LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Time to Cash Out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 05:32 AM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I would tend to agree with those who recommend you repair the car at an indy.

I don't know TN laws, but in MA if you buy a new, or newer car, there is sales tax, and here we have yearly excise tax will will probably be more on a newer car, and then add to that finance charges on the new car. When you add those costs into the equation, keeping and repairing the car might be the best way to go, financially as well as quality enjoyment of the car.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (06-04-20)
Old 06-04-20, 07:10 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I would tend to agree with those who recommend you repair the car at an indy.

I don't know TN laws, but in MA if you buy a new, or newer car, there is sales tax, and here we have yearly excise tax will will probably be more on a newer car, and then add to that finance charges on the new car. When you add those costs into the equation, keeping and repairing the car might be the best way to go, financially as well as quality enjoyment of the car.
You certainly pay sales tax here. Renewing plates or getting new ones are standard price no matter the car. Tennessee is cool in that there's no state tax and car licensing is reasonable.
Old 06-04-20, 08:10 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

That helps explain why people are migrating from my state (Illinois) to Tennessee!
Old 06-04-20, 09:58 AM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
That helps explain why people are migrating from my state (Illinois) to Tennessee!
If you think Illinois Is bad try Iowa !
NotFasty (06-04-20)
Old 06-04-20, 01:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
You certainly pay sales tax here. Renewing plates or getting new ones are standard price no matter the car. Tennessee is cool in that there's no state tax and car licensing is reasonable.
That's interesting. Sometimes my wife and I think about would we move somewhere with a milder winter. We like FL but would never live there. Some of out friends have moved there because of no income tax, and incredibly there is no car inspection.

Last Nov. we spent two days in Nashville and thoroughly enjoyed the city. I had no idea they did not have an income tax. What are property taxes like?

(runnyeggs, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread on this since it's not LS460 related. I'll keep it on track. )
Old 06-05-20, 07:57 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
That's interesting. Sometimes my wife and I think about would we move somewhere with a milder winter. We like FL but would never live there. Some of out friends have moved there because of no income tax, and incredibly there is no car inspection.

Last Nov. we spent two days in Nashville and thoroughly enjoyed the city. I had no idea they did not have an income tax. What are property taxes like?

(runnyeggs, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread on this since it's not LS460 related. I'll keep it on track. )
Yes Nashville is an interesting city. Personally I wouldn't live there because it has gotten way out of control. But it is a nice place with the foothills and such. They actually get more snow and cold than we do(we rarely get snow). Memphis has a 9.75% sales tax. That is the worst of it. Property is still reasonable even though prices have gone up like everywhere. You can live incredibly well here with a minimal cash flow. For me and my family, it's a great place to be. Actually, we were just de-annexed so I'm not sure if we'll still be called Memphis after next year. I guess we will. In any event, if Elvis could call Memphis home, so can I. Thank you, thank you very much! lol
Old 06-05-20, 09:47 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

fix the issues and continue to enjoy a great car. Find a lexus or toyota mechanic that does side work. They can get you parts or you can get your own and they will be fair on labor.
Old 06-05-20, 10:58 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

You should have taken that $7k offer and ran away. As a trade it would cut down your sales tax on the replacement vehicle so even more value. Your car in it's current state is not suitable for sale a at dealership. It will be shipped to an auction and probably sold for $3000-$4000

I sold this 2008 beauty for $12,800, Sept 2019. Mine had no issues and 100K miles. I had the comfort plus package with rear reclining seats. I did the majority of the work myself but there was always that lingering fear of the brake actuator failing and the instant $3K+ bill from the dealer to fix it. I decided to sell it but ONLY if I got near my reserve price. Someone bit and the rest is history. I do have some regrets selling her but I wanted to be carefree of major car repairs and bought a 2006 Toyota Camry V6 with 98K miles. It has been such a good car that we ended up buying another one for the household! Dirt cheap quality aftermarket parts and they are easy to work on myself and any mechanic can do the work. I've decided to take a break from my car hobby so no "nice" cars for now.

The following 2 users liked this post by JLAWS:
dlbuckls10 (06-05-20), swfla (06-05-20)
Old 06-07-20, 01:24 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

The early model (07-09) 460's are aging horribly, ive been pretty silent about it but this forum looks' very similar to the german forums now

Mostly problem threads, regret threads, repeat issue threads etc...

No one is buying them here in Ontario, they sit on dealer lots for years, mine has been for sale for nearly 2 years , its a low mileage L and im sitting here fiddling my thumbs.

I think for a buyer its a great value to pick one up for cheap, (im trying to get my younger brother into one) but for us guys who purchased it years ago when the values were higher, its a tough spot to be in.

Im actually starting to hate my car, and resent ever buying it, it has been fairly good to me with only control arms and brakes needing repair, but its like having a guest that wont go home, its overstayed its welcome by nearly two years now and I flat out want it gone.

