LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 08:52 PM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Hesitation

So, I'm yet another member of the hesitation gang. My 07 LS460 with 111,000 miles has begun to exhibit the hesitation problem more and more frequently now than ever before. In the past, you could simply pull over and restart the car and it would go away. I eventually deduced it was an oil pressure related issue that had something to do with the VVTi. I began running Mobil-1 Synthetic (0W-40) and it was great. My mechanic recently put in 0W-20 as it was all he had but that is what the factory recommends after all. The issue was exceptionally bad today. I took it for test runs on the highway after noticing the oil was low, I brimmed it and the problem went away. That was of course until it started again. The car is overfilled with oil and I am considering draining it but it burns anyways. I was going to contact Lexus USA and see if it had anything to do with a possible software update but I see others have tried so and that too has failed. The trans was flushed around 10k ago and the air filters are clean. I noticed the transmission performs better in sequential mode as opposed to D. I suspect that is because "Drive" uses a computer learning system to adapt to the driver's foot, that gets confused overtime, and "Sport" or "Sequential" (when you slap the stick left into manual mode) uses a pre-programmed shift logic that is non-adaptive. Snow mode makes it much smoother and a bit slower and power mode one time caused the transmission to feel like it had grenaded. It got stuck in gear and I had to pull over immediately and shut down the vehicle and let it cool. That exact scenario has never occurred since then, thank god. That was over a year ago. But I digress, I have pulled the battery cables and let the ECU reset and that remedied the hesitation for a while. I am pretty savvy with computers and suspect that this is some fluke electrical issue that's just baked into the DNA of this car and definitely has something to do with the miles of wiring, sensors everywhere and next-gen tech debuted in 06. This is seriously my favorite car EVER; the way it looks, drives, the attention to detail, the build quality, the efficiency, and well, it's a Lexus. I don't think I can drive another car and will probably have an LS until the day I die, but when stuff like this happens it makes me shake my head and think about selling, especially when there is no clear problem/solution. I am going to do more experimenting tomorrow and I will reconvene. For now, I will skip the software update and may try the fuel cleaner, but I do a nice Italian tune up whenever I get the chance. Curious to hear what other 460 owners have to say. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-15-20, 05:15 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Overfilling the oil is a definite problem. I would drain the excess rather than waiting for it to burn off.

There have been threads here where people have noticed hesitation, or lack of normal acceleration, right after an oil change, but this disappeared after a short time.
Old 04-17-20, 04:53 AM
Thegamemhb
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Same thing i noticed yesterday i changed my oil and started feeling hesitations and it went away today
Old 04-23-20, 01:19 PM
GhostfaceK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusgxman
So, I'm yet another member of the hesitation gang. My 07 LS460 with 111,000 miles has begun to exhibit the hesitation problem more and more frequently now than ever before. In the past, you could simply pull over and restart the car and it would go away. I eventually deduced it was an oil pressure related issue that had something to do with the VVTi. I began running Mobil-1 Synthetic (0W-40) and it was great. My mechanic recently put in 0W-20 as it was all he had but that is what the factory recommends after all. The issue was exceptionally bad today. I took it for test runs on the highway after noticing the oil was low, I brimmed it and the problem went away. That was of course until it started again. The car is overfilled with oil and I am considering draining it but it burns anyways. I was going to contact Lexus USA and see if it had anything to do with a possible software update but I see others have tried so and that too has failed. The trans was flushed around 10k ago and the air filters are clean. I noticed the transmission performs better in sequential mode as opposed to D. I suspect that is because "Drive" uses a computer learning system to adapt to the driver's foot, that gets confused overtime, and "Sport" or "Sequential" (when you slap the stick left into manual mode) uses a pre-programmed shift logic that is non-adaptive. Snow mode makes it much smoother and a bit slower and power mode one time caused the transmission to feel like it had grenaded. It got stuck in gear and I had to pull over immediately and shut down the vehicle and let it cool. That exact scenario has never occurred since then, thank god. That was over a year ago. But I digress, I have pulled the battery cables and let the ECU reset and that remedied the hesitation for a while. I am pretty savvy with computers and suspect that this is some fluke electrical issue that's just baked into the DNA of this car and definitely has something to do with the miles of wiring, sensors everywhere and next-gen tech debuted in 06. This is seriously my favorite car EVER; the way it looks, drives, the attention to detail, the build quality, the efficiency, and well, it's a Lexus. I don't think I can drive another car and will probably have an LS until the day I die, but when stuff like this happens it makes me shake my head and think about selling, especially when there is no clear problem/solution. I am going to do more experimenting tomorrow and I will reconvene. For now, I will skip the software update and may try the fuel cleaner, but I do a nice Italian tune up whenever I get the chance. Curious to hear what other 460 owners have to say. Thanks everyone!
i think my 430 has an incorrect fluid level in it. maybe our 460 have lost some trans fluid over time? when my 430 messes up and i can reset the battery and it resets the transmission