says that the air suspension normally goes after 10 years. It's got the Mark Levinson, the interior is in pretty good condition, with no punctures in the leather anywhere, just some wear on the shifter. It was driven by a real estate agent. If I were to get the 2016 and the air suspension goes, I would be sorely disappointed because the air shocks are not cheap.

Should i just consider another vehicle with lower kms? I really wanted the prestigious and luxurious big sedan look of the LS

Last edited by Blackbox00; 04-10-20 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adding information
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (04-10-20)
Old 04-10-20, 03:57 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok, I just bought 2013 F-Sport in Las Vegas, Nevada last November, it had 51,000 miles on the clock, it is certified car (fully warranted for two years) including 4 services complimentary and will cover the 60k miles service which is a major one. The car is red color and black interior. I love it so smooth and if you desire sportiness, it is a press of a button and you are on sport plus. Driving it in comfort mode is just like any LS460 since the Air Suspension softens.

I had one issue with the trunk locking mechanism and it was replaced under warranty, but now it has only 55k miles. Beautiful car and I enjoy driving it very much, quick as well and very quite. Leather could be a bit better as it is showing some wear but nothing serious. It is a fine car and fun to drive considering that I am coming from a 2015 Porsche 911 GTS.

Oh I paid $29,000 to purchase from a Lexus dealer and they gave me $3000 more on my trade in than what Carmax offered me.

Last edited by ragabnh; 04-11-20 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ragabnh:
Chaos236 (04-10-20), LexNYC83 (04-11-20)
Old 04-11-20, 11:59 AM
Blackbox00
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, if it was 51,000 miles for $29,000 USD i would take it but i have to pay like $36,000 USD for the 1 model up and it's not an F sport. $50,000 CAD ($36,000 USD)for the lower km one. I wish i could buy the car but for value, i think i'm going to just buy a 2017 RX350 white luxury package for $25100USD
Old 04-12-20, 02:20 AM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't want you to give up on the 460 if that is what you want, in any configuration it is a great car. I was thinking your prices were pre-tax and closer to U.S. dollars. I think the F-Sport would be great fun but I rarely drive my LS very aggressive anyway and the power is the same in both trims. Another potential f-sport problem area is apparently the Brembo brakes, I guess they can be noisy? The F-Sport also comes with lower profile 19" wheels/tires which I wouldn't want. I really love my 2007 LS and at some point, I will upgrade to a 2013+ at some point so go for what you want!

The RX is also a great car, we have a 2013 that has been completely trouble-free for 86K miles so far. It is very comfortable but not nearly as comfortable as the LS, especially on road trips. I would recommend the navigation-equipped level as it includes a number of nice options which sounds like what you are looking at. $25k sounds like a good price depending on miles and the RX doesn't require premium gas!
Old 04-19-20, 04:06 AM
Blackbox00
Driver School Candidate

In the end I decided against the LS460 because of high kms. I'm afraid that each shock can be up to $5000/shock. According to repairpal. I can't guarantee that I will want to fix it down the road even with Lexus reliability. I could see that airshocks could go bad because of the seals wearing out by time instead of by kms. According to Google, average airshocks lifespan go bad after 10 years. In Canada we have very cold and very hot climates, I'm sure that affects the lifespan of the vehicle itself. I'm looking into getting a GX460 now for the Canadian winter's.
Old 04-19-20, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

$5,000 a shock? LOL no, $1,000 a shock yes. In any event that concerned is solved by choosing an LS460 without air suspension.

It all goes back to what is more important to you, the quality and attributes of the vehicle or the cost of maintaining it? The LS is a significantly better vehicle than the RX, the difference in solidity and quality is obvious just from opening the door. BUT, the LS is more complex ad sophisticated and will no doubt be more expensive to maintain than the RX.

Being accustomed to the LS, it would be very hard for me to go to an ES or RX etc
Old 04-19-20, 03:29 PM
Blackbox00
Driver School Candidate

Oh that's not very expensive at all. It says on repairpal "3900 US" to repair the suspension. On Range rover to repair the shocks it's $8k and up. Maybe i will look back into getting an LS460 than. I'm honestly going to put mud truck tires and turn it into a rugged batmobile, that's my plan on any SUV or car I'm going to get.

