LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'07 LS 460 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20 | 04:46 PM
rick3242
Pit Crew

I know you tested the battery but, it sounds like the battery to me.
The following users liked this post:
Outofspec (04-20-20)
Old 04-20-20 | 05:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swfla
Does that fuse control/explain lack of instrument warning lights?
No but you always want to isolate things one at a time in order of importance to allowing the engine to function
Old 04-20-20 | 05:44 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Originally Posted by rick3242
I know you tested the battery but, it sounds like the battery to me.
Same here. And even if it isn't the battery, it's one of the cheapest possible fixes you're looking at, so why not start with a new one?
Old 04-20-20 | 06:09 PM
MrWalleye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flashy5
I had the same issue and it turned out to be the starter for me.
Did you not have any dash indicator lights?
Old 04-20-20 | 06:17 PM
MrWalleye
Driver School Candidate

I will go through all the fuses tomorrow I went through most of them were the starter relay is and none were blown there. Only dash light I ever see is when the door is open other than that nothing else. Tried TechStream and did not detect car CPU when connected.

Last edited by MrWalleye; 04-20-20 at 06:30 PM. Reason: attachment
Old 04-20-20 | 07:18 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Glad you tried Techstream. Battery tested good and is only 14 months old. I think that's been eliminated as the issue. You said you jumped the started and got the engine to turn, so the starter is OK. Between no dash warning lights and no cpu/ecu detected, I'm thinking the main cpu/ecu fuse is worth looking at. I believe there are several fuses under the hood, passenger side that are marked or related to ecu. One box is standard fuses that burn out and the other box contains large cube-like and are resettable, that requires you remove them and give them 15 minutes to reset before reinstalling. Have your morning coffee and take an hour to visually check fuses, even sniff them and look for signs of overheat or arcing as well as using a multimeter tester. As mentioned earlier, if you find a bad one, "borrow" a good one from an unimportant system and see if that gives you lights on dash and/or turns engine over. I'm hoping that's the problem and it doesn't blow again. When a fuse blows, often there's a reason for it and that still needs to be found. Hang in there , you're actually making progress and not putting out any hard earned money yet.
Old 04-20-20 | 08:47 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

In post 12, you jumped the relay contacts and it started. Ok, that means you're missing the power to the coil of that relay. That means that you need the wiring diagram that shows you which fuses are in line with that coil circuit. Does that make sense?
Old 04-20-20 | 09:30 PM
MrWalleye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
In post 12, you jumped the relay contacts and it started. Ok, that means you're missing the power to the coil of that relay. That means that you need the wiring diagram that shows you which fuses are in line with that coil circuit. Does that make sense?
Makes sense.... I plan on checking all the fuses tomorrow afternoon under the hood and under each side of the dash. Don't know if I need to check the ones in the back driver side fender but I will review the owners manual as it has good detail of what the fuses control.
I also not only jumped the starter reply but before checked that one of the connections had constant power. Normally you could also check another connector if there was a key but this is push button so that might not be the same option in with the other connector being hot when holding in the button. I am still guess it is blow fuse going to CPU somewhere as there is no accessory lights when in accessory mode. As in the dashboard is dead no gas gauge no indicator lights no nothing other than showing the door is open
Old 04-21-20 | 08:44 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

ENTRY AND START SYSTEM > SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

[img]file:///D:/image/print.png[/img]