Old 06-07-20, 06:17 AM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

The early model (07-09) 460's are aging horribly,[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
-----------------------------

speak for yourself only

my 07 continues to be beautiful inside and out, and a joy to drive

I have owned Mercedes and BMW's, any luxury car like the 460 requires some expensive replacement, you know that going in so this is no surprise
eclipse641 (06-07-20)
Old 06-07-20, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
The early model (07-09) 460's are aging horribly, ive been pretty silent about it but this forum looks' very similar to the german forums now

Mostly problem threads, regret threads, repeat issue threads etc...
That hasn't been my experience at all reading the same forum you are, but again the early ones are getting pretty old. Of course there are going to be way more threads about repairs and issues. Your perception comes from your attitude.

Im actually starting to hate my car, and resent ever buying it, it has been fairly good to me with only control arms and brakes needing repair, but its like having a guest that wont go home, its overstayed its welcome by nearly two years now and I flat out want it gone.
Then get rid of it. If its not selling its overpriced. Reduce the price and it will sell. Trade it into a dealership or something.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
BruceAB (06-08-20), TRS (06-21-20)
Old 06-07-20, 09:43 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Agreed, it's 13 years old, any car that age will have repairs on worn parts. Engine and transmission still good? You're asking too much. It doesn't matter what you think it's worth, it's the buyers that determine it's value. Drop the price and you'll be happy it's gone.
Old 06-07-20, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As someone who prices things for people and sells those things for them I can tell you, its always the price. If an item were on fire it would sell for the right price, and price cures all objections.
Old 06-07-20, 02:17 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
The early model (07-09) 460's are aging horribly,
-----------------------------

speak for yourself only

my 07 continues to be beautiful inside and out, and a joy to drive

I have owned Mercedes and BMW's, any luxury car like the 460 requires some expensive replacement, you know that going in so this is no surprise
Im speaking for the many people who are disappointed with the issues popping up on their vehicles , not just me.

and we cant ignore the used car market, the values are sinking and I cant comment in the states but here in Canada there is very little demand for the 07-09's , again great time for a buyer, not a good time for us guys who have owned them for a few years.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That hasn't been my experience at all reading the same forum you are, but again the early ones are getting pretty old. Of course there are going to be way more threads about repairs and issues. Your perception comes from your attitude.

Then get rid of it. If its not selling its overpriced. Reduce the price and it will sell. Trade it into a dealership or something.

Look at the forum today , air suspension, sir suspension, control arm, control arm, brake actuator, got hosed for repairs, thinking of selling etc...etc...., theres no denying there are a lot more problem threads now then there used to be.

They are getting old and its expected but I think this is just the beginning, its going to get worse from here. I have a feeling the 2013's wont be as bad, as they probably fixed a lot of the known issues by then.

Regarding the sale of the car, no ones buying them here, might be different in the states but its not just mine , the market here does not like these cars at all, the same ones are for sale month after month, year after year, especially at the dealers.

My car is a low mileage L, it is one of only 3 low mileage L's I can see across Canada and im the lowest priced one , the other two are also an 07 and mine is an 08. If I had some serious offers , cash in hand, sure id work with them, but they aren't coming. I even offered to do trades + cash for their old lexus, or whatever they may have, and NOTHING.

Ive also had it listed here in the forums for like $13k usd with only 70 000 miles , its an American car so importing it back to the usa is easy, and very little interest here either.

Im already going to lose around $10 000 in depreciation , not including the money ive wasted on a failed control arm repair (PSB bushings failed in 2 months)

So sure I could list it for even less but im not going to do that , I will grudgingly drive it until the right buyer comes along , im already priced aggressively.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 06-07-20 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Look at the forum today , air suspension, sir suspension, control arm, control arm, brake actuator, got hosed for repairs, thinking of selling etc...etc...., theres no denying there are a lot more problem threads now then there used to be.
Of course there are, the cars are getting older. There will be even more as they get even older too. Its not unusual, go into the other forums with older model Lexuses its the same way.

They are getting old and its expected but I think this is just the beginning, its going to get worse from here. I have a feeling the 2013's wont be as bad, as they probably fixed a lot of the known issues by then.
Time moves forward at a steady rate, so yes they will get older and have more problems...as will all cars. 2013+ cars will be the same way once they too become 10-13 years old.

The only way it would get better is if suddenly time moved the other direction, which isn't likely.

My car is a low mileage L, it is one of only 3 low mileage L's I can see across Canada and im the lowest priced one , the other two are also an 07 and mine is an 08. If I had some serious offers , cash in hand, sure id work with them, but they aren't coming. I even offered to do trades + cash for their old lexus, or whatever they may have, and NOTHING.

Ive also had it listed here in the forums for like $13k usd , its an American car so importing it back to the usa is easy, and very little interest here either.
Reduce the price. $13,000 is a lot of money for a 13 year old car.

Im already going to lose around $10 000 in depreciation , not including the money ive wasted on a failed control arm repair (PSB bushings failed in 2 months)
Which has zero bearing on its market value. I have a saying I use with sellers, "you can't expect the buyer to finance your bad investment"

So sure I could list it for even less but im not going to do that , I will grudgingly drive it until the right buyer comes along , im already priced aggressively.
Then you aren't going to sell it, so I would suggest you change your attitude about it and enjoy it. Can't say you're priced aggressively if its been for sale for 2 years and nobody has made you an offer...its overpriced.

Quick Reply: Time to Cash Out?