I'm also accustomed like this. I came from IS as a 17 year old kid, to ISF, to GS460. Now there's no way i'm getting anything lower than a GS or GX.
It's either GS350, LS460, or LX570, GX460. No where to go but up.
Old 04-19-20, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah this is not a Range Rover lol. And you can convert to coils if the air suspension goes bad, or like I said just look for one without it. F Sports all have it but most of the non F Sports don't.
The following users liked this post:
JffGRY706 (04-19-20)
Old 04-19-20, 05:13 PM
Blackbox00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah this is not a Range Rover lol. And you can convert to coils if the air suspension goes bad, or like I said just look for one without it. F Sports all have it but most of the non F Sports don't.
The conversion is aftermarket? I didn't think any of the LS460's come with normal coils. In Canada, it's rare to find LS460's and especially rare to find mods in cars unless you're looking at JDM old schoolers.

I'm coming from a Mercedes E63 520hp so I do like a sportier feel although the E63 is just downright dangerous for RWD.
I would not recommend anyone with teenage kids to share a muscle sports car like the E63 without first letting them launch on an empty highway so that they understand and feel the amount of power they are laying down.

F sport grill just looks nicer and I really enjoyed it in Sport+ mode (I honestly don't need much power, but I do enjoy that when and if I decide to access the power, it's there in an instant).
Old 04-19-20, 05:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbox00
Oh that's not very expensive at all. It says on repairpal "3900 US" to repair the suspension. On Range rover to repair the shocks it's $8k and up. Maybe i will look back into getting an LS460 than. I'm honestly going to put mud truck tires and turn it into a rugged batmobile, that's my plan on any SUV or car I'm going to get.

I'm also accustomed like this. I came from IS as a 17 year old kid, to ISF, to GS460. Now there's no way i'm getting anything lower than a GS or GX.
It's either GS350, LS460, or LX570, GX460. No where to go but up.
Hopefully you'll find something you like. Can't make a bad choice with Lexus as far as RWD. But keep in mind though, our American friends have a huge repair infrastructure. Can't say the same for Alberta, which is practically the repair ripoff capital of canada. Some of that advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Was going to ask, where would you go for repairs for a Lexus, especially an air ride car? Walk into a Toyota dealership in canada/alberta and you're going to pay Lexus repair rates. I know this from experience.

If you're ok with $6K CAD on a LS air suspension fix, that's perfectly fine. It's going to be $2K CAD for timing belt and water pump on a V8 engine on the trucks.
Old 04-19-20, 07:47 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The conversion is aftermarket? I didn't think any of the LS460's come with normal coils. In Canada, it's rare to find LS460's and especially rare to find mods in cars unless you're looking at JDM old schoolers.

I'm coming from a Mercedes E63 520hp so I do like a sportier feel although the E63 is just downright dangerous for RWD.
I would not recommend anyone with teenage kids to share a muscle sports car like the E63 without first letting them launch on an empty highway so that they understand and feel the amount of power they are laying down.

F sport grill just looks nicer and I really enjoyed it in Sport+ mode (I honestly don't need much power, but I do enjoy that when and if I decide to access the power, it's there in an instant).
As Mentioned by "SW17LS", if Air Suspension does go bad on your LS460 it can always be converted into normal traditional coils/springs.
It can be swapped without any customization. All you would need to do is unplug Air compressor.

I've done this years ago on my 05 LS430 Ultra lux that had Air Suspension.
Don't let Air Suspension deter you from buying the car you want.
Old 04-19-20, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They definitely come on a non air suspension, I owned one

Perhaps not in Canada though, but I bet they do.
Old 04-20-20, 08:38 PM
Blackbox00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MattyG
Hopefully you'll find something you like. Can't make a bad choice with Lexus as far as RWD. But keep in mind though, our American friends have a huge repair infrastructure. Can't say the same for Alberta, which is practically the repair ripoff capital of canada. Some of that advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Was going to ask, where would you go for repairs for a Lexus, especially an air ride car? Walk into a Toyota dealership in canada/alberta and you're going to pay Lexus repair rates. I know this from experience.

If you're ok with $6K CAD on a LS air suspension fix, that's perfectly fine. It's going to be $2K CAD for timing belt and water pump on a V8 engine on the trucks.
I absolutely agree. In Alberta, you really only have a few options when it comes down to car repair. It's quite expensive and I guess I was right when I threw it around the $8,000 ball park.
I honestly wouldn't know where to go except the dealership or the "premium Toyota / Lexus shops" at a lower rate. They are still quite expensive.

I'm honestly not okay with fixing it with $6k and 2K + 2k for timing belt with water pump. I'd rather put that type of money in my stock portfolio and sit on consolidation tactics right now.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 2014 LS460 F Sport AWD