LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Exterior LS Mod EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 10:34 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Best Exterior LS Mod EVER!

Well not necessarily a "mod" but I think it's the best bang for you buck when it comes to maintaining the exterior of your LS. I just applied the CQuartz UK 3.0 kit to my car and boy does it seem like the day I drove it off the lot. Super glossy, durable finish with great protecting capabilities that can last up to a couple years, I ask myself why didn't I find this sooner. Pictures don't do it justice..

No filters on any of these pics. Easy DIY, just time consuming. You should really check out the product and invest in your vehicle.
The following 6 users liked this post by Acura2Lex:
DaveGS4 (04-27-20), DavidinCT (04-26-20), dlbuckls10 (04-26-20), Duck05 (04-29-20), Nospinzone (04-27-20), ShaneAlan (04-30-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-25-20, 09:20 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice..
Old 04-26-20, 09:38 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

On the detailing forms some don't recommend the ceramic coatings. Look good and last longer. But like anything will eventually fail even with the maintenance steps. And this product needs to be completely removed to start over. You do so with a buffer and polishing compound. You will then remove some clear coat. This step best left to a professional since you can do some damage if dont know what you are doing. If not careful can remove to much clear coat.
I think it is good if you only keep a car about 5 years and don't have to deal with the removing. I keep mine long term so I passed.
Would like to see some more info and what people think of it 5 years or more from now. Before I consider.
But the car really does look great in your pics.
Old 04-27-20, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Like anything else, it doesn't last forever. And it doesn't have to be removed unless you want to remove it before its gone.

I've switched to only using ceramic coatings.
Old 04-27-20, 10:51 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Like anything else, it doesn't last forever. And it doesn't have to be removed unless you want to remove it before its gone.

\
Yes, i would want to remove it. Would not want it blotchy looking with one area failing and the other still good and take years to wear off.
Old 04-27-20, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RR601
\
Yes, i would want to remove it. Would not want it blotchy looking with one area failing and the other still good and take years to wear off.
It doesn't get blotchy looking LOL. It simply wears away like any other sealant or wax. To look at the car you would never know it had worn away, the only way you can tell is when the water beading performance starts to wane.

Where do people get this stuff?!
Old 04-27-20, 01:38 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toantran99
Very nice..
Thanks. Here's what I used.

On the detailing forms some don't recommend the ceramic coatings. Look good and last longer. But like anything will eventually fail even with the maintenance steps. And this product needs to be completely removed to start over. You do so with a buffer and polishing compound. You will then remove some clear coat. This step best left to a professional since you can do some damage if dont know what you are doing. If not careful can remove to much clear coat.
I think it is good if you only keep a car about 5 years and don't have to deal with the removing. I keep mine long term so I passed.
Would like to see some more info and what people think of it 5 years or more from now. Before I consider.
But the car really does look great in your pics.
Thank you. And sorry you are completely misinformed. SW17LS is 100% correct, it's just like a sealant or wax that just simply wears away over time so you don't get any blotches or weird defects. Think of it as the new modern wax that lasts 20x longer and durable as well.

It doesn't get blotchy looking LOL. It simply wears away like any other sealant or wax. To look at the car you would never know it had worn away, the only way you can tell is when the water beading performance starts to wane.

Where do people get this stuff?!
You hit the nail on the head. I think some people just perceive the wrong information online with unreliable sources that have no actual experience with the product.
Old 04-27-20, 02:00 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Which ceramic coating did you use and how was it?
Old 04-27-20, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Acura2Lex
Which ceramic coating did you use and how was it?
Mine has 22ple HPC on it. Its a little over 2 years old. Its worn, needs to be redone. I have CarPro CQUK 3.0 and Gliss to redo it with, its on my list of pandemic activities lol
Old 04-27-20, 04:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Nice job Acura2Lex!

Six years ago I used 22ple on my wife's 2001 Jag S-Type. I told her I was taking care of her car first, but in reality I used it as practice before I did my cars . I then did my LS and then my 612. The coatings lasted 5 years and my LS sits outdoors. As Steve said, as the coating ages the only way you notice is the way the water no longer beads.

