LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Gosh, the '13+ has aged well...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 11:16 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TANORWAY
My 2013 LS600HL with 130.000 miles has never had a problem. My friends 600HL 2008 has also never had a problem except upper control arm left side, his car has 99.000 miles.
For the 2008 any issues with the hybrid battery as it is 12 years old?
Old 05-26-20, 11:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ragabnh
For the 1990 LS 400, Steering rack needed to be replaced as it was leaking badly a known issue for that model year, also A/C went out spent almost $2000 to get it fixed at dealer, radio lcd control panel was bleeding and needed to be replaced. Car was given to my inlaw with 130k miles on the clock,

For the 2002 LS 430 was sold at 85k miles at 2008 and the issue was the driver seat window electric switch went bad and was replaced by dealer,

always service my cars at dealership or Lexus specialized Technician,
Sounds like you got a lemon with the 1990, honestly.

As for LS430, a window switch? Lol come on.
Old 05-26-20, 11:45 AM
TANORWAY
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

For the 2008 any issues with the hybrid battery as it is 12 years old?
No. My previous neighbor has two 2004 Prius with original hybrid battery, I belive one of them has 300.000 miles.

In my country with 5 million people I believe it's around 200.000 hybrid Toyota/lexus, and 99% of new Toyota/lexus sold are hybrid. The funny part is that my trusted toyota mechanic told me he has never replaced a hybrid battery since he started to work for Toyota in 2005. he had only heard of 3 replaced battery packs.

people overreacts, most LS600 owners has never changed the battery.
Old 05-26-20, 02:50 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJT123
Sounds like you got a lemon with the 1990, honestly.

As for LS430, a window switch? Lol come on.
For the LS 400, you may check that model boards, they were common problems with leaking steering racks and messed up radio/AC displays , as for the A/C it just quit working after 9 years. Remember these issues happened after 100k miles. As for the LS 430 I sold it when it was 6 years old with less than 100k miles so I cannot say other than the window quit working and I had to take to dealer, if I recall correctly it was also a common issue with the 2001/2002 models.

I am not putting Lexus down, I am just stating my own experience with the cars and they were very reliable but when you go over 100k miles things do happen. Also would not buy the used Germans without a warranty and certainly less than 40k miles or 3 years old.

I forgot to mention that the leather on the LS400 was in bad shape, I guess the heat in Nevada. My current 2013 LS 460 with 54k miles on the clock, the trunk quit working and the lock was replaced by dealer since it was certified car and under 2 years extended warranty.

Last edited by ragabnh; 05-26-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 03:12 PM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TANORWAY
No. My previous neighbor has two 2004 Prius with original hybrid battery, I belive one of them has 300.000 miles.

In my country with 5 million people I believe it's around 200.000 hybrid Toyota/lexus, and 99% of new Toyota/lexus sold are hybrid. The funny part is that my trusted toyota mechanic told me he has never replaced a hybrid battery since he started to work for Toyota in 2005. he had only heard of 3 replaced battery packs.

people overreacts, most LS600 owners has never changed the battery.
That is impressive, few Prius owners were replacing the batteries after 10 years and high mileage. I do not know about the LS 600 hybrid so I will take your word for it.
Old 05-26-20, 04:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

For the LS 400, you may check that model boards, they were common problems with leaking steering racks and messed up radio/AC displays , as for the A/C it just quit working after 9 years. Remember these issues happened after 100k miles. As for the LS 430 I sold it when it was 6 years old with less than 100k miles so I cannot say other than the window quit working and I had to take to dealer, if I recall correctly it was also a common issue with the 2001/2002 models.

I am not putting Lexus down, I am just stating my own experience with the cars and they were very reliable but when you go over 100k miles things do happen. Also would not buy the used Germans without a warranty and certainly less than 40k miles or 3 years old.

I forgot to mention that the leather on the LS400 was in bad shape, I guess the heat in Nevada. My current 2013 LS 460 with 54k miles on the clock, the trunk quit working and the lock was replaced by dealer since it was certified car and under 2 years extended warranty.
IDK I don't see replacing A/C at 9 years old being that huge of an issue. I've never heard about windows being a problem but door locks on the 430, yes. Mine is out and I just refuse to pay the dealer $850 to fix it. I keep cars for a very long time so I guess we see things differently. A door lock or an A/C pump not the end of the world, parts fail. Now my A/C I would fix immediately, though.

But yes I get it, I would NEVER own a German car unless I leased it and I hate leasing so it's never gonna happen.