for Preparation Click here

PUSH-BUTTON START DESCRIPTION

Condition Power Source Mode Pattern Brake pedal not depressed, shift lever in P Each time engine switch is pushed
  1. off → on (ACC) → on (IG) → off
Brake pedal not depressed When engine switch is pushed in engine started condition
  1. Engine started → off
Brake pedal depressed, shift lever in P or N When engine switch is pushed once
  1. off → engine start
Brake pedal depressed, shift lever in P or N When engine switch is pushed in on (ACC) condition
  1. on (ACC) → engine start
Brake pedal depressed, shift lever in P or N When engine switch is pushed in on (IG) condition
  1. on (IG) → engine start
Brake pedal depressed When engine switch is pushed in engine started condition
  1. Engine started → off
  1. The push-button start uses a push-type engine switch, which the driver can operate by merely carrying the key. This system consists primarily of the main body ECU, engine switch, ID code box, steering lock ECU, key, D-ACC relay, D-IG1 relay, IG2 relay and certification ECU. The main body ECU controls the system. This function operates in cooperation with the entry and start system. The table below shows the transition of the engine switch, which depends on whether the brake pedal is depressed or released.
  2. This system has different power source mode patterns depending on the brake pedal and shift lever conditions.
    When the battery of the key or card key is low, the push-button start function can be operated by touching the key or card key to the engine switch.

FUNCTION OF COMPONENT
Components Function Engine Switch
(Transponder Key Amplifier)
  1. Transmits engine switch signal to main body ECU.
  2. Informs driver of power source mode or system abnormality with indicator light illumination.
  3. Receives ID code and transmits it to certification ECU when key or card key battery is low or affected by wave noise, etc.
Key
  1. Receives signals from oscillators and returns ID code to entry door control receiver.
Indoor Key Oscillator
  1. Receives request signal from certification ECU and forms detection area in vehicle interior.
Door Control Receiver
  1. Receives ID code from key and transmits it to certification ECU.
Main Body ECU
  1. Changes power source mode in 4 stages (off, on (ACC), on (IG), start) in accordance with state of park / neutral position switch.
  2. Controls push-button start function in accordance with signals received from switches and each ECU.
Certification ECU
  1. Certifies ID code received from entry door control receiver and transmits certification results to ID code box and steering lock ECU.
Park / Neutral Position Switch
  1. Outputs state of shift position to main body ECU.
Stop Light Switch
  1. Outputs state of brake pedal to main body ECU.
ID Code Box
  1. Receives steering unlock or engine immobiliser unset signals from certification ECU, certifies them, and transmits each unset signal to steering lock ECU or ECM.
ECM
  1. Receives engine start request signal from power source control ECU, turns ON ST relay, and starts engine.
  2. Receives signal from ID code box and performs engine ignition and fuel injection.

SYSTEM FUNCTION The electric controls of the push-button start function are described below:

Control Outline Engine Switch Control
  1. When driver operates engine switch with key in driver's possession, certification ECU starts indoor key oscillator, which transmits request signal to key. Upon receiving this signal, key transmits ID code signal to door control receiver.
  2. ID code box verifies check results received from certification ECU via LIN line and sends them to main body ECU. Based on these results, main body ECU authorizes operation of engine switch.
Diagnosis
  1. When main body ECU detects malfunction, main body ECU diagnoses and memorizes failed section.

CONSTRUCTION AND OPERATION [img]file:///D:/rm0375e/repair2/img/a109251e02.png[/img]

Engine switch indicator light condition Power Source Mode/Condition Indicator Light Condition Brake pedal released Brake pedal depressed, shift lever in P or N, key certification passed Off OFF Illuminates (green) On (ACC, IG) Illuminates (amber) Illuminates (green) Engine running OFF OFF Steering lock locked Flashes (green) for 30 seconds Flashes (green) for 30 seconds System malfunction Flashes (amber) for 15 seconds Flashes (amber) for 15 seconds Stop light switch with shift lever in P or N malfunction Flashes (green) for 15 seconds Flashes (green) for 15 seconds
  1. Engine switch:
    The engine switch consists of a momentary type switch, 3 color (amber, green, greenish white) LEDs, and transponder key amplifier.
    1. The greenish white LED is for illumination.
    2. The amber and green LEDs are for the indicator lights. The driver can check the present power source mode and whether the engine can start or not in accordance with the illumination state of the indicator light.
    3. When the main body ECU detects an abnormality in the entry and start system, it makes the amber indicator light flash. If the engine is stopped in this state, it might not be possible to restart it.
  2. Indicator light condition:
  3. Main body ECU:
    The main body ECU consists of the D-IG1 relay, D-ACC relay and IG2 relay actuation circuits and CPU.

