LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Reupholstered My Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 09:16 AM
Hotboy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ado460L
YES, Lexus did deny me, as the car was out the window of the recall (I bought the car used).
Nice job! What year is your vehicle? Has this been a problem with multiple years? Just curious for when I get to buying a 430.
Old 05-06-20, 10:34 AM
RC350X
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Man that looks really good i love it that people tackle stuff like this, My RC had both the plates that hold the headrests internally had the nuts back off and fall into the headrest and start to raddle...I started to do a Totorial on it as i tore them down and repaired it using lock washers to assure it would never happen again. Good job!
Old 05-07-20, 05:49 PM
Zwilhelm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus replaces mine

That does look great! God job!
my Dash, all arm panels were gummy, sticky and melting.. the dash was to the point I could not see. Was a safety issue so I contacted Lexus directly.. oddly enough got a call within a week. Lexus of mobile swapped them out free of charge. I just had to drive a few hours to make it happen..
Old 05-07-20, 06:54 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow, that's impressive. I would never have the courage to do that!

On another note, that Super 77 is amazing stuff. I have a can from like 15-18 years ago that I still use. Works like the day I bought it.
Old 05-08-20, 02:53 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I see a couple of 07-12 dashboards on ebay with photos at ~$750+. It can give you an idea of the level of difficulty to replace it. These do not say if they are the "sticky" version. I don't think you can tell by the photos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-10...ally+Aspirated

ETA:
I just found this product. https://stickydashfix.com/

Last edited by mdpresco; 05-08-20 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-08-20, 02:55 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hotboy1
nice job! What year is your vehicle? Has this been a problem with multiple years? Just curious for when i get to buying a 430.
2007 ls460l
Old 05-08-20, 02:57 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RC350X
Man that looks really good i love it that people tackle stuff like this, My RC had both the plates that hold the headrests internally had the nuts back off and fall into the headrest and start to raddle...I started to do a Totorial on it as i tore them down and repaired it using lock washers to assure it would never happen again. Good job!
Thx. Yeah at this point I'd rather just try if it seems doable. Wasn't about to spend a gang load to buy new panels, that's for sure. Appreciate the encouragement.
Old 05-08-20, 02:59 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zwilhelm
That does look great! God job!
my Dash, all arm panels were gummy, sticky and melting.. the dash was to the point I could not see. Was a safety issue so I contacted Lexus directly.. oddly enough got a call within a week. Lexus of mobile swapped them out free of charge. I just had to drive a few hours to make it happen..
Excuse while I pick my jaw off the floor. Def happy for you though, nobody deserves to be dismissed by MFR for such an obvious QC issue. (My opinion).
Old 05-08-20, 03:02 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DerrickM

On another note, that Super 77 is amazing stuff. I have a can from like 15-18 years ago that I still use. Works like the day I bought it.
Thx Derrick, being denied, and also being so particular about things, it just seemed like I had nothing to lose at this point.
Let's hope you never have to muster the courage because a MFR is playing hot potato for years in hopes people default.out.
Either way it still been a good DIY for me,and learning, and I'm hoping the front door sections will be easier. Cheers!

Last edited by Ado460L; 05-08-20 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 03:07 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdpresco
I see a couple of 07-12 dashboards on ebay with photos at ~$750+. It can give you an idea of the level of difficulty to replace it. These do not say if they are the "sticky" version. I don't think you can tell by the photos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-10...ally+Aspirated
Yeah thx. I just imagine its tedious time consuming work to get it out, but probably not rocket science. I mean they're pulling them at the dealer and replacing them, so it CAN be done (I wonder if they're using senior techs on pulling it or outsourcing to local body shop?...hmmmmm)
I've been searching for like a dashmat/dashcover in like faux leather,i dark brown as a temporary option, just not feeling the fabric ones, but haven't ran across one that looks "passable" . Please feel free to post any links to covers as the alternative over pulling out the whole dash.
Old 05-08-20, 03:10 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

New can, but I have used it when I built a fabric, foam padded bed headboard 10+ yrs ago.
Btw, on the first panel I did months back (I didn't post on that), I used the Locktite spray adhesive cause that's what they had at the fabric store, and it worked well too.
Old 05-09-20, 09:41 PM
GhostfaceK
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats tight
The following users liked this post:
Ado460L (05-11-20)
Old 05-17-20, 07:40 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

Updated with pics and some instructions for the front door panel removal. Hope this is helping. 3 panels down, 1 to go.
Old 05-17-20, 09:37 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ado460L
New can, but I have used it when I built a fabric, foam padded bed headboard 10+ yrs ago.
Btw, on the first panel I did months back (I didn't post on that), I used the Locktite spray adhesive cause that's what they had at the fabric store, and it worked well too.
I just used my ancient Super 77 spray today to bond sandpaper to glass for sharpening chisels, and sure enough works like the day I bought it. Gotta love 3M.

Amazing work, by the way!
Old 05-17-20, 09:47 PM
Ado460L
Driver School Candidate

I just used my ancient Super 77 spray today to bond sandpaper to glass for sharpening chisels, and sure enough works like the day I bought it. Gotta love 3M.

Amazing work, by the way!
Hahaha....that made me chuckle. Thx, when the door panels are done, I have to seriously ponder the dash and look at options.

Quick Reply: Reupholstered My Door Panels