They design their parts to fail, or spend so much time making something unnecessarily complicated that it hardly works in the first place. Kinda like how BMW can't make a V8 engine.
Old 05-26-20, 05:36 PM
TANORWAY
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That is impressive, few Prius owners were replacing the batteries after 10 years and high mileage. I do not know about the LS 600 hybrid so I will take your word for it.

Old 05-26-20, 05:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

--------------^

That's pretty nuts.
Old 05-27-20, 05:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I have always liked the 2013+ 460's but they have continued to grow on me as well (I own a 2010 with 5 star wheels). Currently torn between my next car being a Tesla (probably model Y) or a 2015 or 2016 LS460L. I like a lot of the interior upgrades of the 2013+ but really dislike the infotainment setup - it's actually why I bought a 2010 3 years ago instead of buying a 2013 or 2014. If I go 460 again, I'll absolutely be bringing my 5 star wheels over to the newer LS. I've seen a few pics where people have done that and it looks awesome. I live in an area (and a state) where 460's are plentiful and can get a good value - it will be interesting to see which way I go. I just did a 1,000 mile round-trip road trip in my LS and it was spectacular. I continue to believe there is no better car for a road trip than the LS (400, 430, and 460 included).
Old 05-27-20, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

You get used to the remote touch. Having had Lexus vehicles with touchscreens and with the remote touch, I see no difference between the two of them. One you touch with your finger, the other you touch with a cursor. Touchscreen easier to use when stopped, mouse easier to use when moving.
Old 05-27-20, 06:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You get used to the remote touch. Having had Lexus vehicles with touchscreens and with the remote touch, I see no difference between the two of them. One you touch with your finger, the other you touch with a cursor. Touchscreen easier to use when stopped, mouse easier to use when moving.
Still a struggle for me to adapt to it. A few of my buddies have newer GS's (I'd say 2016-2018) and I assume those are using the same track pad as the LS (??) - I just don't like it and find it hard and sometimes overly sensitive. Also any time I have been given a loaner from Lexus with a RX or ES that uses it, I realize how much I dislike it. I not only dislike the trackpad/mouse, but also find the actual interface of the infotainment incredibly non-intuitive and unnecessarily complex.

The ride quality of the LS is unmatched by anything else I'd consider (other than a pre-owned S class), but that infotainment setup kept me away from a 2013+ before and it may keep me away again.
Old 05-27-20, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you use it every day, you'll adapt quickly. There are also sensitivity settings and adjusting those makes a huge difference in how it functions (default they are set to low, you have to set to high)

The interface to the infotainment is basically the same as its always been from Lexus.

Truly, not buying one of these because of the remote touch is silly. Its a non issue.
Old 05-27-20, 08:02 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you use it every day, you'll adapt quickly. There are also sensitivity settings and adjusting those makes a huge difference in how it functions (default they are set to low, you have to set to high)

The interface to the infotainment is basically the same as its always been from Lexus.

Truly, not buying one of these because of the remote touch is silly. Its a non issue.
Sensitivity settings puts me at ease a bit - I'd need to play with it for a couple of days to see. I disagree on not buying a car due to remote touch and/or the interface - it's the main way of interacting with the car on a daily basis. I would absolutely avoid buying a car if I didn't like the interface. I absolutely hate whatever interface is in the RX's I've received as loaners the last 2+ years. It has been several years since I played with the system in the 2013+ LS so I'd give it a fair chance to see if I could live with it. It's the only thing I don't like about the car (other than wheel options but I can address that by using my current wheels).
Old 05-27-20, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Sensitivity settings puts me at ease a bit - I'd need to play with it for a couple of days to see. I disagree on not buying a car due to remote touch and/or the interface - it's the main way of interacting with the car on a daily basis. I would absolutely avoid buying a car if I didn't like the interface. I absolutely hate whatever interface is in the RX's I've received as loaners the last 2+ years. It has been several years since I played with the system in the 2013+ LS so I'd give it a fair chance to see if I could live with it. It's the only thing I don't like about the car (other than wheel options but I can address that by using my current wheels).
You don’t have a loaner long enough to get a feel for it, and it’s the stock settings. I’ve had 3 cars now with remote touch and it’s just not an issue. If anything I prefer it to the touchscreen
Old 05-27-20, 08:51 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

But yes I get it, I would NEVER own a German car unless I leased it and I hate leasing so it's never gonna happen.

They design their parts to fail, or spend so much time making something unnecessarily complicated that it hardly works in the first place. Kinda like how BMW can't make a V8 engine.
LOL. Typical fanboy.

Quick Reply: Gosh, the '13+ has aged well...