Last year I used the Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0 on the 612 and the car looks great. The 22ple was fine, I just decided to switch. I didn't get to the LS, but that will be done soon (as soon as we get a little warmer weather here). After that I'll do the FF.

If you've never done it before there is plenty of info in the Automotive Care and Detailing forum and also at detailedimage.com as well as some other detailing sites. It takes me two full days, but that's because I'm meticulous and I go slowly since I'm not a professional. With the random orbit polishers if you take your time, follow directions and go easy, you won't damage the paint.
Old 04-27-20, 05:27 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acura2Lex
Thanks. Here's what I used.

Thank you. And sorry you are completely misinformed. SW17LS is 100% correct, it's just like a sealant or wax that just simply wears away over time so you don't get any blotches or weird defects. Think of it as the new modern wax that lasts 20x longer and durable as well.

You hit the nail on the head. I think some people just perceive the wrong information online with unreliable sources that have no actual experience with the product.

https://www.carceramiccoating.com/ho...yer-of-coating

This is just one source
Old 04-27-20, 10:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Youre misunderstanding. If you’re going to apply a new coating, yes you need to polish. You always need to polish before a ceramic coating. There is no visibility to the coating wearing off though. If you don’t want to replace it with another coating you don’t need to remove the old coating, just use whatever wax or sealant you want to.
Old 04-28-20, 02:11 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Mine has 22ple HPC on it. Its a little over 2 years old. Its worn, needs to be redone. I have CarPro CQUK 3.0 and Gliss to redo it with, its on my list of pandemic activities lol
Nice, 22ple HPC has some great reviews. The CarPro CQ.UK 3.0 is a great choice as well and after plenty of research, that's the one I chose to stick with. Hahah and yeah this was one of the fun pandemic activities I had planned and definitely worth my time.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Nice job Acura2Lex!

Six years ago I used 22ple on my wife's 2001 Jag S-Type. I told her I was taking care of her car first, but in reality I used it as practice before I did my cars . I then did my LS and then my 612. The coatings lasted 5 years and my LS sits outdoors. As Steve said, as the coating ages the only way you notice is the way the water no longer beads.

Last year I used the Carpro Cquartz UK 3.0 on the 612 and the car looks great. The 22ple was fine, I just decided to switch. I didn't get to the LS, but that will be done soon (as soon as we get a little warmer weather here). After that I'll do the FF.

If you've never done it before there is plenty of info in the Automotive Care and Detailing forum and also at detailedimage.com as well as some other detailing sites. It takes me two full days, but that's because I'm meticulous and I go slowly since I'm not a professional. With the random orbit polishers if you take your time, follow directions and go easy, you won't damage the paint.
LOL. You are a smart man, killing two birds with one stone.

I'm the same way, I take my time because the best job done is the job I do myself. It took me close to 10 hours from start to finish including wash, clay, buff, polish, eraser, coating then reload + 2 days of cure time.

I understand this is something new to you and you are hesitant. But it's always like that with an "investment" of some sort, you could go big or could go home. When I first purchased a property at 23, it wasn't in the best area. But 4 years later I made more than double the equity on it. To me, even protecting the car's paint is an investment of some sort, so I decided to research and go for it. Trust me, if you get it done right, Ceramic Coating is definitely worth while and you'll come out the other end more than satisfied.
Old 04-29-20, 08:33 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

CQuartz is great, I have a few friends that have used it and praise it as well.

I've never used it firsthand but have used Modesta which I'm quite happy with, paired with XPEL Ultimate, it does wonders.
Old 04-30-20, 08:56 PM
Acura2Lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tofuprod
CQuartz is great, I have a few friends that have used it and praise it as well.

I've never used it firsthand but have used Modesta which I'm quite happy with, paired with XPEL Ultimate, it does wonders.
You should definitely give it a try! Any legit Ceramic Coating is definitely worth it.