LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'13 460 F-Sport vs '10 600h

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 04:19 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuja

My last reservation is on the fact it's a 2010 car - would it still be at risk for the well-known early LS issues, such as the wind noise problem, the brake actuator, the weaker control arms? Or were they mostly fixed by the 2010 facelift?
Wind noise is not a general issue on 2010 models. Although not widespread, brake actuator problems run all the way to the end of the 4th generation. At least member here had his go bad on his 2017 while it was still under warranty.

There seems to be different opinions on the subject of control arms. Some view it as less of a concern for cars built starting late in the MY 2010 production run. Others say all 2010s are better than 2008 and 2009 models. Still others see 2011 and 2012 cars as superior in this regard. Regardless, the 600 is a extremely heavy car and that weight has to have some bearing on control arm longevity.

My 600 is new to me, but its service history reflects no problem thus far in any of these areas through 81,000 miles. Does that mean they won't crop up down the road or that they are (or soon will be) due? It's a roll of the dice, IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
Kuja (04-19-20)
Old 04-19-20, 06:19 AM
hitsofmiss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was verifying service history of the 460 & 600hl listings I was considering about a year back, and most were always repaired at Lexus, I noticed many (even 2008 models) had never fixed those issues. That means they never encountered the problem or was not even recommended by Lexus Service Technician. If I remember it correctly over 80% 460 & over 90% never had that issue.

Like you, it made me nervous at that time since it was going to be my most expensive MSRP car. However after periodically servicing my 2010 460 F-Sport at Lexus in the past 16 months & not experiencing it so far, I am starting to believe that this issue is more overblown than it really is. IMHO.

I’m not sure how overblown concerns around battery replacement are as those were also not reported. As that is another surprise element you have, which 460 does not.

Last edited by hitsofmiss; 04-19-20 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-19-20, 07:47 AM
TXLS430
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kuja, mind if I ask what year S550 you giving up? How many miles on the vehicle? What type of issues have you had with it?
Old 04-19-20, 11:36 AM
Kuja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for the replies, really useful information!

Originally Posted by hitsofmiss
All the best. And please let us know how much you end-up paying.
At current conversion rates, should be around $21,500, but I won't be able to pick it up until the current lockdown restrictions ease up.

Originally Posted by TXLS430
Kuja, mind if I ask what year S550 you giving up? How many miles on the vehicle? What type of issues have you had with it?
This is gonna be a long tangent, aha... 2007, fully loaded, only 20,000 miles when I got it last year, and I didn't have the chance to put all that many more on it. It got written off last month, unfortunately.

As for issues, well, it never left me stranded, but a lot of niggling and frustrating things, many of which were intermittent and thus hard to diagnose.
Some switches were sticky, needed replacing, and the driver's seat adjustment stopped working properly, that proved to be a difficult problem to trace and ended up costing about $3000 due the amount of troubleshooting and parts having to come from Germany. It would occasionally lose all electrical power for a few seconds whilst driving, causing the infotainment to reset, flashing up ABS/ESP inoperative errors, killing the air-con, etc. That was unsettling, and also just about impossible to diagnose as it was so completely random, but replacing both batteries with new premium ones didn't solve it. Parking sensors would send loud 'inoperative' failure sounds when driving around town, then fix themselves a moment later. One of the door mirrors would occasionally not extend after being folded and had to be manually pushed. The passenger-side dynamic seat sometimes felt over-inflated, as if the air pockets weren't releasing properly, and at one point the pneumatics stopped working altogether, though that at least was traced to simply a pipe beneath the seat which had worked loose.

The main thing, though, was that because of all that, it just felt fragile when I was driving it, I was always aware in the back of my mind of the potential for something new to break, always listening for a weird noise that might herald another four-figure bill. It rather spoiled the enjoyment of driving what was otherwise a lovely car. I was aware of tales of the ABC suspension failing expensively and then never being 'right' again after being repaired, leaving it with a permanently hard ride. I knew if one of the air pockets in those dynamic seats developed a leak, as they tend to with age, it would likely knock out the pneumatics again and the seat would need to be stripped down to get to it, plus the difficulty of figuring out just which one was faulty. Not long before the crash which totalled it, there was an intermittent high-frequency chirping noise coming from the nearside rear suspension, too.

Despite all this, I was planning to keep it for a while; I'd put a lot of time and money into bringing it as close to perfection as I could, and besides, I knew it'd be difficult to sell for a decent price. Sunk cost fallacy? Perhaps!
But after it got written off, I didn't really want to repeat the experience and buy another one, so I shifted my attention towards Lexus and the LS instead.
Old 04-21-20, 12:37 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

The ‘10 600 Handles very poorly compared to the ‘13 Ls
Old 04-23-20, 10:38 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

F-Sport ALL THE WAY!