LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question regarding aftermarkt wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 01:49 AM
FDD
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Question regarding aftermarkt wheels

Hi all,

I have been searching overhere in The Netherlands for aftermarket wheels for my 2007LS460. I read here almost every day and based on the pictures in the wheel thread I decided to go for 21 inch. However this turned out to be not so easy to put it nicely. The LS460 was definitely not a big seller and if you find some wheels they are extremely expensive, also I can not check if they fit nice under the car, have to pay first then they get orderd and if I like them or not have to take them.

Since I also would like to keep some comfort I would like a slighty higher tyre then usual. I would like to to go with:
Front 245/40/21
Rear:275 or 285/35/21
However the supplier mentioned to me that this can be a problem for the emmisioncomputer in our cars? It gets wrong input and can therefor have damaging effect... I know the LS has a lot of computers, but did anybody heard something like this before? I drive now on the stock wheels with 245/45/19 all around them, to me the difference is not that big...

Then a small financial question, I thought that having a budget of around 4500 dollar for the wheels would be okay. Sadly I got quotes for wheels which I liked in the range of 7000-11500 dollar, which is to me insane. After 3 months searching I have now one wheel I like and comes within budget and is a good quality wheel. What do you guys think taking my budget in account is it possible to buy for my budget good quality wheels at your place? I can get them shipped overhere with an old employer
Old 06-04-20, 03:46 AM
eclipse641
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FDD
Hi all,

I have been searching overhere in The Netherlands for aftermarket wheels for my 2007LS460. I read here almost every day and based on the pictures in the wheel thread I decided to go for 21 inch. However this turned out to be not so easy to put it nicely. The LS460 was definitely not a big seller and if you find some wheels they are extremely expensive, also I can not check if they fit nice under the car, have to pay first then they get orderd and if I like them or not have to take them.

Since I also would like to keep some comfort I would like a slighty higher tyre then usual. I would like to to go with:
Front 245/40/21
Rear:275 or 285/35/21
However the supplier mentioned to me that this can be a problem for the emmisioncomputer in our cars? It gets wrong input and can therefor have damaging effect... I know the LS has a lot of computers, but did anybody heard something like this before? I drive now on the stock wheels with 245/45/19 all around them, to me the difference is not that big...

Then a small financial question, I thought that having a budget of around 4500 dollar for the wheels would be okay. Sadly I got quotes for wheels which I liked in the range of 7000-11500 dollar, which is to me insane. After 3 months searching I have now one wheel I like and comes within budget and is a good quality wheel. What do you guys think taking my budget in account is it possible to buy for my budget good quality wheels at your place? I can get them shipped overhere with an old employer
I would stick with OEM wheels no bigger then 19-20. Anything else is too big and due to cause problems.
Old 06-04-20, 05:25 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

If it were me, I would not go any larger than 20 inch. I wanted to stay as close to OEM sizes, so I chose 19x8.5 for all four wheels. The 21 inch size will limit you on what is available, and from what I've seen and read, tires are more expensive as well. Regardless of wheel size, I think it's best to stay as close to the overall OEM diameter of the wheel and tire combined.

Please keep in mind that these figures are not 100% accurate but are relatively close for comparison purposes (because wheels, and especially tires, will not all have exact same measurements/dimensions). The factory 18" wheel with 235/50 tire has an overall diameter of 692.2mm (18" wheel = 457.2mm, 235/50 tire = 235mm)
19" with 245/45 = 703.2mm.

Overall diameters for the sizes you are considering: Front 245/40/21 = 729.4mm (21" wheel = 533.4mm, 245/40 tire = 196mm)
Rear 275 or 285/35/21 = 725.9mm & 722mm

As you can see, the overall diameters of the sizes you are considering are about 37mm larger than the 18" setup from the factory. I cannot say from experience, but I'm pretty sure that will cause issues with these vehicles. Others here will probably have more info as to how this will adversely affect the computers/ECUs/speedo, etc. Here is my '07 Lwb with 19x8.5 wheels (+34mm offset) and 245/45 BF Goodrich COMP-2 A/S tires. Car here is lowered quite a bit with the Data System controller, however, wheels fit inside the wheels wells with plenty of room and no rubbing or other issues so far. I also calculated that if I wanted a slight tire width increase when these need replacing, I could go with 255/40 and be at an overall diameter of 686.6mm (puts it in between the 18" OEM setup and my current one). I did not realize that I would be doing this much math this early today, so forgive me if any of my calculations may be off.