SYSTEM NOT OPERATING NORMALLY (DUE TO KEY BATTERY DEPLETION, ELECTRICAL NOISE, ETC.) [img]file:///D:/rm0375e/repair2/img/a158346e01.png[/img]
  1. To operate the push-button start function when the key or card key battery is low or affected by wave noise, etc., touch the LEXUS mark of the key or card key to the engine switch while depressing the brake pedal with the shift lever in P or N.
  2. The main body ECU transmits a key verification request signal from the stop light switch to the certification ECU.
  3. The certification ECU does not receive an ID code response from the door control receiver, so it actuates the transponder key amplifier built into the engine switch.
  4. The transponder key amplifier outputs an engine immobiliser radio wave to the key.
  5. The key receives the radio wave, and returns a radio wave response to the transponder key amplifier.
  6. The transponder key amplifier combines the key ID codes with the radio wave response, and transmits it to the certification ECU.
  7. The certification ECU judges and verifies the ID code, and transmits a key verification OK signal to the main body ECU. The buzzer in the combination meter sounds at the same time.
  8. After the buzzer sounds, with the shift lever in P or N, if the engine switch is pressed within 10 seconds with the brake pedal not depressed, the power source mode changes to on (ACC) or on (IG), as in the normal condition.

DIAGNOSIS The main body ECU can detect malfunctions in the push-button start function when the power source mode is on (IG).
When the ECU detects a malfunction, the amber indicator light of the engine switch flashes to warn the driver. At the same time, the ECU stores the 5-digit DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) in the memory.
  1. The indicator light warning continues for 15 seconds even after the power source mode is changed to off.
  2. The DTC can be read by connecting the intelligent tester to the DLC3.
  3. The push-button start function cannot be operated if a malfunction occurs.

Old 04-21-20 | 08:47 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

DESCRIPTION

ENGINE START SYSTEM OPERATION
  1. When the engine switch is pressed with the brake pedal depressed and shift lever in P or N, the main body ECU determines that it is an engine start request.
  2. The certification ECU and other ECUs perform key verification via the LIN communication line. The engine switch indicator light illuminates in green.
  3. The main body ECU activates the D-ACC, D-IG1 and IG2 relays.
  4. The certification ECU outputs a steering UNLOCK signal. The signal is sent to the steering lock ECU via the LIN communication line.
  5. The main body ECU sends an engine start request signal to the ECM.
  6. The ECM sends an ACC cut request signal to the main body ECU.
  7. The ECM and main body ECU activate the ST cut relay.
  8. The main body ECU deactivates the D-ACC relay until the ECU detects an engine start.
  9. The ECU reactivates the D-ACC relay and turns off the engine switch indicator light.
Old 04-21-20 | 08:49 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Wryter (04-22-20)
Old 04-21-20 | 02:02 PM
MrWalleye
Driver School Candidate

OK... Went through all the fuses and none are blown. I did however get into the system with my TechStream but there is so many ECU's so were does one start? I did pulled couple codes from Electric Power Control.
B22A0 IG2 Terminal Circuit Low
B22A1 Battery Current Sensor
Now I seen these codes after I was playing around for little bit and the engine fan was running. I still no not see any acc dummy lights though.
I know I cannot read the engine ECU assuming because it is not running? What other ECU's should I be looking at?
As for starter relays I thought there was only one but there is two

Old 04-21-20 | 02:45 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

MR WALLEYE, you're doing a great job. I wish I had more suggestions for you. Computers on top of computers!
Old 04-21-20 | 02:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

No you should be able to read it if the car power is on.
Old 04-21-20 | 03:29 PM
MrWalleye
Driver School Candidate

Found issue had to look close but one of the main fuses. See how it is gold and not silver. How does one replace this? Also anyone know what it goes to?

swfla (04-22-20)

Quick Reply: '07 LS 460 not starting