LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Has anyone found relatively cheap air strut replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 07:34 PM
Brnlxndr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone found relatively cheap air strut replacements?

I'm looking at buying this 2010 LS460 L for only 10k. It is kitted with the executive package in black, looks to be in immaculate shape.
The only problem is that at highway speeds the suspension is spongy. I LOVED the way this car feels though.
When hopping on forums all the threads seems to suggest tossing the air ride. Is there really no affordable option for air suspension?
Old 04-24-20, 08:27 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

I had an LS without air and my current one has air suspension. Like you, I really love the ride it gives. I haven't priced the cost of repair. There are several things that can go wrong, so there's not one simple answer. Hopefully someone can chime in with some prices. I've seen them mentioned before here on the forum. The car you're looking at sounds like a GREAT price especially since it has the executive package part of which is the air ride. My thought is, if the system needs repair, you can either switch it to standard coils or repair and keep the super smooth ride. Once it's repaired, you're good for a long time. I'm guessing it's not a whole lot more to repair it and keep the air. It does seem to me that the people who have negative opinions about the air system have the spring system. Basically giving the reason/supporting why they got the spring system in the first place. The unpleasant thought of a repair. There's nothing wrong with that preference either. Reminds me of my parents, they didn't want electric windows in their 1970s cars because "it was something else to fix". But I enjoy the smooth ride so much that I think the years of happiness I get overshadows the repair cost and time. It's not like you need to fix the air system every few years. I think many people are going well over 100k miles before repairing. If you go to the main page for 4th generation, there's some sticky posts about repairs and maintenance. In there is some discussion of some after market products and general air info you may find helpful.
The following users liked this post:
Brnlxndr (04-24-20)
Old 04-24-20, 09:23 PM
LS460Crown
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I had an LS without air and my current one has air suspension. Like you, I really love the ride it gives. I haven't priced the cost of repair. There are several things that can go wrong, so there's not one simple answer. Hopefully someone can chime in with some prices. I've seen them mentioned before here on the forum. The car you're looking at sounds like a GREAT price especially since it has the executive package part of which is the air ride. My thought is, if the system needs repair, you can either switch it to standard coils or repair and keep the super smooth ride. Once it's repaired, you're good for a long time. I'm guessing it's not a whole lot more to repair it and keep the air. It does seem to me that the people who have negative opinions about the air system have the spring system. Basically giving the reason/supporting why they got the spring system in the first place. The unpleasant thought of a repair. There's nothing wrong with that preference either. Reminds me of my parents, they didn't want electric windows in their 1970s cars because "it was something else to fix". But I enjoy the smooth ride so much that I think the years of happiness I get overshadows the repair cost and time. It's not like you need to fix the air system every few years. I think many people are going well over 100k miles before repairing. If you go to the main page for 4th generation, there's some sticky posts about repairs and maintenance. In there is some discussion of some after market products and general air info you may find helpful.
I think you nailed it. I love the air ride, and I've decided I'm willing to either replace with OEM air struts or get them repaired. But I haven't seen anywhere on these threads where someone has removed the existing struts and had them repaired with, I'm assuming new rubber, etc. I have heard the Arnott struts don't have the damping ability of the OEM KYB air struts.
Brnlxndr (04-24-20)
Old 04-24-20, 10:27 PM
Brnlxndr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla

Thank you for the good info! I am pretty handy so I don't mind repairing myself. I like the idea you had of refurbishing instead of just replacing. The functionality of the adjustable suspension is worth some amount of additional labor and money in my mind. I wonder if KYB would be willing to refurbish the shocks if I sent them in.
Old 04-25-20, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think refurbishing them is difficult because of the way they are designed, at least thats what I have read. I don't think there's any option really but to replace.
swfla (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 02:50 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

The issue in the US is cost, in Russia more so than in Ukraine there are TONS of options to refurb. I for one will be moving over to stock coils. Because I do not think the air suspension is mean up deal with the roads here.

If you want to put some money into it why not get custom ones made by King shocks or some offroad type company.
swfla (04-25-20)