One last thing to keep in mind when running a staggered setup with directional tires, is that you will not be able to rotate them (at least safely and per manufacturers' recommendations).

The following users liked this post:
FDD (06-04-20)
Old 06-04-20, 07:22 AM
FDD
Rookie

Thanks Iwphat66 for your very usefull reply.

Just to clearify my original setup is the standard 19 inch 5 spokewheel with 245/45/19 inch tyres.

Thefastest way to drive to work is through Germany. Due to regulations I need a second set of wheels, 1x for winter tyres and 1x summer tires.

Went to the Lexus dealer and asked for a new set of wheels which they can deliver for around 3000 dollar excluding tyres. Since I dont like them too much and find the gap in between the tyres and the body of the car too big I started my search to fill this gap and find wheels i like.

Also i dont want to ruin the comfort of the car, hence why I would like slighty higher tyres then you normally put on 21 inch wheels. Was thinking that i this way soled both problems

I will maybe drive 6000 km on the summerser and 4000 km on the winterset a year. Dont drive much due to my work, which sends me around the world up to 220 days a year.

So it can be true what the wheelerdealer is saying that the emissioncomputer is getting wrong input, which can in worst case hurt my engine?? Wasnt expecting that...

Ow and my LS is an 2007 SWB RWD

Last edited by FDD; 06-04-20 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 08:16 AM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by FDD
So it can be true what the wheelerdealer is saying that the emissioncomputer is getting wrong input, which can in worst case hurt my engine?? Wasnt expecting that...

I can't imagine that the tire size is going to in anyway impact emissions. Changing the tire size could impact the accuracy of a speedometer, but that's it. I'd be interested if anyone has contrary info.

Here is a handy website for comparing tire sizes -

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Old 06-04-20, 02:15 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by FDD
Thanks Iwphat66 for your very usefull reply.

Just to clearify my original setup is the standard 19 inch 5 spokewheel with 245/45/19 inch tyres.

Thefastest way to drive to work is through Germany. Due to regulations I need a second set of wheels, 1x for winter tyres and 1x summer tires.

Went to the Lexus dealer and asked for a new set of wheels which they can deliver for around 3000 dollar excluding tyres. Since I dont like them too much and find the gap in between the tyres and the body of the car too big I started my search to fill this gap and find wheels i like.

Also i dont want to ruin the comfort of the car, hence why I would like slighty higher tyres then you normally put on 21 inch wheels. Was thinking that i this way soled both problems

I will maybe drive 6000 km on the summerser and 4000 km on the winterset a year. Dont drive much due to my work, which sends me around the world up to 220 days a year.

Okay, I think I understand what your goal is. With that in mind, I would still consider going with 20 inch wheels because (for the most part): 1) there will be a greater selection of wheels and tires to choose from, 2) both wheels and tires will be less expensive, 3) you will still achieve the overall diameter increase you are seeking to reduce the gap, and 4) the higher profile tires of the 20s means slightly better ride as well as more protection against damage to the wheels. That being said, these are the sizes which are comparable to the ones you listed, and both overall diameters are nearly the same: Front 245/45/20 = 728.5mm, Rear 275/40/20 = 728mm

But if you are really set on the 21s, then I understand. The speedometer will show you are going slower than your actual speed, but I really don't think any modules or the engine will be affected. Acceleration and fuel economy will probably decrease slightly. I cannot speak from personal experience with the LS, but with trucks I've owned and worked on with friends, larger wheel and/or tire size (much more than you are thinking of doing) had resulted in more strain/wear on some of the following parts, but the trucks still ran fine, just certain parts wore out faster than normal and was expected: brake pads and brake system components, wheels bearings/hubs, and possibly suspension parts. With our cars already having bushing/control arm issues, I'm not sure how much an increase in the overall diameter would affect this, if at all.

Good luck brother in whichever direction you choose!
The following users liked this post:
FDD (06-06-20)
Old 06-06-20, 05:36 AM
FDD
Rookie

And again thanks for your answer...

It gets me thinking about 20 inch also, but i dont want to lower my car.

To be honest expected already that it has no influence on emmission, however since this is my first Lexus and it has way more computers / electronics then all my cars before i thought it was better to ask.

Also got quotes from wheelerdealers like: With 21 inch wheels or bigger you are not insured, smiled at them telling them that their business apparantly goes very well and they dont need my money.

Like mentioned before your replies get me also searching for 20 inch, however for now 21 inch stays favourite. We will see where it ends...