LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Running w/out PCV connected to intake while spraying TB w/CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleane

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 04:46 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Running w/out PCV connected to intake while spraying TB w/CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleane

I just finished preparing to run CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner via spraying directly into the throttle body with short bursts while holding revs @ 2,000 RPM. This is of course the best possible route of application as it not only improves effectiveness but this product like many would be extremely harmful to MAF sensors and so the only other option would be to run the straw through intake pipe past the MAF as far as possible (but I've read many anecdotal reports of blowback still damaging the sensors). My question is will running without the two PCV hoses attached to the "Y Collector" while applying would be of any detriment? I don't pretend to fully understand advanced/closed systems and vacuum, etc.
Old 04-27-20, 05:02 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I ran that once i pulled off the intake to the TB and inserted the straw and slipped the intake back over the TB. Kept the RPM's up as i sprayed the cleaner. Ran the whole bottle or so let it sit than started it up drove it up on the highway. it blew heavy smoke for a while like it was supposed too.
Old 04-27-20, 05:47 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by cryptodoni
I just finished preparing to run CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner via spraying directly into the throttle body with short bursts while holding revs @ 2,000 RPM. This is of course the best possible route of application as it not only improves effectiveness but this product like many would be extremely harmful to MAF sensors and so the only other option would be to run the straw through intake pipe past the MAF as far as possible (but I've read many anecdotal reports of blowback still damaging the sensors). My question is will running without the two PCV hoses attached to the "Y Collector" while applying would be of any detriment? I don't pretend to fully understand advanced/closed systems and vacuum, etc.
The car will shut off without the Y connected. I recently tried to do it that way.
Old 04-27-20, 06:23 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sha4000
The car will shut off without the Y connected. I recently tried to do it that way.
Yeah that's exactly what I just found out... Tried to start it a few times and it stalled pretty much immediately. Tried just connecting the "Y" to the TB with the PCV hoses in place and same result. So now I've put everything back together and a couple tries to start failed again. Didn't want to drain the battery too so I stopped there and consulted Techstream. It's showing three DTCs:
P1603 - Engine Stall History
P1604 - Startability Malfunction
P1605 - Rough Idle (This was already present but hadn't thrown a CEL a couple days ago with the report showing only one instance of the rough idle occuring before this event which was one of the things I had hoped to address with the cleaning)

Not sure what next steps are but I am going to pull the MAF's, clean and reinstall them. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? Thanks!
Old 04-27-20, 06:42 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

I am still learning and figuring out Techstream but I was able to print a PDF of the diagnostics report/data from what I believe are the Rough Idle events. Attached it here in case someone with more expertise and understanding than me could make anything of it. I can look at individual parameters and identify problematic data but where to go from there, I am not there yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Store DTC Printing(S821-05).pdf (121.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-29-20, 02:39 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Well I've got everything back in order and completed the cleaner application as well. After putting everything back together on the intake I let it sit overnight. This morning I pulled the ETCS & EFI fuses and then cleaned the MAFs as well as the throttle body. Buttoned it back up again and it started right up on the first try with a completely smooth idle @ approx. 700rpm once up to temp. Just figured I'd update this in case anyone else ever stumbles across this when searching for similar keywords.
The following 3 users liked this post by cryptodonis:
baam (05-02-20), cochiseg (04-30-20), NotFasty (04-29-20)